state your case if we pick #2 in the 2011 draft

Although we face the Rays, Sox, and Yanks a lot, I still think we'll overtake Pittsburgh. Their team is just terrible.

So assume we pick at #2. Who do you take? Obviously, a lot can happen in the next year. But lets hear some names.

I'll go with Matt Purke. Cole might have better stuff, but Purke has better numbers (and darned good stuff, too.)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although we face the Rays, Sox, and Yanks a lot, I still think we'll overtake Pittsburgh. Their team is just terrible.

So assume we pick at #2. Who do you take? Obviously, a lot can happen in the next year. But lets hear some names.

I'll go with Matt Purke. Cole might have better stuff, but Purke has better numbers (and darned good stuff, too.)

That is assuming that Rendon is gone at #1, which is FAR from a lock. I'm actually inclined to say that if PIT edges us out for #1 they take a college SP.

Well we all know Rendon if he falls, but I'd take Purke over Jungman and Cole. Jungman performed very well, but I think Cole and Purke are both better currently and project better in the future. Cole and Purke is pretty close, but I take Purke. He has one of the toughest bulldog mentalities in baseball, which is something you look for in an impact player.

Well we all know Rendon if he falls, but I'd take Purke over Jungman and Cole. Jungman performed very well, but I think Cole and Purke are both better currently and project better in the future. Cole and Purke is pretty close, but I take Purke. He has one of the toughest bulldog mentalities in baseball, which is something you look for in an impact player.

I like Purke, and its great that he has a bulldog mentality, but I see no subsitute for the 98 MPH FB that Cole has. Cole is gonna have what looks like a possible plus-plus FB, plus slider and plus changeup in the ML. He doesn't have much projection left at all in his stuff(none physically), but it is easy to project what his arsenal will more than likely become. Purke has an above average FB, but it isn't plus, a plus slider and a changeup that probably projects to be plus. He slings the ball and is really really thin which worries some. Cole has a very durable body and has the higher ceiling and is also not too far from reaching that ceiling.

For me what it comes down to is with that #2 overall pick, I want the pitcher who has the best chance to not just be an impact player, but to be a true ace, and that pitcher is Cole. Purke to me does have a TOR ceiling, but is a bit further away from it than Cole and Cole's ceiling is a good bit higher.....

Purke does have better command though which is worth a mention....

Jungmann is actually the one who has the most projection left between the 3. Purke is probably just going to be rail thin and wiry. Jungmann could put it all together and have a better overall package IMO than Purke and better command than Cole. I'd say his ceiling is pretty similar to Cole's....

But Cole is very close to his ceiling already as far as raw stuff is concerned, so why risk a pick on Jungmann and bank on projection?

I think we'll have the opportunity to pick Rendon at #1, 2 or 3, assuming Houston doesn't somehow end up in the top 3.

With such nice pitching at the top of this draft AND Rendon's injury, I think his status is likely to take a couple-pick hit, just like it did Alvarez. Couple that with Pitt likely picking first if we don't and I definitely think Rendon falls at least one pick.

If I had to pick a pitcher, I'd need to know more about the three of them. Purke sounds like a Matusz to me (admittedly somewhat uninformed). While I love that, I'm not inclined to pick that over a guy who has true light's out power potential like Cole.

If Rendon is gone, I'm leaning towards Cole.

Agreed...Cole would add a starting pitching prosect with elite power stuff that isn't present in any of our current pitching prospects.

As an aside, I'd be curious how Purke and Matusz compare at the same point in thier development as draft prospects.

Pittsburgh already has Jones and Alvarez, so I doubt they pick Rendon

I don't know if the Pirates are worried about Garrett Jones blocking a prospect. He might not be there when Rendon would be ready. And most evaluators say Alvarez is destined for 1B in a few years, so Rendon would still fit in.

That doesn't mean I say they take Rendon, just that I wouldn't rule them out.

I don't know if the Pirates are worried about Garrett Jones blocking a prospect. He might not be there when Rendon would be ready. And most evaluators say Alvarez is destined for 1B in a few years, so Rendon would still fit in.

That doesn't mean I say they take Rendon, just that I wouldn't rule them out.

Correct...If Rendon is consensus (or near consensus) BPA, then I expect Pitt to select Rendon. Alvarez would shift to 1B.

This is a hard one. As much as I like Jungmann, he is definitely #3 here. He's got some ground to cover to close the gap, too.

And my opinion on who to take between Purke & Cole is untenable. I can be swayed, but right now, I'm saying Purke. Lefty with better intangibles & better control. The control shouldn't be overlooked. Cole has more electric stuff, but if his mechanics are such that his control will always be erratic/inconsistent, that sounds like AJ Burnett to me. As for Purke, who could he compare to? A left-handed Jake Peavy? Purke might have the better change. David Price minus a few mph? Scott Kazmir if he had better control? They all sound plausible to me. Granted, I might be selling high on Purke & low on Cole with these comparisons.

This is a hard one. As much as I like Jungmann, he is definitely #3 here. He's got some ground to cover to close the gap, too.

And my opinion on who to take between Purke & Cole is untenable. I can be swayed, but right now, I'm saying Purke. Lefty with better intangibles & better control. The control shouldn't be overlooked. Cole has more electric stuff, but if his mechanics are such that his control will always be erratic/inconsistent, that sounds like AJ Burnett to me. As for Purke, who could he compare to? A left-handed Jake Peavy? Purke might have the better change. David Price minus a few mph? Scott Kazmir if he had better control? They all sound plausible to me. Granted, I might be selling high on Purke & low on Cole with these comparisons.

I do think you are selling low on Cole and high on Purke. Burnett is basically a 2 pitch pitcher while Cole projects to have 3 plus or better pitches including a possible plus-plus FB.

Purke's issue for me is the lack of that overall velocity. When I saw him pitch, his FB touched 92 at the highest. Reports say he touches 94, but not when I saw him the last couple of times during the CWS. Even if it touches 94 at best, he just doesn't compare to Cole for me at all.

Archived