Zrebiec: Bartlett and LaRoche are top targets

Os84

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This tells me 3 things:

1) Lee really doesn't want to come here

2) Pena is too expensive.

2) Hardy isn't available yet and if he is, the Twins want too much for him.

No way the Orioles believe Bartlett and LaRoche are better than Hardy and Lee.

Agree.

1)Prior rumors about interest in DLee now have subsided after speculation that Lee does not want to come to Baltimore/play for last place team.

2)Boras machine is working overtime on Pena, with Cubs, DBacks, Padres, BJs, Gnats all "supposedly" interested.

3)Probably more of a timing element/musical chairs. With Padres, St Louis, Giants potentially searching for SS solutions, AM may need to move more quickly to get Bartlett before the Twins decide to make Hardy available (Nioskoka signing is domino still waiting to fall).

While DLee is probably the best fit for the team given his right-handedness and ability to hit LHPs, LaRoche is not a bad two year alternative. At least that's what we hope the deal length will be. If that is indeed the length of the contract, a few million more or less does not matter much.

This tells me 3 things:

1) Lee really doesn't want to come here

2) Pena is too expensive.

2) Hardy isn't available yet and if he is, the Twins want too much for him.

No way the Orioles believe Bartlett and LaRoche are better than Hardy and Lee.

You're probably right about that evaluation. But, if Lee really doesn't want to come here; and Boras really is asking for the moon for Pena; and the Twins either don't want to move Hardy or are asking for too much, then Bartlett for a year and LaRoche for 2-3 aren't really bad options. Both are offensive upgrades at their positions for the O's and LaRoche provides very good defense at 1st, as well. It's a shame that the FA market at SS is pretty bad this year.

I'd be very surprised if LaRoche settled for less than 3 years, and I could see him getting even more. I think he's a little underrated and I would be quite happy if the O's signed him for 3 years. My prediction is that somebody signs him for 3/24-30. I hope it's the Orioles on the low end.

Bartlett. Meh.

I'm coming around to LaRoche a bit, his numbers aren't eye-popping but he's been a healthy and consistent player over the course of his career.

The Bugs are in on him, so that could drive up the price to where he's not attractive, as it seems they are intent on going on a free agent spending binge.

I still don't want to sign anyone for longer than 2 years, as I can't get the pipe dream of a blockbuster deal next off-season to Fielder or Gonzalez out of my head. I know it's not going to happen, but the thought of that true impact bat is so alluring.

1. Brian Roberts 2B

2. Nick Markakis RF

3. Adam LaRoche 1B

4. Luke Scott DH

5. Mark Reynolds 3B

6. Adam Jones CF

7. Matt Wieters C

8. Nolan Reimold LF

9. SS

I really like that lineup.

They'd probably switch Scott and Reynolds to avoid three straight lefties. But, add Bartlett in the #9 hole and it's certainly much improved over last year. Given that lineup, if we can continue to see growth and health from the young starters, it could at least be a very interesting season.

I haven't really looked much into LaRoche yet, so here is some info on him:

He just turned 31, so he isn't young but not really that old either.

Since 2004, he has seen his OPS range from 775-915..with his career OPS being 827.

His OBP has ranged from 320-355...with his average being 339.

Last year, his walk rate was the lowest its been since 2005. His K rate was the highest of his career.

His LD% was the lowest of his career last year but yet, he had a higher BABIP than usual, so he had a little bit of luck on his side last year and his OPS wasn't that strong to begin with.

His career slugging is 488, so he has solid power. He should be good for 60-65 XBH a year.

According to UZR, he had his second best year, defensively, in 2010. But his defense has been up and down.

He is essentially a 2-ish WAR player.

I think he is probably the "safest" player of Pena, Lee and himself but he also probably has the least amount of upside.

Since 2006, he has had one poor year vs lefties but other than that, he has been in the 750-800 OPS range, so that's not too bad.

I would give him one year without any issue..I would be ok with a 2 year deal but it doesn't excite me.

I'd be very surprised if LaRoche settled for less than 3 years, and I could see him getting even more. I think he's a little underrated and I would be quite happy if the O's signed him for 3 years. My prediction is that somebody signs him for 3/24-30. I hope it's the Orioles on the low end.

Bartlett. Meh.

Agree on Bartlett. I would give up little.

Re: LaRoche, IIRC at this time in 2009 he and his agent wanted a three-year deal for more or less the range you describe. They turned down a nice two-year offer from the Giants and ended up with 1/$4.5.

He didn't have a big walk year or anything. The DBacks could have had him in 2011 for $7.5MM and declined.

Also, Izturis could be re-signed as a utility guy if Bartlett is acquired.

LINK

If they re-sign Izturis as a utility guy, that probably would mean the end of Andino, who is out of options. I am not convinced that Andino wouldn't be an overall better bench player. Plus, you could reallocate the money for Izturis to other free agent acquisitions.

I think the Orioles are keeping him close as an "Izturis policy" in case they can't get Hardy or Bartlett. :wedge:

1. Brian Roberts 2B

2. Nick Markakis RF

3. Adam LaRoche 1B

4. Luke Scott DH

5. Mark Reynolds 3B

6. Adam Jones CF

7. Matt Wieters C

8. Nolan Reimold LF

9. SS

I really like that lineup.

Opposing managers will too. You've got 4 LH bats in a row. LOOGY's dream.

Bartlett. Meh.

I don't want LaRoche for any more than about 2/16, but I guess that would be an acceptable deal. He's pretty much the definition of a league-average player. His 114 OPS+ is average at first, his glove is average (a little below by TZ, about average by UZR, the fans have him dead-on average)).

I guess you could say he's about 2, 2.5 wins better than the Atkins/Wigginton/Hughes comedy troupe. Probably comparable in value to Luke Scott, just avoiding the whole "learning to play first base" mess.

Archived