2nd and 3rd, nobody out; Jones, Markakis and Wieters all K

Frobby

What a killer that was. And going into this season, you'd have said that those three players were the absolute core of our future in terms of position players. Not one guy even got a ball in play. How pathetic.

And yes, I'm particularly galled by Markakis striking out there. We all know Jones is struggling, and he strikes out a lot anyway, so I can chalk up his K to his general vulnerability right now. In Wieters' case, there were 2 outs already, so a strikeout vs. any other kind of out doesn't really matter. But for Markakis, that strikeout was the only K he has had in his last 31 trips to the plate, and he's been very hot. What a time to have your first strikeout in 7 games.

As soon as that inning ended I knew we'd lose.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What a killer that was. And going into this season, you'd have said that those three players were the absolute core of our future in terms of position players. Not one guy even got a ball in play. How pathetic.

And yes, I'm particularly galled by Markakis striking out there. We all know Jones is struggling, and he strikes out a lot anyway, so I can chalk up his K to his general vulnerability right now. In Wieters' case, there were 2 outs already, so a strikeout vs. any other kind of out doesn't really matter. But for Markakis, that strikeout was the only K he has had in his last 31 trips to the plate, and he's been very hot. What a time to have your first strikeout in 7 games.

Markakis' K galled me as much as Gut's gopher to Winn the night before.I think Burnett gave Nick one pitch in the zone with that AB, and that one he took. The rest were clearly balls. He could have had a walk, saved an out and maybe given Miggi a chance to hit. The last two pitches were in the dirt. Jones swings at those pitches but Nick should know better. :angryfire:

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when your team has guys on 2nd and 3rd with nobody out and your only thought is, "What new and creative way can they manage to not score here?"

Obviously, this type of futility isn't sustainable. Adam Jones isn't this bad (I don't think.) But getting to the point where it evens out is flat out painful. It's painful and I'm just about to the point that I can't handle watching it anymore.

Thankfully today, I'll only have to listen to it. :laughlol:

The top of the order coming up and no one out I certainly liked our chances for a big inning. Even picking up just those 2 runners would have been nice, worst case I thought we would just get one of them home, but 3k's man that just stunk. And to echo Paul's statements from the recap I definitely agree that the catcher Cervelli is annoying. You're playing the O's in early May tone it down a notch.

It was a game altering inning for us. With Matusz pitching, that could have won the game for us if they come through there.

I remember I used to call the Roberts - Jones - Markakis trio "instant offense" last year. With the way Jones was hitting early last year and the double Markakis and Roberts were hitting.

I really believe they could get back to that if Roberts can come back healthy. We miss him a ton.

Glad you posted this but I was wondering how was it that the usually patient Markakis after observing Jones getting himself out by swinging at pitches that weren't even strikes (curves or sliders breaking into the dirt) allowed himself to swing at the exact same pitches? How smart was that? It certainly wasn't clutch either. Ben McDonald kept saying, they don't even need a hit here, just a deep enough fly ball or a grounder to the middle of the infield. Yet our 1 and 2 hitters didn't do it because they were hacking at pitches that weren't hittable or even strikes!

Again, this is why Tejada should have been hitting third instead of Wieters. Especially with his numbers against Burnett.I think we get two runs there as Tejada led off the very next inning with a double on an extremely tough pitch.

Totally agree here.

Our struggles aside, I just chalk it up to how filthy Burnett's stuff is. Maybe thats how I cope with things but I dunno...his breaking pitch was nasty. McDonald gave good insight on it.

Totally agree here.

Our struggles aside, I just chalk it up to how filthy Burnett's stuff is. Maybe thats how I cope with things but I dunno...his breaking pitch was nasty. McDonald gave good insight on it.

Nasty or not, one of these three needs to step up and make a play. Even if its a sac fly, one of them needs to be equally nasty.

Glad you posted this but I was wondering how was it that the usually patient Markakis after observing Jones getting himself out by swinging at pitches that weren't even strikes (curves or sliders breaking into the dirt) allowed himself to swing at the exact same pitches? How smart was that? It certainly wasn't clutch either. Ben McDonald kept saying, they don't even need a hit here, just a deep enough fly ball or a grounder to the middle of the infield. Yet our 1 and 2 hitters didn't do it because they were hacking at pitches that weren't hittable or even strikes!

Again, this is why Tejada should have been hitting third instead of Wieters. Especially with his numbers against Burnett.I think we get two runs there as Tejada led off the very next inning with a double on an extremely tough pitch.

You are just pathetic.

It was the first time Nick struck out in his last 31 at bats. It happens. Why don't you have the same ire for your wonder boy Jones? All he had to do was make contact and he's swinging for the fences despite having an average under .230. Not to mention his misplay of a line drive cost us a run. Lay off Nick and worry about Adam because, quite frankly, he is god awful right now. Maybe you should change your signature to whine about Adam rather than Nick. At least Nick has brought something to the table this year.

After this sequence went down, coupled with stranding Tejada the following inning, I just knew the game was over. You cannot squander opportunities like that against a team like the MFY and expect to win.

Burnett definitely had it going, but someone has to come through there.

As pointed out and ignored by you... before last night, Tejada was 5 for 18 against Burnett with a 628 OPS. His numbers were not very good going against Burnett.

You are just pathetic.

It was the first time Nick struck out in his last 31 at bats. It happens. Why don't you have the same ire for your wonder boy Jones? All he had to do was make contact and he's swinging for the fences despite having an average under .230. Not to mention his misplay of a line drive cost us a run. Lay off Nick and worry about Adam because, quite frankly, he is god awful right now. Maybe you should change your signature to whine about Adam rather than Nick. At least Nick has brought something to the table this year.

I don't see anything in Old#5Fan's post that blamed Markakis more than Jones. Let's not get into bickering in this thread, enough of that already. There's tons of blame to go around for that inning.

As pointed out and ignored by you... before last night, Tejada was 5 for 18 against Burnett with a 628 OPS. His numbers were not very good going against Burnett.

Do you expect him to pay attention to numbers? the man has no idea what they even mean!

Don't worry, he will ignore your post too...Its part of his patheitc schtick.

Archived