NCAA seed

What seed will the Terps get in the NCAA tourney?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. What seed will the Terps get in the NCAA tourney?

This poll is closed to new votes

I'd agree with that.

There are more things that they'll look at than just numbers; there is a certain amount of "feel" that goes into it. Game-temporal-specific things (injuries, how well-matched teams were at the time of the game) are going to come into play, in addition to other things we might not think of. I've just thrown a few examples out there. As quantitative as the process can be, it's not 100%. Until the 14th it's all guesswork anyway.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd agree with that.

There are more things that they'll look at than just numbers; there is a certain amount of "feel" that goes into it. Game-temporal-specific things (injuries, how well-matched teams were at the time of the game) are going to come into play, in addition to other things we might not think of. I've just thrown a few examples out there. As quantitative as the process can be, it's not 100%. Until the 14th it's all guesswork anyway.

It also depends on what the committee is valuing.

I don't think MD has a shot at a 2 seed BUT if the committee is really valuing ending the year right and winning conference tourney's, then maybe MD does have a chance at a 2 seed.

I just don't see it but you never know.

Lunardi has MD as a 6 seed right now...IMO, that is correct but Lunardi has been wrong on seeding a lot so you never know..Either way, a 5 or 6 right now is where they likely are...I don't think they can be worse than a 6 seed though.
That confused me, as he had us as a 5 last week. Not sure what we did to lower our seed last week.

I'm hoping for an ACC Tourney win and a much higher seed. But if we make the final, I think we're a 4-seed, if we win one I think we get a 5-seed. If we do lose the first game, I could see us as a 6-seed.

I think we are a solid 5 seed right now and closer to a 4 than a 6. The committee has been pretty favorable to us in recent history. If we win one game in the tournament I think we are a 4 seed. No way will byu or Texas a&m be ranked above us. Remember the year Gonzaga was ranked like 5th in the polls and got a 6 seed? I see that happening to New Mexico this year. If we somehow win the acc tournament we will have only 7 losses and I think that this year that could get you a 2 seed. Remember a few years ago we were a bubble team and not even in the tournament going into the acc tournament. We won it and got all the way up to a 5 or 4 seed. I think the committee will look favorably on us considering we won a share of the acc regular season title.

That confused me, as he had us as a 5 last week. Not sure what we did to lower our seed last week.

I'm hoping for an ACC Tourney win and a much higher seed. But if we make the final, I think we're a 4-seed, if we win one I think we get a 5-seed. If we do lose the first game, I could see us as a 6-seed.

Yeah, that's odd. They've actually gone up a spot in rpi since then as well.

I would think that strength of schedule would play a pretty big part as that could easily affect the RPI numbers. I would think that without making it to the ACC finals the Terps will be a #5 seed, if they win the ACC tournament then I think they are a #4. If they lose before the final then I think we will be looking at a #6 seed. I think we land a #5 seed.

There is no way we are a 6 seed right now. We have a 5 seed locked up even if we lose Friday. Obviously, things change depending on what other teams around us on the S curve do in their tournaments but I stick by my projections made earlier in this thread from last week.

There is no way we are a 6 seed right now. We have a 5 seed locked up even if we lose Friday. Obviously, things change depending on what other teams around us on the S curve do in their tournaments but I stick by my projections made earlier in this thread from last week.

OOC schedule, OOC wins.

OOC schedule, OOC wins.

I think the more recent data of being co ACC champs and winning 7 in a row and 9 of our last 10 will mean have just as much juice, if not more with the committee. Like I said last week, there has only been one ACC team ever with a 13-3 record who finished below a 2 seed. Certainly, the ACC is down but it's still 2nd or 3rd in the power rankings. I think we'll concede a seed or two compared to where most ACC champs are seeded but not 3 or 4.

Besides, our RPI is 19 and SOS is 22. Our SOS is higher than a lot of the teams around us in the RPI. Just on that alone we are a 5 seed, even if we don't get bumped up for winning the ACC or being a hot team. ANother thing of note, I don't know how much the committee looks at the Pomeroy rankings or uses a similar formula but we are 8th in his rankings.

I think we are tight with Vandy, Tenneessee, Temple, Wisconsin, Mich St, Georgetown, Texas A&M and a lot will be determined this weekend. Still, I'm sticking by my guns that we are currently a 4 and we won't drop below a 5 no matter how things play out.

I think the more recent data of being co ACC champs and winning 7 in a row and 9 of our last 10 will mean have just as much juice, if not more with the committee. Like I said last week, there has only been one ACC team ever with a 13-3 record who finished below a 2 seed. Certainly, the ACC is down but it's still 2nd or 3rd in the power rankings. I think we'll concede a seed or two compared to where most ACC champs are seeded but not 3 or 4.

Besides, our RPI is 19 and SOS is 22. Our SOS is higher than a lot of the teams around us in the RPI. Just on that alone we are a 5 seed, even if we don't get bumped up for winning the ACC or being a hot team. ANother thing of note, I don't know how much the committee looks at the Pomeroy rankings or uses a similar formula but we are 8th in his rankings.

I think we are tight with Vandy, Tenneessee, Temple, Wisconsin, Mich St, Georgetown, Texas A&M and a lot will be determined this weekend. Still, I'm sticking by my guns that we are currently a 4 and we won't drop below a 5 no matter how things play out.

The committee looks at the entire body of work. the way the Terps have ended the season and their ACC play is excellent...No denying that. But the games in November and December count to and they did nothing at that point...Hell, they hurt themselves more than they helped themselves for sure.

Now, are they definitely a 6 seed right now? No, I wouldn't say that...But to dismiss it is irresponsible IMO.

I think they are a 5/6 seed...beat GT/UNC and they are a solid 5 for sure. I think they are going to lose to GT personally, which will have them on the 6 line I think....but they may be a 5.

To be honest, they may be better off being a 6th than a 5th anyway.

It really doesn't matter at the end of the day...its all about matchups.

The committee looks at the entire body of work.
The committee puts emphasis on different things different years. Last year it was body of work, they made it a point of not really caring when a team had a big OOC win or a signature win or a bad loss, just that they did. Some years they put more focus on finishing strongly or road wins or whatever.

I don't think you can really say with much certainty what the committee will value strongest in any given year, they don't come out and say it ahead of time. Last year you are definitely right that they gave a lot of attention to total body of work moreso than last 10 games or something like that. But that isn't always the case.

The committee puts emphasis on different things different years. Last year it was body of work, they made it a point of not really caring when a team had a big OOC win or a signature win or a bad loss, just that they did. Some years they put more focus on finishing strongly or road wins or whatever.

I don't think you can really say with much certainty what the committee will value strongest in any given year, they don't come out and say it ahead of time. Last year you are definitely right that they gave a lot of attention to total body of work moreso than last 10 games or something like that. But that isn't always the case.

I don't disagree with this and have made this point recently, maybe even in this thread.

Archived