Armando Galarraga perfect through 8

PrivateO

Jim Joyce after the game, "I don't know what to do. I cost the kid a perfect game. Biggest call of my career and I kicked the **** out of it."

Ugh, absolutely sickening. The last person I'd want to be in the world right now is Jim Joyce.

How he makes it to the 1:05 series finale between Det/Cle Tomorrow after not getting any sleep tonight is going to be beyond me.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Umpires blow calls. They're human. I feel absolutely terrible for Jim Joyce. He made a horrible, horrible call and he should be humiliated and embarrassed, but it did not impact who won the game.

That being said, I am LIVID that MLB is full of such Luddites that there is no way to fix this. Video cameras have been around for decades. Every other major sport uses them much more extensively. Time to join the 21st century. Get some instant replay. It doesn't have to slow the game down. If the TV cameras can figure it out in seconds, so can some guy who's assigned to sit there and watch it and say into an umpire earpiece, "Dude, reverse that."

This.

The NBA was able to go back and take away a technical foul that was issued to Perkins of the Celtics a day following the game. Why can't MLB go back and change this? Especially considering the 28th batter was retired. You're not taking away a hit from the next batter, you're not taking away a hit from the 27th batter (because he was out, and he knows it), and you're not at all affecting the outcome of the game. MLB should really do the right thing here.

This.

The NBA was able to go back and take away a technical foul that was issued to Perkins of the Celtics a day following the game. Why can't MLB go back and change this? Especially considering the 28th batter was retired. You're not taking away a hit from the next batter, you're not taking away a hit from the 27th batter (because he was out, and he knows it), and you're not at all affecting the outcome of the game. MLB should really do the right thing here.

I agree. Since it was the last play of the game and the final outcome is not in doubt, I think they should make an exception and overrule the call. I don't care if it's not in the rule book. Make a darn exception. I can't imagine how pissed off Tigers fans are right now. I am absolutely livid as a baseball fan. This makes the Jeffrey Maier blown call look like nothing.

Ugh, absolutely sickening. The last person I'd want to be in the world right now is Jim Joyce.

How he makes it to the 1:05 series finale between Det/Cle Tomorrow after not getting any sleep tonight is going to be beyond me.

And the crazy thing is that, if they maintain the traditional rotation, he'll be working the plate.

If I'm MLB I pull him from the game. I don't know what you call it. Not a suspension or anything punitive, but I just can't see how he can work the plate tomorrow after all this.

And the crazy thing is that, if they maintain the traditional rotation, he'll be working the plate.

If I'm MLB I pull him from the game. I don't know what you call it. Not a suspension or anything punitive, but I just can't see how he can work the plate tomorrow after all this.

If I were Jim Joyce, the Tigers would have the largest strike zone in recorded history tomorrow.

Change the scoring to an error for some BS reason so he gets a no-hitter or just overturn the call ex post facto. I don't care about it "violating the integrity" of the game. Baseball's integrity was destroyed years ago by PEDs, so there's nothing left to violate.

Change the scoring to an error for some BS reason so he gets a no-hitter or just overturn the call ex post facto. I don't care about it "violating the integrity" of the game. Baseball's integrity was destroyed years ago by PEDs, so there's nothing left to violate.

Yeah instead of E-1 or E-3, make it E-U for umpire.

No Tigers should pick up the error at the expense of the umpire. Just fix the call.

MLB should reverse the call. They should reverse it for Armando Galarraga, the Detroit Tigers, their fans, and Jim Joyce. Armando Galarraga deserves to have his name amongst the pitchers that pitched a perfect game. Jim Joyce and his family don’t deserve to live in fear. Joyce blew the call but if MLB was up with the times there would have been another umpire in the booth and Joyce wouldn’t be facing hatred from every baseball fan in the United States. If MLB doesn’t reverse this call, Joyce’s life may be absolutely ruined.

I put a whole lot of blame on MLB for not having another umpire and not using more replay/technology. Bud Selig needs to reverse this call tomorrow and do the right thing for all parties involved.

MLB should reverse the call. They should reverse it for Armando Galarraga' date=' the Detroit Tigers, their fans, and Jim Joyce. Armando Galarraga deserves to have his name amongst the pitchers that pitched a perfect game. Jim Joyce and his family don’t deserve to live in fear. Joyce blew the call but if MLB was up with the times there would have been another umpire in the booth and Joyce wouldn’t be facing hatred from every baseball fan in the United States. If MLB doesn’t reverse this call, Joyce’s life may be absolutely ruined.

I put a whole lot of blame on MLB for not having another umpire and not using more replay/technology. Bud Selig needs to reverse this call tomorrow and do the right thing for all parties involved.[/quote']I cannot agree more. Everyone INCLUDING THE RUNNER instantly reacted "OH NO!" to the call. This is a no brainer.

Wow, what a mess. If Joyce had blown that call in the 2nd inning, it would be bad, but this... this is just incomprehensibly bad. With two outs in the 9th of a perfect game, you'd think every umpire would be at the top of their game; heck, I'd be thinking "alright, Donald's REALLY going to have to earn a hit here; any close call goes to the kid throwing the PERFECT GAME." If the opposite had happened, and he'd called Donald out when he was obviously safe, that would at least be understandable and slightly more forgivable, IMO.

The Tigers can protest the call, right? I've never been clear on the rules there, though. It's not very often that the protest is upheld - I remember George Brett's pine tar HR was reversed immediately after the HR... then reversed again days later after the Royals protested. I don't see why MLB can't just reverse this call - it's cut-and-dried, since the game would've ended right there...

EDIT: Oops, now I see baseball rule 4.19: "No protest shall ever be permitted on judgment decisions by the umpire." Hmmm, I still think the Tigers could work around that somehow! There's errant judgment then there's what Joyce showed: Inexcusably poor judgment!

This.

I understand the sentiment of it but you can't craft a solution that only applies to this situation. What do you do if the exact same play happens to the 1st batter and not the 27th?

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a note or asterisk in the record books that in some way acknowledges the game but the official scoring will never and should never be reversed. It's not that it isn't the right thing to do it's just that it opens up a big can of worms. If you change this decision every blown call that's on tape and effects an official scoring from the past and in the future can and in some cases will be challenged to be changed.

Archived