NOOOOOOOO! Reimold for Bartlett? Say it ain't so!

Nick The Stick

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So far the one thing AM has excelled at is trading. If he wants to dump Reimold at what seems to be an artificially low value he must know something about Reimold that presents a huge red flag to him.

AM is not stupid.

Yeah, this is what makes me not too upset about the trade. AM is not going to get duped in a trade, even by Friedman.

Rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=309919&id=3926

According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, the Rays and Orioles are working toward a Jason Bartlett-for-Nolan Reimold swap.

Both players had strong showings in 2009 and then faded in 2010, but Reimold is four years younger than Bartlett and far more likely to bounce back. Maybe the Rays are throwing in another player, or maybe the O's are simply going to be duped again. Tampa is hoping to unload Bartlett and start Reid Brignac at shortstop next season. They haven't had much luck in trade talks with the Cardinals and Giants, but Baltimore looks primed for a big mistake.

The worst thing a fan can do is overrate their own prospects.

Do you think any of the fans of the 29 other MLB teams perceive Nolan Reimold as a valuable piece?

I'm a fan of this. First off it gives Pie a chance to play full time who I believe has much more upside/potential than Nolan.

I like Nolan a lot but we NEED a SS. Bartlett is lengths and valleys better than Izturis.

I might be reading this wrong, but it looks like roto is saying it's a big mistake, not a fan here (well...not just us).

I think it's clear that other teams don't want to give up value for Bartlett and I don't think we should either.

Yea I agree but I would take anyone of Tampa's top 8 and Bartlett for Remiold. They have a deep system

Of course you would, so would I. But, Tampa isn't trading any of their top 8 for Reimold straight up, much less including Bartlett in the deal. If we get someone in addition to Bartlett, it will probably be minor league filler (i.e. someone like Rhyne Hughes).

It's not my favorite trade, but again it does make sense from a standpoint of strength vs. need. We have Luke, Pie, and Reimold all for LF. Arguably, Reimold has been the least successful, certainly in 2010 that was the case. On the other hand, we are completely devoid of anybody to play SS for the next two years.

So, while I'd rather get Bartlett for Craig Tatum and a pack of David's, we all know Friedman is not going to offer us any charity.

I might be reading this wrong, but it looks like roto is saying it's a big mistake, not a fan here (well...not just us).

I think it's clear that other teams don't want to give up value for Bartlett and I don't think we should either.

Rotoworld lost a lot of credibility yesterday with their initial take on the Reynolds trade. They cited some stats for DH that were completely false. Something about him striking out 75 in 53 innings in AAA. I have no idea where they got that.

Moore is likely a Top 10, maybe Top 5 talent, in all of MiL. I don't think any of the players you list could be had for Reimold, straight up.

Agree 100% but they do have some top 20 guys that would work

Jake McGee, LHP, Grade C+: He was horrible coming back from Tommy John, and as a result it's hard to rank him. Could get back into the Top Ten easily

Nick Barnese, RHP, Grade B-: Durability may be an issue, but I've liked him since he was in high school. Might not have the ceiling of the other guys, but could be a good four/five if he stays healthy.

The worst thing a fan can do is overrate their own prospects.

Do you think any of the fans of the 29 other MLB teams perceive Nolan Reimold as a valuable piece?

I'm a fan of this. First off it gives Pie a chance to play full time who I believe has much more upside/potential than Nolan.

I like Nolan a lot but we NEED a SS. Bartlett is lengths and valleys better than Izturis.

This is exactly how I view the situation, and we are most definitely in the minority. :laughlol:

Reimold can become a very nice player, but... he still hasn't become anything like that. And there's really no way you can depend on that ever happening. He had about a 100 game solid season in 2009 - that's it - the same season that Bartlett was arguably a top 10 all-around player in the AL. Bartlett fell back offensively and defensively last season, but the reason could have been injuries. And he didn't fall anywhere near as bad as Reimold did. And there's so much talk about Bartlett's D falling off - but Reimold has looked awful for the most part in LF. Bartlett won't be as good as he was in 2009, but with good health - he should be better than he was in 2010. If he does well, sign him to a 2 year extension. If ya can't, get a pick or 2. If he doesn't do well, you're not tied to him past this season.

Hopefully, Reimold bounces back and becomes an .850 OPS guy who doesn't hurt his team much in the field, but we NEED a SS, and Bartlett can be that guy.

Every single person on this board wanted Bartlett. What did you guys expect to get him for? A bag of sticks? He is a shortstop that had a MONSTER season two years ago. Now that we are about to get him everyone hates it. I said all along that he shouldn't be an otpion.

Because Valentine saw him up close and over more games than anyone in any MLB Intl Scouting Department.

Valentine also compared Hideki "The Fat Toad" Irabu to Clemens and said the following:

Absolutely, says New York Mets manager Bobby Valentine, who managed the Marines and Irabu in 1995. "He throws the ball as well as anyone in the world," says Valentine."Once he gets acclimated and learns hitters, he'll remove the fallacy that American baseball is better than Japanese baseball."

Rotoworld lost a lot of credibility yesterday with their initial take on the Reynolds trade. They cited some stats for DH that were completely false. Something about him striking out 75 in 53 innings in AAA. I have no idea where they got that.

Doesn't that just mean it has to be really really bad for them to see it ;)

Archived