NOOOOOOOO! Reimold for Bartlett? Say it ain't so!

Nick The Stick

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How in the world did Bartlett finish 18th in MVP voting in 2008 with a .286/.329/.361, and a WAR of 0.3?

Or how Ripken finished 3rd in the voting in 1989 despite having one of his statistically worst offensive seasons. Figuring out the voters on any award is a fools errand.

Although I would certainly prefer Hardy to Bartlett, Bartlett is certainly an upgrade to Itzuris at SS and he's certainly a solid defensive SS who's coming off a career worse offensive performance that was still head and shoulders above Itzuris. Bartlett had a career .327 BABIP coming into last season and was a bit unlucky at .299 last year.

Have you seen Bartlett play much? The fan's scouting report has him as about a league-average SS with the glove. But his numbers look like they've been falling for years, and now look a little ugly.

And I'm not sure how unlucky he was last year. His batted ball data is right in line with his career rates. His LD% was down a tick for whatever reason.

But 2009 just sticks out - I don't know why but he hit a ton more flyballs/fewer grounders, and the flyballs he hit went out of the park at twice his normal rate. No idea what was going on, or if there's any chance of that coming back. Maybe he was just dialed in. But in any case, 2010 looks almost exactly like his career averages.

Every single person on this board wanted Bartlett. What did you guys expect to get him for? A bag of sticks? He is a shortstop that had a MONSTER season two years ago. Now that we are about to get him everyone hates it. I said all along that he shouldn't be an otpion.

Except all the people on this board who don't want Bartlett.

Or how Ripken finished 3rd in the voting in 1989 despite having one of his statistically worst offensive seasons. Figuring out the voters on any award is a fools errand.

Yeah, and if the O's had held on - if Jamie Quirk catches that curveball - Ripken probably would have won! I remember thinking at the time that it was probably rare for a guy to win MVP while having the worst year of his career.

Yeah, and if the O's had held on - if Jamie Quirk catches that curveball - Ripken probably would have won! I remember thinking at the time that it was probably rare for a guy to win MVP while having the worst year of his career.

Worst year, probably. But a lot of guys (Yogi, Ted Williams come to mind) won MVP awards in seasons that weren't among their best. I guess one definition of a Hall of Famer could be "could this guy win an MVP when he's just having a regular year?"

Every single person on this board wanted Bartlett. What did you guys expect to get him for? A bag of sticks? He is a shortstop that had a MONSTER season two years ago. Now that we are about to get him everyone hates it. I said all along that he shouldn't be an otpion.

Not every single person on this board wanted Bartlett.

I would much rather have Hardy, but his availability is in question. I'm not too high on trading Reimold for Bartlett mainly because Bartlett is roughly the same age as Izturis, and again, I'd rather have Hardy. Now, Bartlett is definitely superior to Izturis even in his down year last season. While I hate to lose Reimold because I really like what he brings to the table, I understand Tony's take on it completely. Reimold is getting older, he's had injury issues, and last year was just a completely lost season on so many levels. Maybe he bounces back, but there's just as good a chance that he doesn't.

Bartlett is not the ideal guy that I want, but having him is still an upgrade to what we had last season. Losing Reimold hurts, but on some level I can't hold it against the team for getting better.

After dealing 2 of their most in demand chips (relief pitching) for Reynolds, I'm guessing that the O's don't match up well any more with the Twins.

And given the paucity of cheap MLB relief talent (look at the deals for Benoit, Putz so far), I'm not certain the O's would be able to acquire parts to deal for Hardy right now.

I wonder if the Twins plan on keeping Hardy, and then using him as a trade piece mid-season, either for relief help (if in contention) or salary dump (if playoffs seem unlikely).

Archived