Townsend Now Going to Australia

JayThomas

Awesome pic for obvious reasons.. Of course you didn't show the pic where two minutes later she was eaten by a 17 foot salt water croc or bittten by a deadly sea snake or stung by the most painful and deadliest jelly fish. :D

I swear every time I see a special on Australia's beautiful beaches or reefs it's always followed with some horrible creature that lurks there. :D

Maybe we should remind our prospects to stay out of the water. :smile11:

Hey, you left out the great white sharks!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Calling a team the Sydney Blue Sox I get, but the Adelaide Bite? Somebody help me out here, I don't speak Australian....

'Bite' is a play on 'bight'. The Great Australian Bight is the crescent-shaped bay along the southern shore of Australia, which is where Adelaide is. The Bight is also well known for great white sharks, thus the word play.

'Bite' is a play on 'bight'. The Great Australian Bight is the crescent-shaped bay along the southern shore of Australia, which is where Adelaide is. The Bight is also well known for great white sharks, thus the word play.

You beat me to it. Spot on.

How many baseball leagues are there in Australia?

As the article that was posted by Oriolesprospect suggested, baseball's been up and down. given the fact that most of the population occurs in only a few centres (sydney, brisbane, melbourne, adelaide, gold coast, and perth), and each one of those cities is about 10 - 20 hours drive away from one to the other, it makes it unviable to have large scale comps without huge financial backing. Plus, baseball is way down on the pecking order for sports over here behind rugby league, rugby union, AFL, and Cricket. basketball is even more popular. Due to this, most competitions are regional based, with competitions generally restricted within the larger cities. Hence, the gold coast has a rather good comp, with some play possibly occurring between them and Brisbane, but you wouldn't get much play occurring with Sydney. By the way, the orioles recently drafted a picture from the Gold Coast this past year.

I played for a season in Brisbane. Generally the best competition over here would rate around a short season team, with a few star players scattered amongst them.

Awesome pic for obvious reasons.. Of course you didn't show the pic where two minutes later she was eaten by a 17 foot salt water croc or bittten by a deadly sea snake or stung by the most painful and deadliest jelly fish. :D

I swear every time I see a special on Australia's beautiful beaches or reefs it's always followed with some horrible creature that lurks there. :D

Maybe we should remind our prospects to stay out of the water. :smile11:

Most of what you hinted at is in the northern section of the country. From Brisbane south, you don't get as many deadly animals. Snakes are the biggest drama. Sharks are also a reality, but with millions surfing, its more dangerous to drive to the beach than it is to get in. I do ocean swims every weekend, and rarely have seen a shark. The water though is as beautiful as that picture indicates. Just superb.

It is a 14 hour time difference to Sydney, so a game at 7 pm on Monday would be on at 9 am on Tuesday.

Nope, you're counting in the wrong direction. That 7 PM Monday evening game in Sydney would start at 5 o'clock Monday morning in Baltimore.

Archived