AFL Prospect Tracker

McLovin

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The season starts October 9th. I'll update the stat links once they start accumulating.

We have a lot of interesting prospects in the AFL - check out the roster:

http://www.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=l119&t=t_ros&cid=454

Pitchers:

Arrieta

Penn

McCrory

Haehnel

Johnson

Infielders:

Davis

Outfielders:

Fiorentino

Reimold

Reimold started and played the entire game

Arrieta relieved and pitched 2 complete innings

Blake Davis pinch ran late in the game

My full report tomorrow

Reimold started in right field, batted 7th and played the entire game.

Only 2 balls were hit in his direction.

The first was blasted over his head against the wall; he played the carom well and threw strongly and accurately to the cutoff man.

The second was a ground ball single, by the first baseman, that Reimold charged and fielded cleanly; his throw to second was strong and accurate.

Reimold batted 4 times.

It wasn't until 2nd pitch of his 3rd at-bat that he swung the thing that he was holding over his shoulder.

I watched him watch 10 pitches over 3 at-bats before his "bat" rotated forward.

First, he watched a wide curve on 2-2 count for strike three.

On his next plate appearance, he dismissed 4 straight balls and took a walk.

He then stole second without a throw and scored from 2nd on a single to right center. He looked to have better-than-average speed.

After taking the first pitch for a ball in his 3rd at-bat, he popped up an outside fastball to medium right.

In his last hitting attempt, he swung and missed at the 1st pitch, undercut the next two pitches foul to the left of home plate, and looked at a fastball on the outside corner for strike 3.

Reimold looks like a strong athlete and may be able to add some muscle to his now lean frame.

Arrieta started the 4th inning and pitched through the 5th.

He showed an orthodox, compact and consistent windup.

His fastball ranged from 89 to 93 mph and his curveball clocked at 77 mph.

He threw a 1st pitch strike to every batter he faced save one, and, I think, his deepest count was 2-2.

He dispatched the first two batters on a fly to medium left and a groundball back to the mound.

The next hitter humped one off the trademark to left and then became the 3rd out when caught attempting to steal 2nd on the second pitch to the subsequent batter.

In the 5th, Arrieta quickly retired the 3 hitters consecutively on a grounder to short, a grounder to second, and a fly to short center.

The only negative is that he never missed a bat. He worked quickly (almost effortlessly), threw strikes, and changed speeds with his curve.

There is no way that Arrieta is the 6' 4"/225 pounder listed on the roster. I'd say 6' 1"/185 pounds.

Blake Davis pinch ran at first base in the 7th. He moved up to second on a fielder's choice. In physique, he appears to be a clone of Brian Fahey.

It wasn't until 2nd pitch of his 3rd at-bat that he swung the thing that he was holding over his shoulder.

He then stole second without a throw and scored from 2nd on a single to right center. He looked to have better-than-average speed.

After taking the first pitch for a ball in his 3rd at-bat, he popped up an outside fastball to medium right.

In his last hitting attempt, he swung and missed at the 1st pitch, undercut the next two pitches foul to the left of home plate, and looked at a fastball on the outside corner for strike 3.

Not the greatest day, but I am looking forward to a lineup with Reimold and Wieters, both of whom are very patient hitters with some pop in their bats. Between the two of them and Markakis, we have 3 young players who know how to work the count.

Reimold started in right field, batted 7th and played the entire game.

Only 2 balls were hit in his direction.

The first was blasted over his head against the wall; he played the carom well and threw strongly and accurately to the cutoff man.

The second was a ground ball single, by the first baseman, that Reimold charged and fielded cleanly; his throw to second was strong and accurate.

Reimold batted 4 times.

Reimold looks like a strong athlete and may be able to add some muscle to his now lean frame.

Arrieta started the 4th inning and pitched through the 5th.

He showed an orthodox, compact and consistent windup.

His fastball ranged from 89 to 93 mph and his curveball clocked at 77 mph.

He threw a 1st pitch strike to every batter he faced save one, and, I think, his deepest count was 2-2.

He dispatched the first two batters on a fly to medium left and a groundball back to the mound.

The next hitter humped one off the trademark to left and then became the 3rd out when caught attempting to steal 2nd on the second pitch to the subsequent batter.

In the 5th, Arrieta quickly retired the 3 hitters consecutively on a grounder to short, a grounder to second, and a fly to short center.

The only negative is that he never missed a bat. He worked quickly (almost effortlessly), threw strikes, and changed speeds with his curve.

There is no way that Arrieta is the 6' 4"/225 pounder listed on the roster. I'd say 6' 1"/185 pounds.

Blake Davis pinch ran at first base in the 7th. He moved up to second on a fielder's choice. In physique, he appears to be a clone of Brian Fahey.

Great reporting Ron. Will you be able to make more games?

Great reporting Ron. Will you be able to make more games?

I'm planning on attending about dozen of the Devil Dogs's 36 games

but

I've had that kind of "plan" before

I usually attend about 1/2 dozen AFL games each year

The scouts were out en masse yesterday -- they were bussed in (2 busses) -- I'm guessing from their local area "home" ballparks -- they represented about 1/2 of my estimated 200 in attendance

Archived