Let me bow down to...

Avsfan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greivis = Top 5 all-time Terp.

And I'll admit to being a staunch Gary defender through everything, but it was the complete implosion of his highest-rated recruiting class ever (Gilchrist/McCray/Garrison/et al) that led to two of the three NITs. Combine that with a transition period in his support staff (Hahn, Dickerson and Patsos take head coaching jobs, as does Lonergan and Moxley flaked out) and I can't bring myself to blame all the recruiting issues on him. Just can't do it. He recruits his types of guys and he gets them to win. Now that he has a staff in place and has rid the system of the bad apples, we've started to see that again.

And I'll admit to being a staunch Gary defender through everything, but it was the complete implosion of his highest-rated recruiting class ever (Gilchrist/McCray/Garrison/et al) that led to two of the three NITs. Combine that with a transition period in his support staff (Hahn, Dickerson and Patsos take head coaching jobs, as does Lonergan and Moxley flaked out) and I can't bring myself to blame all the recruiting issues on him. Just can't do it. He recruits his types of guys and he gets them to win. Now that he has a staff in place and has rid the system of the bad apples, we've started to see that again.

I agree for the most part. Mosely has turned into a Mouton clone, not a high scorer or very flashy, but players like that do all of the little things.

On a side note can anyone explain to me how Williams got 3 of those fouls today? Holding your arms up is a foul? And yes I watched the replays in detail.

Those yellow(more gold) unis are tough to watch...Really can't stand them...They are actually worse than the new unis Duke has, with the stupid ass gray swirls on the back. lol

Anyway, MD looks real good but they still need a few more good wins IMO.

Their best win is at FSU and that's about it...FSU at home is probably their next best win.

I am not trying to take anything away from MD...just saying that the level of competition they are beating up on isn't all that great...Now, they are playing very good team basketball for what I have seen and they have an experienced backcourt and one of the best players in the conference(GV) but still, they need some more impressive wins, especially on the road.

They have Duke twice and some other tough conference games left, so they will get their chance to add to the FSU win.

If Vazquez was on any other team, you all would treat him like a cross between Hines Ward and Dustin Pedroia..He's a terrific talent though, just a joy to watch as a fan.

If he played for Duke he probably would have been the victim of the first on-court shooting in college basketball history. But he's not, he's ours, and that's all that matters :laughlol:

Those yellow(more gold) unis are tough to watch...Really can't stand them...They are actually worse than the new unis Duke has, with the stupid ass gray swirls on the back. lol

Their best win is at FSU and that's about it...FSU at home is probably their next best win.

I am not trying to take anything away from MD...just saying that the level of competition they are beating up on isn't all that great...Now, they are playing very good team basketball for what I have seen and they have an experienced backcourt and one of the best players in the conference(GV) but still, they need some more impressive wins, especially on the road.

They have Duke twice and some other tough conference games left, so they will get their chance to add to the FSU win.

I don't disagree entirely, although 10 ACC wins gets it done even if the next four are UVA, @UVA @NCState and Georgia Tech. However, I think if they play the way they did today, or the way they did leading into the Clemson game, they will be more like 12-4 or perhaps even 13-3 and they will be an incredibly tough out in the tournament. Like I said, Elite 8 caliber (obviously depending on seeding/draw).

I do, however, disagree about the gold uniforms ;) A beautiful sight.

I don't disagree entirely, although 10 ACC wins gets it done even if the next four are UVA, @UVA @NCState and Georgia Tech. However, I think if they play the way they did today, or the way they did leading into the Clemson game, they will be more like 12-4 or perhaps even 13-3 and they will be an incredibly tough out in the tournament. Like I said, Elite 8 caliber (obviously depending on seeding/draw).

I'll go one step farther....

I do, however, disagree about the gold uniforms ;) A beautiful sight.

10 wins definitely gets them in the tourney..Probably a 4-6 seed depending on what they do in the ACC tourney.

But I am thinking more along the lines of what they do in the tourney and where they do get seeded.

They have a very high RPI but their OOC SOS is poor and as we all know, they have no good OOC wins.

Now, I will say that I do expect this MD team to be a sweet 16 type team and once you get to that level, anything can happen.

I felt they would win 20+ games this year, win 10 in conference and be a sweet 16 level team....That's exactly what they are IMO and they may be able to do better than that.

Williams is the obvious key...Does he hit the freshman wall?

I think MD fans who bash GV and Gary Williams are insane and have been saying that for a while.

The other thing MD is doing well in conference play is shooting 3s...will that continue? That has been huge for them obviously.

Not sure I can aree with your first statement although it is not because I am not a GV fan. He is a fine college player but Bias, Dixon, Smith, Lucas, Elmore, Walt Williams, McMillen, King, Baxter just to name a group.

As for Gary, he is a excellent coach whose teams get better as the year goes on. The senior guards took control today like good senior guards do.

:)

The gold uniforms take us older fans back to the day of Lefty and all those great players. Lefty used to trot them out for big games. They may be ugly but there is some tradition there.

I see your point about signature wins but Maryland is closing in on that number that gets them in the tourney based on bottom of work. I think that lock number this year is 10. That means 4-4 in the last 8 conference games. 10-6 even in a down year for the conference should get them a 5 or a 6 seed.

The gold uniforms take us older fans back to the day of Lefty and all those great players. Lefty used to trot them out for big games. They may be ugly but there is some tradition there.

I see your point about signature wins but Maryland is closing in on that number that gets them in the tourney based on bottom of work. I think that lock number this year is 10. That means 4-4 in the last 8 conference games. 10-6 even in a down year for the conference should get them a 5 or a 6 seed.

I honestly didn't know that....That is pretty cool.

Yeah. I had that life-size Bias poster in the yellow uni. I love them for that reason alone.

Jordan Williams is going to wind up as the best big man at Maryland since Buck Williams. He's not as good yet as Lonnie Baxter was, but Jordan Williams is far more accomplished as a freshman than Baxter was as a freshman.

The Terps can be a very dangerous team come March if they play at this level. They have an elite player who can take over the game...they have experience and depth in the backcourt...they can put out a great free throw shooting team to close out games (having a big man like Gregory who can shoot 90 percent on free throws is a huge asset)...and they can score and defend in the low post. The wild card is shooting--when they can get 3-4 guys shooting well, they're pretty unstoppable.

Archived