On the maxpreps website they list Machado as the 9th best high school prospect.

Is that website that far off when it comes to baseball talent?

I am trying to find out why Machado is listed so high on some of the mock drafts, but only ranked 9th and ranked behind another shortstop on a nationally known publication.

Perhaps maxpreps is only good for football?

I am trying to find out why Machado is listed so high on some of the mock drafts, but only ranked 9th and ranked behind another shortstop on a nationally known publication.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Maxpreps. That list looks a little goofy to me, but there's plenty of variance out there.

FWIW, I've got Machado as the third best prep prospect. To me he comes in behind Taillon and Whitson, just a hair above Castellanos and Cole, and a fair amount higher than Cowart, Sale, Allie and Covey.

I'm sure you can find a hundred different top 10 prep lists, though.

Without looking at the list, I would guess that it is outdated. Preseason, yes, he was probably about the 9th best prep on some lists, anywhere from maybe 5th-10th best on most lists from what I saw. BUT, with these high ceiling HS kids, a lot of them all have the ability to become the #1 HS daft prospect, but them moving up that high or falling off of the prospect map depends on what he looks like during the season. If he had trouble with good offspeed pitches, has he fixed it? Has some of his power potential begun to show? He apparently had a very good Spring season that jolted him up into the top 5 overall draft prospects.

Archived