2nd and 3rd, nobody out; Jones, Markakis and Wieters all K

Frobby

This is a common fallacy.

The act of Wieters or Markakis or Jones striking out against one of the better strikeout pitchers in baseball isn't an "inexcusable act". Even the Orioles not plating a run in that situation isn't "inexcusable". The thing that is inexcusable, is how often we fail in that situation. Its not the failure any one time that kills us or that is awful, but its the collective failures that add up over time.

Similar to the argument about Wieters' playing time. Its not a poor move to play him in any given game, but it is a poor move to play him in (nearly) every single game without rest.

The inexcusable part isn't that we didn't score last night. Crap can happen in those situations. The inexcusable part is how often we end up not scoring or only scoring one in those situations. If we were scoring in those situations like we should be, then failing once would be excusable. Its more of a global problem than an isolate failure, and unfortunately, that's a much more serious problem.

That is BS. You change your hitting approach when you are in different situations. Rewatch all of those ABs, none of those guys cut their swings down to make contact. It is all about changing your hitting approach depending on the situation. Hell, we didn't even need a fly ball. A ground ball up the middle scores a run and if it is to the right side, moves the other one over.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My only point is that sometimes you have to tip your cap to the other team.

Oh AJ was brilliant last night, I have zippy qualms admitting that. When he's really dealing, he's a lot of fun to watch. But again, like Hank and AO are saying, the top of your lineup simply has to put a ball in play there.

Burnett buckled down and got it done and I commend him for it. But for our side, that was the ballgame and there's no excuse for not even making contact.

That is BS. You change your hitting approach when you are in different situations. Rewatch all of those ABs, none of those guys cut their swings down to make contact. It is all about changing your hitting approach depending on the situation. Hell, we didn't even need a fly ball. A ground ball up the middle scores a run and if it is to the right side, moves the other one over.
Well you completely missed the point of my post. I'm not really talking about this specific instance, but our recurring problems in these situations. That's the real problem.

Well you completely missed the point of my post.

No I didn't. I highlighted the part I commented on.

Edit: I will say that if you are calling that sitauation a common fallacy, I agree. But if you are calling my post a common fallacy, I have an issue with that.

I don't disagree with you...My only point is that sometimes you have to tip your cap to the other team.

CC and AJ are great pitchers, but they don't have ERAs below 2 every year. Neither does Pettitte, or King Felix, or Jon Lester. Other teams figure out a way to scratch out some runs against the best pitchers. Why can't the O's?

In part, we just don't have enough good hitters, but even our best hitters with good numbers overall seem to come up short in clutch situations against the best pitchers. I think the problem is that our hitters aren't taught to change their approach to match the game situation. That's a player development problem and a coaching problem more than a talent problem.

No matter how much young talent the O's can amass, they aren't going to win until the hitters figure out how to hold their own against good pitchers who are making good pitches. It would also help if we had some pitchers who were capable of shutting down an opponent's offense on a consistent basis.

CC and AJ are great pitchers, but they don't have ERAs below 2 every year. Neither does Pettitte, or King Felix, or Jon Lester. Other teams figure out a way to scratch out some runs against the best pitchers. Why can't the O's?

In part, we just don't have enough good hitters, but even our best hitters with good numbers overall seem to come up short in clutch situations against the best pitchers. I think the problem is that our hitters aren't taught to change their approach to match the game situation. That's a player development problem and a coaching problem more than a talent problem.

No matter how much young talent the O's can amass, they aren't going to win until the hitters figure out how to hold their own against good pitchers who are making good pitches. It would also help if we had some pitchers who were capable of shutting down an opponent's offense on a consistent basis.

Sort of...

But didn't they tell Jones to play deeper in centerfield and he said, "Uh yeah, don't think I'll be doing that."

Who's to say they didn't tell him to cut down on his swing?

BTW, it occurs to me so many times that many of the "baseball people" on this board don't ever seem to understand that their is another team that we play against...and those teams have good players too...players that are paid to do the same thing our guys are paid to do.

I know this may come as a shock to many of you but guess what...sometimes the other player(s) are better than ours at that moment and time. It happens.

Last night, in that inning, Burnett got nasty and was better than our players.

In the same situation for us, the Yanks hitters were better than Matusz.

Those 2 situations were the game...The Yanks were better.

This is SG's best post ever, and that's saying something!

Burnett turned it up a notch and was better than us. Period.

And to be fair, Matusz NEARLY did the same thing to them, except he walked ARod. However, since we all like to Monday morning QB, how many times in the past have we had a situation like that and our pitcher grooves one to ARod or another great hitter, and we all say, "Man, I would have rather walked in a run than given up a granny!" We say things like that all the time. Matusz managed that situation and only gave up the one run. Not too shabby for a guy who has yet to reach 15 major league starts.

Every player does that...I didn't see any of the other pitches except the Nick pitch...That was a hard biting curve that looked like a fastball at first..Nick, trying to protect the zone, swung at a bad pitch...But it was a nasty pitch.

Ben said it was a knuckle-curve. Oldfan must think that the players intentionally swing at balls "in the dirt." The fact is the pitch looks like its coming right down the middle of the plate, but then "rolls off the table" and the batter swings over it. Its why Burnett is a good pitcher. Its why failing 7 out of 10 times to the plates makes you a hall of famer. But I guess its easier for Oldfan and others to just be critical of Kakes and the Birds instead of giving a VERY good pitcher his credit.

Ben said it was a knuckle-curve. Oldfan must think that the players intentionally swing at balls "in the dirt." The fact is the pitch looks like its coming right down the middle of the plate, but then "rolls off the table" and the batter swings over it. Its why Burnett is a good pitcher. Its why failing 7 out of 10 times to the plates makes you a hall of famer. But I guess its easier for Oldfan and others to just be critical of Kakes and the Birds instead of giving a VERY good pitcher his credit.

It's the pitch that gave Daniel Cabrera his 15 minutes of fame.

This is SG's best post ever, and that's saying something!

Burnett turned it up a notch and was better than us. Period.

And to be fair, Matusz NEARLY did the same thing to them, except he walked ARod. However, since we all like to Monday morning QB, how many times in the past have we had a situation like that and our pitcher grooves one to ARod or another great hitter, and we all say, "Man, I would have rather walked in a run than given up a granny!" We say things like that all the time. Matusz managed that situation and only gave up the one run. Not too shabby for a guy who has yet to reach 15 major league starts.

So when we had bases loaded and no outs on Sunday and bases loaded one out and got one run,the pitcher turned it up. We are not hitting well with men in scoring position. We have left numerous guys on and don't situational hit. Trembley on the postgame basically said we don't advance runners and get good at bats with men on.

So when we had bases loaded and no outs on Sunday and bases loaded one out and got one run,the pitcher turned it up. We are not hitting well with men in scoring position. We have left numerous guys on and don't situational hit. Trembley on the postgame basically said we don't advance runners and get good at bats with men on.

If Trembley acknowledges it, then why don't we see any improvement? If he knows it's happening, fix it!!!!

Man... I might need to enter AA soon if I keep watching the Orioles games...

Luke Scott struck out two more times last night (both on check swings) and he’s now fanned 10 times in his last 18 at-bats. He’s also just 1-for-20 with runners in scoring position.

Adam Jones walked twice on Opening Day last year. He’s walked three times through the first 27 games this year.

The Orioles are hitting .209 with runners in scoring position.

Is every pitcher Cy Young or do we have hitting problems?

Archived