Windsor outpitched Loewen

NewMarketSean

We try and do it and it looks like we're a high school team asking the back up second baseman to make a spot start. The walks are to be expected in HS ball -- but not at the MLB level -- especially when Loewen has some experience to fall back on.

I agree that the team seems to have issues with pitchers adjusting to ML level, but I do think we need to give Loewen at least another handful of starts before expressing frustration, if necessary.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Windsor is also 2 years older and worked his way through the A's system, Loewen is 22 with limited experience above AA. I am not sure Windsor even outpitched him, he had better control but he was more hittable.

I don't have the stats in front of my but I wonder if that is the case. This is what, Loewen's 4th year in pro ball? How long was Windsor in pro ball?

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. Loewen could have been worse I guess. But he also could have been a lot better.

It's just that if we're looking at potential, I'd go with the other guy from what I saw tonight.

Welcome to the world of NMS. The best part is that he offers this sort of stuff in the vein of "analysis".

I call 'em as I see 'em. I never pretend to be some stat wizard. I can just offer up what I think.

Is that wrong?

Oh and nice to hear from you. I was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to hear from you again after we placed our wager.

I look at it this way. The walks are a problem, but it is not like he has been up here for 2 years and is still having problems with it. Althought it is never good to give up a walk an inning like he did tonight, there were some very encouraging things that occurred tonight...

I thought the biggest thing was his ability to get out of the 4th without self distructing. There are not too many 22 year olds that could have gotten out of that inning with only 2 runs. He minimized the damage after committing the balk and almost having Nick Swisher charge the mound on him. Also, his ability to come out and get through the 5th without damage after everything that went on in the 4th showed how mentally tough Adam is. After his first few starts in the majors, I think there is no question that we have one of the most mentally tough 22 year olds in the bigs.

True, but they only had one hit off of him, so again possibly he was giving the hitters too much credit or just not relaxed enough to be consistent.

I agree. The one hit was a positive. But Cabrera had similar starts and look at where he is right now...

I'm just saying, it's not like this was his first MLB start... this is what... his 8th 9th appearance in a MLB game? If any nerves still exist they should be gone after the first inning.

I don't have the stats in front of my but I wonder if that is the case. This is what, Loewen's 4th year in pro ball? How long was Windsor in pro ball?

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. Loewen could have been worse I guess. But he also could have been a lot better.

It's just that if we're looking at potential, I'd go with the other guy from what I saw tonight.

Windsor had 12 starts in AAA this year and pitched in AA early this season. I can't find the rest of his minor league stats anywhere but yesterday was his birthday so maybe he had luck on his side :D

From what I just read on a couple of sites he is a potential middle rotation starter.

True, but they only had one hit off of him, so again possibly he was giving the hitters too much credit or just not relaxed enough to be consistent.

That's the point I was trying to make. He is trying to impress after not doing well his last time up.

I agree. The one hit was a positive. But Cabrera had similar starts and look at where he is right now...

I'm just saying, it's not like this was his first MLB start... this is what... his 8th 9th appearance in a MLB game? If any nerves still exist they should be gone after the first inning.

I disagree. If it was 8 starts in a row and was told he was going to stay up here for the rest of the year than yes his nerves should be cooled. Loewen has been up and down and every time he walks a batter he is one step closer to going back to AAA. Let this kid calm down. Tell him he is going to be a O's for the rest of the season and to pound that strike zone.

STOP, please, you're embarrassing yourself. You're actually asking if someone 24 years old has less pitching experience than someone 22 years old. The A's starter tonight pitched in the college world series when Loewen was learning to drive.

Just out of curiosity, define potential. You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means. (great movie)

8-20. Who's embarrassed?

I'm talking about pro ball.

Just out of curiosity, define potential. You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means. (great movie)

It's not just him that uses that word; it's used way too much on this board. Potential is nothing without the results. Several of our players over the past 8 years have had potential, and if even half of them had lived up to said potential, I'm confident at least some of those seasons wouldn't have been losing ones. Frankly, I think it's about time we saw some of that potential pay off in a reasonably significant way.

I'm not sure what that means. Other than the 9 days I was in Cancun, I have been posting at my normal pace (which is when I have something I think may be useful to express).

This is the first I've heard from you since we made our bet.

Anyway, hope you had a nice time in Cancun. How was Senor Frogs?

Archived