Cole's Pitching Tonight

In case anyone's interested, it's on ESPN 2 and you can also watch on ESPN 360 or ESPN3.com. I can't watch since I have a midterm tomorrow, but I DVRed the game and I'm looking forward to watching it tomorrow or Wednesday. A potential future Oriole! :D

I've heard some compare his stuff and control issues to Verlander.

Well, he still has one more year so hopefully he can work on his control and command a bit. But if he turns out like Verlander, which ever team gets him next year will be VERY happy.

Tremendous raw stuff, mid to upper 90 FB with explosive life, especially up in the zone. Flashes a plus changeup and slider which will most likely develop into consistent plus offerings. Just wish he was a bit more polished......Still a tremendous prospect. Still wish we were able to see Jungmann right now to compare to Cole.

** Cole pitches up in the zone a lot, I wonder how that will go over in the majors, is his FB good enough to throw by hitters? Probably, but IMO if he doesn't learn to pitch down in the zone, he won't be able to make the most of his potential and will give up lots of HRs.

Tremendous raw stuff, mid to upper 90 FB with explosive life, especially up in the zone. Flashes a plus changeup and slider which will most likely develop into consistent plus offerings. Just wish he was a bit more polished......Still a tremendous prospect. Still wish we were able to see Jungmann right now to compare to Cole.

** Cole pitches up in the zone a lot, I wonder how that will go over in the majors, is his FB good enough to throw by hitters? Probably, but IMO if he doesn't learn to pitch down in the zone, he won't be able to make the most of his potential and will give up lots of HRs.

Considering he sits in the mid-to-upper nineties with his FB, yes he could get away with it. However, I would like to see him learn to pitch down in the zone a little more, hopefully he and his pitching coach at UCLA will work on that this offseason and next year.

But I think he'll be able to get away with throwing that fastball up in the zone (and he throws it in the perfect spot eye/shoulder level, where it looks so tempting to a hitter) sometimes, he throws a lot harder and has more movement on his FB than Tillman.

I'm starting to think that we'll wind up with Rendon even if the Pirates overtake us for worst record. The Pirates already have Alvarez and they need a frontline starting pitcher in the worst way. If both Rendon and Cole are seen as impact players, I still think the O's would pick Rendon because of their need for offense, but the Pirates would probably lean towards Cole.

I'm starting to think that we'll wind up with Rendon even if the Pirates overtake us for worst record. The Pirates already have Alvarez and they need a frontline starting pitcher in the worst way. If both Rendon and Cole are seen as impact players, I still think the O's would pick Rendon because of their need for offense, but the Pirates would probably lean towards Cole.

Alvarez may not stick at 3rd, though lately I have heard some positive things in that regard. They did just draft Taillon who figures to be a frontline starter. Imagine having both Taillon and Cole in your system.....They could though just move Alvarez to 1st and have both Alvarez and Rendon in their everyday lineup......

Doesn't sound like we could go wrong with either Rendon or Cole.

I agree, though IMO Rendon is the better prospect by a good bit. He seems like a more complete prospect. Cole has some things to iron out that may not be exactly easy(command, feel for pitching). I think I still like Jungmann more, he has physical projection that he has started to fill into. I read that he has touched 97, though I am unaware of how often he can or has done that. If you look at what Jungmann projects to become, he looks like a perfect pitching prospect(plus pitches across the board with good command and a good feel for pitching). Cole to me has the higher ceiling, but his chances of reaching it to me are not very good. BUT, he could still be a TOR SP w/o hitting his ceiling(try and fathom that!).

Archived