O. Cabrera Willing to Move to Third for Tejada

erb8472

No...you don't trade Tejada for any young hitters such as Kotchman, Aybar, etc...why? Because who the hell knows how they'd turn out. What if Tejada was traded to us 4 years or so ago for a package of Rodrigo Lopez, Larry Bigbie, and Luis Matos...well that's basically what you're condoning (Santana, however, clearly better than Lopez, but you get the idea).

Seriuosly though, Tejada is our ONLY viable middle of the lineup hitter. You don't trade him unless you get another such player in return. You don't trade away your team's RBI leader for a starting pitcher and a prospect, you just don't. It's already bad enough that Jeff Conine bats CLEAN UP most nights, imagine not even having Tejada in the lineup. We'd struggle to score 2 runs a game. It's simply not feasable.

Yes, all else being equal, i'd LOVE Santana, he is a great pitcher. But not for Tejada. And not in a package with Kotchman, Shields, Wood, Aybar or whoever the hell else you wnat to throw in there. Not for anyone not named Guererro, and we ain't getting him.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about this deal?

Tejada and Conine for Wood, Kotchman, McPherson, and Mathis

That's great...but there's probably a reason those people haven't been talked about (according to sources): Angels don't want to give up Wood & Mathis...McPhearson I'm sure they would.

No...you don't trade Tejada for any young hitters such as Kotchman, Aybar, etc...why? Because who the hell knows how they'd turn out. What if Tejada was traded to us 4 years or so ago for a package of Rodrigo Lopez, Larry Bigbie, and Luis Matos...well that's basically what you're condoning (Santana, however, clearly better than Lopez, but you get the idea).Seriuosly though, Tejada is our ONLY viable middle of the lineup hitter. You don't trade him unless you get another such player in return. You don't trade away your team's RBI leader for a starting pitcher and a prospect, you just don't. It's already bad enough that Jeff Conine bats CLEAN UP most nights, imagine not even having Tejada in the lineup. We'd struggle to score 2 runs a game. It's simply not feasable.

Yes, all else being equal, i'd LOVE Santana, he is a great pitcher. But not for Tejada. And not in a package with Kotchman, Shields, Wood, Aybar or whoever the hell else you wnat to throw in there. Not for anyone not named Guererro, and we ain't getting him.

I went ahead and Bolded the parts that show why you have a read pip.

Conine doesn't bat cleanup, and Matos/Lopez/and Bigbie is no where near that package.

3-4 years ago Matos and Bigbie were the equivalent of Wood and Kotchman. Good hitting prospects.

As for Conine...he does bat clean up on nights when Fahey is out of the lineup. IF fahey is in the lineup, Conine drops to fifth, recently.

Not so much...Neither were ranked as high as Wood or Kotchman (both have made the top 5)

If we did trade tejada, what about signing Soriano for SS.

Right now, Santana is the premier young pitcher in baseball not named Liriano.

He and Bedard would make an awesome 1-2 punch.

Keep Benson, and stick one of Loewen/Penn in the bullpen until the deadline next year, who knows we might be able to get more for him than we can now.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Soriano would be the worst defensive SS in the history of baseball.

3-4 years ago Matos and Bigbie were the equivalent of Wood and Kotchman. Good hitting prospects.

As for Conine...he does bat clean up on nights when Fahey is out of the lineup. IF fahey is in the lineup, Conine drops to fifth, recently.

This bolded part is woefully inaccurate.

They absolutely were not regarded by anyone but perhaps yourself as such. Matos was a guy who could never stay healthy, who surprised us for half a season by hitting .300, and Bigbie was looking like he might be a solid LF who wouldnt kill you at best. At no time did they hold value approaching Wood and Kotchman, who are among the top prospects at their respective positions in all of baseball.

4 years ago our best prospect was Bedard, who was having his should opperated on. We didnt have a player in our system as highly rated as either of those two.

It would be more like being offered Markakis and another position prospect as highly regarded, only we dont have another one in our system, which is exactly why we'd be considering a deal like this.

Wood and Kendrick are widely considered two of the top 5-10 prospects in baseball. Kotchman was recently considered one of the top 25 or so prospects in baseball. I don't think Matos or Bigbie were ever considered even top 100 prospects. And 4 years ago Lopez was already 3 years older than Santana is now, and the Orioles picked him up off the scrap heap from the Mexican league. Any comparison between Wood, Kendrick, Kotchman, and Santana and those Orioles players is absurd.

How about this deal?

Tejada, Conine, and Fiorentino for Wood, Kendrick, and Mathis

That package isn't as good as one containing Santana. I'd prefer Santana to either Wood or Kendrick, as he's already a successfully proven ML starter (as much as one can be at 23) and is young and cheap.

I think any Angels deal for Tejada would have to center around Santana.
Agreed, and I would say a SS prospect has to be in there as well. The third player is where the debate really comes in, IMO.

BTW, I hear a lot of talk about how Kendrick can't play SS. What's the deal with that? Where does that perception come from?

Archived