Armando Galarraga perfect through 8

PrivateO

Don't get me wrong... Joyce blew it.

But at that point, he really can't overturn the call based on current rules, right? What do you want him to do?

He blew it, but he showed class. You want to guess what Ken Kaiser would have done in that situation?

I hear ya... or Joe West?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure if someone else brought this up, but you have to give a lot of credit to Galarraga for not going crazy on Joyce. He handled that very well - assuming he wasn't completely shell shocked.

If I were him, I would have went ape****, and probably have been thrown out of the game.

If I were him, I would have went ape****, and probably have been thrown out of the game.

The way that Joyce let Cabrera go nuts on him during the next at bat? I'm guessing Galarraga would have had to have actually punched him to get tossed.

I'll say this. The two people who were most hurt by the blown call showed alot of class. Galarragga didn't show up the ump, he just smiled and went about his business. Joyce let the Tigers vent and didn't act smug about it. It's unfortunate, but anyone saying Joyce should be fired should take a step back and realize that everyone makes bad decisions. I'm sure he regrets it and feels awful.

Galarraga just said in an interview shown on MLB network that Jim Joyce took him aside and personally apologized. From what Galarraga said, Joyce was pretty broken up and somewhat misty eyed and they even hugged!

Galarraga is really a stand up guy. He's not bitter at all. Also sounds like Joyce was sorry it happened.

Galarraga just said in an interview shown on MLB network that Jim Joyce took him aside and personally apologized. From what Galarraga said, Joyce was pretty broken up and somewhat misty eyed and they even hugged!

Galarraga is really a stand up guy. He's not bitter at all. Also sounds like Joyce was sorry it happened.

I'm not surprised, both guys seemed very classy during the whole episode.

that call was so bad, I'd love to see MLB step in tomorrow morning and reverse the call and give him the perfect game

You just can't do that. At least not officially. Opens up way too many cans of worms. I'm all for recognizing it as a perfect game other than officially changing the scoring of the game. Send the glove, the ball, uniform, etc to Cooperstown.

Absolutely tragic. An hour later and I'm still reeling and I couldn't care less about either team.

Honestly, and this is unfortunate, but I think true - Jim Joyce should probably watch his back - I could easily see some crazy person threatening his safety.

Umpires blow calls. They're human. I feel absolutely terrible for Jim Joyce. He made a horrible, horrible call and he should be humiliated and embarrassed, but it did not impact who won the game.

That being said, I am LIVID that MLB is full of such Luddites that there is no way to fix this. Video cameras have been around for decades. Every other major sport uses them much more extensively. Time to join the 21st century. Get some instant replay. It doesn't have to slow the game down. If the TV cameras can figure it out in seconds, so can some guy who's assigned to sit there and watch it and say into an umpire earpiece, "Dude, reverse that."

Archived