BA Mock Draft

On the fielding vid I notice that all his throws are with the quick crow hop. I wonder if he does that routinely. A kid with a 70 or 80 arm should be able to use the quicker release much of the time, especially at that depth.

Or maybe this was just an anomaly.

He looks smooth, though.

EDIT: And BTW that's some serious projection on his power. How often do you get a chance to project from 40 to 70? (Not a rhetorical question).

I think he still has room to fill out through the upper body.

I do think that somebody will have to go overslot if he drops out of the top seven or eight, which he probably will. That Stanford full ride is powerful leverage.

Big gap between ability to make contact now and what he would need to play as a 70. Raw power could probably rank as a 70 or for some an 80 right now. He can launch the ball in BP.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim Callis of BA has just updated his mock draft :

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/draft/mock-draft/2010/2610063.html

Here are his top 3 :

1. NATIONALS. The only remaining speculation surrounding Harper is how much money he ultimately signs for. I still think he signs for somewhere between the largest guarantee ever given to a position player (Mark Teixeira's $9.5 million) and the all-time record (Stephen Strasburg's $15.1 million).

PROJECTED PICK: BRYCE HARPER.

2. PIRATES. Pomeranz seemed to be sliding out of Pittsburgh's plans before reversing course at the SEC tournament. Though the Pirates wanted a college pitcher and stuck to slot with the No. 4 pick a year ago, the belief is that they'll take the best player available at No. 2 and pay to sign him. That debate would be between Taillon and Machado.

PROJECTED PICK: MANNY MACHADO.

3. ORIOLES. Baltimore is in an easy position: just wait and see which player among Harper, Taillon and Machado gets to their choice. The Orioles would probably take Taillon over Machado if both were available.

PROJECTED PICK: JAMESON TAILLON.

Archived