A commenter ruffles Roch's feathers

ChaosLex

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The press can and should do thier jobs. They should be digging around finding information the Orioles are with holding. For example, if it is true that the front office has people happy with the status quo, it is job of the press to connect the dots, name names, and let the truth be known.

This is what Jeff is asking about. He wants to know if anyone is actually doing this.

Yes, but that's not I'm talking about. The commentator says that the press should hold management accountable and exert influence on management to turn things around. The commentator assumes that if an article is written blasting the organization, then it will light a fire under everyone's asses and everything will get better. That's just moronic.

The media absolutely has to ask significant questions because that will supply the information that the fanbase wants. But to suggest that the media needs to ask those questions to help turn the organization around, then that's outside the scope of influence of the media.

I'm not calling you out speficially. But there are people who find the time to work a day job and still put a ton of time into a passion project.

And I applaud them, but, really, how often have you read pieces by these extraordinary fans that ask these "difficult" and "controversial" questions?

The press can and should do thier jobs. They should be digging around finding information the Orioles are with holding. For example, if it is true that the front office has people happy with the status quo, it is job of the press to connect the dots, name names, and let the truth be known.

This is what Jeff is asking about. He wants to know if anyone is actually doing this.

For as much as I like reading his stuff, Roch is not press...he's public relations. At the end of the day, he's part of the sales process. I think it's a source of internal tension for him, though, because he obviously is a fan and (like all of us) has become extremely disenchanted with this team. But...he has to keep selling.

I think if people want to know the answers to these hard-hitting questions badly enough, they need to do what it takes to get a press pass, get off their ass, and ask Trembley and MacPhail what the deal is. It's not impossible. I see a whole bunch of guys in the press room after games. There are several posters on the Hangout that are successful bloggers, and their hard work was recognized last year when they were all invited to watch a game from the press box.

The whole point of a free press is to deliver pertinent information to the public. It's a service that we pay for by buying newspapers, watching MASN, and reading things online. Those last two are subsidized for us through advertising, but the purpose of the press remains as a mechanism to deliver desired information to the public.

The whole point of a free press is to deliver pertinent information to the public. It's a service that we pay for by buying newspapers, watching MASN, and reading things online. Those last two are subsidized for us through advertising, but the purpose of the press remains as a mechanism to deliver desired information to the public.

That's true, in theory. But if a guy starts agitating Orioles players, coaches, and officials, he will be replaced by someone who doesn't.

For as much as I like reading his stuff, Roch is not press...he's public relations. At the end of the day, he's part of the sales process. I think it's a source of internal tension for him, though, because he obviously is a fan and (like all of us) has become extremely disenchanted with this team. But...he has to keep selling.

Nail meet head. Very well put.

That's true, in theory. But if a guy starts agitating Orioles players, coaches, and officials, he will be replaced by someone who doesn't.

Yes, or a different reporter will ask those questions and his/her company will start getting more traffic. All in all, it's probably a moot point. Since the team is so bad, there isn't enough pressure (and $$$) from the public to push the media to ask those questions.

I read a few of them, but I don't see very pointed questions that often. If you do, shoot some links, I'd like to see them (not being sarcastic, I'd really like to see them).

I don't read any of them. And if I implied that our fellow hangouters do ask these pointed questions in their blogs, then I apologize. I don't know for sure. My point was that they have that opportunity, just like anyone else. The difference is that they've either made the time to do it, or it's their full-time job, or they've sacrificed some other aspect of their life to put in the time and effort.

I don't read any of them. And if I implied that our fellow hangouters do ask these pointed questions in their blogs, then I apologize. I don't know for sure. My point was that they have that opportunity, just like anyone else. The difference is that they've either made the time to do it, or it's their full-time job, or they've sacrificed some other aspect of their life to put in the time and effort.

But, yeah, that's great and all. And I dig it. I just wish people would ask these questions on a very, very regular basis. I don't care if they're 4-18 or 18-4, if a manager makes an idiotic decision, I'd like to know why.

Archived