Who are some local guys for next year's draft?

Two of the better local prospects OF are from PA - Mike Pappi and Derek Fisher (both heading to UVA). Both should go in the top 5 rounds. Very good left handed hitters with good arms and speed.

AJ Lardo was hurt most of last summer (hamstring) and had very few summer and fall abs. Definitely a plus runner - consistently sub 6.7 60yd times at USA baseball and Underarmour AA event. About 6ft 185 so I agree he is a little undersized.

Haven't seen Pappi -- Fisher was very solid in Jupiter, including hitting one of the longer homeruns of the entire event. He's got some holes in his swing, but the power is solid and his arm played pretty well in RF. Moved around pretty well there, too.

Two of the better local prospects OF are from PA - Mike Pappi and Derek Fisher (both heading to UVA). Both should go in the top 5 rounds. Very good left handed hitters with good arms and speed.

AJ Lardo was hurt most of last summer (hamstring) and had very few summer and fall abs. Definitely a plus runner - consistently sub 6.7 60yd times at USA baseball and Underarmour AA event. About 6ft 185 so I agree he is a little undersized.

There are a number of other PA kids worth following as well. Top on that list from an established prospect status is probably Cam Gallagher, who catchers and plays some 1B. Good power; hasn't really lit it up this summer at the events I've seen him (Area Code Games, Aflac and Jupiter), but mid-atlantic area scouts I've spoken with like him. He handled Foltynewicz last fall and looked pretty sharp this year in Jupiter behind the plate, but he's also gotten pretty darn big already.

There are a number of other PA kids worth following as well. Top on that list from an established prospect status is probably Cam Gallagher, who catchers and plays some 1B. Good power; hasn't really lit it up this summer at the events I've seen him (Area Code Games, Aflac and Jupiter), but mid-atlantic area scouts I've spoken with like him. He handled Foltynewicz last fall and looked pretty sharp this year in Jupiter behind the plate, but he's also gotten pretty darn big already.

Agree with Gallagher. While he puts on one of the most impressive BP of any current prospect, I also have not seen him do much against good live pitching at big events. Kid can definitely mash though.

Mike Pappi impressed me at the Area Code tryout and then again at the PG National Showcase. Great swing with gap to gap power and + arm. Not very fast but I think UVA will be very happy with him. Pitches too .

• 1 month later...
There are several prospects located on the Eastern Shore. While not a baseball haven, St. Michaels H.S. (Harold Baines), has two of the top pitchers in the state. Adam Parks has committed to Liberty University, while Kyle Mckelvey has committed to East Carolina. Both have 90+ fastballs and they have won 2 state championships in the past 3 years. They are loaded again this year and are heavy favorites to win it again. Scouts were at many games last year. Keep an eye out for these guys.

I live in Easton so I am very familiar with both of these guys. Adam Parks should be playing for Easton, not St. Michaels. He has a tremendous arm though.

Once again, including guys from southern VA, another kid who attended Menchville HS Ethan Carter was kicked off his team at South Carolina. He is expected to join a JuCo and be eligible to be drafted this year. He will be a later round overslotter.......

• 4 weeks later...
Once again, including guys from southern VA, another kid who attended Menchville HS Ethan Carter was kicked off his team at South Carolina. He is expected to join a JuCo and be eligible to be drafted this year. He will be a later round overslotter.......

Don't you think we have enough players currently in the organization dealing with DUI's for now? I don't know about you, but I don't want a knucklehead like this since he won't likely be able to keep himself straight.

Don't you think we have enough players currently in the organization dealing with DUI's for now? I don't know about you, but I don't want a knucklehead like this since he won't likely be able to keep himself straight.

If we get him cheap I say why not. Chances are though we will have to pay up. In that case stay away from him.

• 2 months later...

From what I have seen so far this year in the MIAA, Brendan Butler (John Carroll, Towson), AJ Lardo (Loyola, U of Maryland) and KJ Hockaday (John Carroll, U of Maryland) are the best all around position players prospects for 2011 draft. All three are torching the ball this year even though they are being pitched around every game. Lardo may be one of the fastest players in the state with plus arm and has 5 HR in his last 6 games. Butler swing is very smooth/short, + bat speed and 6.7 60 yd time. Very good curveball hitter. Hockaday is hitting in the .700 neighborhood and runs very well for a kid his size. Will likely be 6'6" by the time he is done growing. I think Hockaday and Lardo will help Maryland as freshmen.

Archived