NOOOOOOOO! Reimold for Bartlett? Say it ain't so!

Nick The Stick

Every single person on this board wanted Bartlett. What did you guys expect to get him for? A bag of sticks? He is a shortstop that had a MONSTER season two years ago. Now that we are about to get him everyone hates it. I said all along that he shouldn't be an otpion.

The issue is that the monster season sticks out like a sore thumb. He's never approached it, before or after. And his defensive numbers have gradually declined, seven years running. His UZR/150 numbers are actually worse than Derek Jeter's over the last couple of years.

Reimold for Bartlett may be a decent trade, risk for risk, but there's more chance of it blowing up in the O's face than the Rays'.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agree 100% but they do have some top 20 guys that would work

Jake McGee, LHP, Grade C+: He was horrible coming back from Tommy John, and as a result it's hard to rank him. Could get back into the Top Ten easily

Nick Barnese, RHP, Grade B-: Durability may be an issue, but I've liked him since he was in high school. Might not have the ceiling of the other guys, but could be a good four/five if he stays healthy.

I would love to get McGee but no way the Rays include him here.

I will say this in support of AM and the FO. They realized they had 3 major holes in the offense, and it looks like they are making every effort to fill them. It won't be a dream offseason, but it is shaping up to be a productive one, and that could lead us to a .500+ record next year.

Scott can play LF better than Reimold can. And Scott playing 1B was an unsuccessful experiment last season.

I thought Scott was adequate when he played 1B, considering how few reps he had at the position. But I agree he's probably better off playing LF when he's not the DH.

One thing about this I don't like is that we lose a RH bat. Send Reimold away, sign LaRoche at 1B and we're right back where we started before the Reynolds trade in terms of RH/LH.

Agree 100% but they do have some top 20 guys that would work

Jake McGee, LHP, Grade C+: He was horrible coming back from Tommy John, and as a result it's hard to rank him. Could get back into the Top Ten easily

Nick Barnese, RHP, Grade B-: Durability may be an issue, but I've liked him since he was in high school. Might not have the ceiling of the other guys, but could be a good four/five if he stays healthy.

This has to be Sickels, and old Sickels at that.

McGee was excellent last year.

I'm not saying I would make the trade either, but to piggyback on SG's point there are reasons to think Reimold will never reach his potential. The off-field issues may continue. He's been injury-prone beyond the achilles and is also a poor fielder, so the DH point could be legitimate. I guess we'll see, since Tampa will have control of Reimold for the next five years.

I like Nolan personally. He's always seems to have a smile on his face and despite a miserable year last year on and off the field, he's always available to talk. I also think there is some upside to his bat and I honestly wouldn't mind seeing what he could do again if his personal issues are behind him.

Saying all that, I'm surprised that so many people perceive his value to be greater than it is right now.

Reimold is 27-years old and has put up a .778 OPS in 542 PAs in the major leagues. He's coming off a year in which he not only didn't hit in the major leagues, but the minor leagues as well. His off field issues casued him to have to leave his minor league team in mid-season and then refuse a winter ball season. The Orioles thought so much of him in September that Showalter gave him only 35 plate appearances in which he put up a .535 OPS.

When I talked to him in in late Septemeber, he told me the only thing Showalter ever said to him was "hello." No one ever talked about his role or that he should try playing first base or anything.

To me, this tells me he's not a Showalter guy for whatever reason. Maybe he could become one if given a chance, but it was pretty apparent last September that his future with the Orioles was cloudy at best.

Although I would certainly prefer Hardy to Bartlett, Bartlett is certainly an upgrade to Itzuris at SS and he's certainly a solid defensive SS who's coming off a career worse offensive performance that was still head and shoulders above Itzuris. Bartlett had a career .327 BABIP coming into last season and was a bit unlucky at .299 last year.

In season's in which he's been given 500+ Pa, Bartlett has put up 3.1, 5.0, and a 1.5 WAR last season (his career worse when given that many PA). Itzuris was a -0.4 last season and a 0.8 WAR the year before.

Sorry, but I'm going against the grain and saying this is a good trade for the Orioles. We upgrade our offense a bit and keep a solid defensive SS in Bartlett. Maybe Reimold needs a change of scenery as well. this looks like a win-win to me.

I will say this in support of AM and the FO. They realized they had 3 major holes in the offense, and it looks like they are making every effort to fill them. It won't be a dream offseason, but it is shaping up to be a productive one, and that good lead us to a .500+ record next year.

If we would get Konerko,Bartlett and Reynolds, Most people would think it was a pretty good offseason. Or maybe not.:laughlol: I am not sure about Konerko but we would be better.

Every single person on this board wanted Bartlett. What did you guys expect to get him for? A bag of sticks? He is a shortstop that had a MONSTER season two years ago. Now that we are about to get him everyone hates it. I said all along that he shouldn't be an otpion.

well... not everyone. I didn't and don't want Bartlett (unless it is for little in return). I hope I'm wrong about him. That being said, if the trade goes through I am not going to knock McPhail (too much).

This is an awful awful trade. DO NOT DO THIS AM.

Why?

Reimold has power potential. If Reimold, performed in 2010 like he did in 2009 we wouldnt even be talking about this. Reimold's opportunities were sapped because of personal reasons and now that he is straightened out, he is primed for a bounce back season - one which I hope does not occur with the Rays. Everybody has personal issues and demons and we shouldn't devalue Reimold's capabilities on the field because of them. Reimold has power and we clearly covet this, so we shouldn't be trading him for an average ML shortstop.

I like Nolan personally. He's always seems to have a smile on his face and despite a miserable year last year on and off the field, he's always available to talk. I also think there is some upside to his bat and I honestly wouldn't mind seeing what he could do again if his personal issues are behind him.

Saying all that, I'm surprised that so many people perceive his value to be greater than it is right now.

Reimold is 27-years old and has put up a .778 OPS in 542 PAs in the major leagues. He's coming off a year in which he not only didn't hit in the major leagues, but the minor leagues as well. His off field issues casued him to have to leave his minor league team in mid-season and then refuse a winter ball season. The Orioles thought so much of him in September that Showalter gave him only 35 plate appearances in which he put up a .535 OPS.

When I talked to him in in late Septemeber, he told me the only thing Showalter ever said to him was "hello." No one ever talked about his role or that he should try playing first base or anything.

To me, this tells me he's not a Showalter guy for whatever reason. Maybe he could become one if given a chance, but it was pretty apparent last September that his future with the Orioles was cloudy at best.

Although I would certainly prefer Hardy to Bartlett, Bartlett is certainly an upgrade to Itzuris at SS and he's certainly a solid defensive SS who's coming off a career worse offensive performance that was still head and shoulders above Itzuris. Bartlett had a career .327 BABIP coming into last season and was a bit unlucky at .299 last year.

In season's in which he's been given 500+ Pa, Bartlett has put up 3.1, 5.0, and a 1.5 WAR last season (his career worse when given that many PA). Itzuris was a -0.4 last season and a 0.8 WAR the year before.

Sorry, but I'm going against the grain and saying this is a good trade for the Orioles. We upgrade our offense a bit and keep a solid defensive SS in Bartlett. Maybe Reimold needs a change of scenery as well. this looks like a win-win to me.

You actually are doing a good job convincing me. However, I am still disturbed by the idea of Pie as the full-time left fielder? Do you have confidence in Pie? I guess they could get someone else to share time if necessary. I know everyone is saying Scott, but someone has to DH too.

At this point I don't think Werth is the right comp for Reimold. The best comp is right on our own team in Luke Scott. In other words, it's not the end of the world to trade him but why not trade Scott and keep Reimold if we're rebuilding?

Reimold is not even in the area code of either Werth or Scott right now. Scott or Werth might be best case scenarios for Nolan, but he is nowhere near there yet.

Archived