NOOOOOOOO! Reimold for Bartlett? Say it ain't so!

Nick The Stick

I agree this would not be a smart trade...But I am going to play devil's advocate here for a moment.

Let's say the Orioles really have a low opinion of Reimold, for one reason or another..Maybe its his attitude(which shouldn't be the case but who knows what is going on behind the scenes), maybe they see him as a DH only..Maybe they think his achilles is going to be a constant issue...Whatever the reason is, let's just assume for the moment that the Orioles are determined to trade Reimold.

So, the question is, coming off of a terrible year emotionally, physically and at the plate, what is Reimold's value? It has to be very little..Of course, this is why you keep him but that's for a different post.

So, if they have shopped him and the best thing they can get for him is Bartlett, does the trade make more sense in that scenario?

I guess- particularly if Showalter has developed a high opinion of Bartlett somewhere along the way and thinks he can win with him at SS. Who knows if that's the case though... Anyway- perhaps AM and Buck just feel like Reimold's lost in the woods and got a long uncertain journey ahead of him. If you can exit the scene with an MLB SS and move on... so be it.

Not saying I like it- but I guess I can see it.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
#Orioles and #Rays swap of Jason Bartlett for Nolan Reimold is heating up. One source expects it to happen today,

http://twitter.com/danconnollysun/status/12201301060358145

Rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=309919&id=3926

According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, the Rays and Orioles are working toward a Jason Bartlett-for-Nolan Reimold swap.

Both players had strong showings in 2009 and then faded in 2010, but Reimold is four years younger than Bartlett and far more likely to bounce back. Maybe the Rays are throwing in another player, or maybe the O's are simply going to be duped again. Tampa is hoping to unload Bartlett and start Reid Brignac at shortstop next season. They haven't had much luck in trade talks with the Cardinals and Giants, but Baltimore looks primed for a big mistake.

What a stupid comment, we haven't gotten really duped in a trade since Glenn Davis, we just sign dumb FA's and don't produce any players of our own!

What a stupid comment, we haven't gotten really duped in a trade since Glenn Davis, we just sign dumb FA's and don't produce any players of our own!

Well we havent got duped since AM joined the Orioles. Previously we got duped by taking damaged goods...

Kurt Ainsworth, Damian Moss

Bad relief pitcher for number 1 prospect guy in San Fran now

Exactly. This is a trade from what they view as a strength for a weakness. I would rather do this trade than have to give up JJ and only have like 2 relievers right now in the bullpen. Plus maybe something is in the works to aquire Willingham or something like that. Someone else said it earlier that they may only view reimold as a dh because of his injury issues. You gotta give something to get something.

I agree this would not be a smart trade...But I am going to play devil's advocate here for a moment.

Let's say the Orioles really have a low opinion of Reimold, for one reason or another..Maybe its his attitude(which shouldn't be the case but who knows what is going on behind the scenes), maybe they see him as a DH only..Maybe they think his achilles is going to be a constant issue...Whatever the reason is, let's just assume for the moment that the Orioles are determined to trade Reimold.

So, the question is, coming off of a terrible year emotionally, physically and at the plate, what is Reimold's value? It has to be very little..Of course, this is why you keep him but that's for a different post.

So, if they have shopped him and the best thing they can get for him is Bartlett, does the trade make more sense in that scenario?

I'm not saying I would make the trade either, but to piggyback on SG's point there are reasons to think Reimold will never reach his potential. The off-field issues may continue. He's been injury-prone beyond the achilles and is also a poor fielder, so the DH point could be legitimate. I guess we'll see, since Tampa will have control of Reimold for the next five years.

The worst thing a fan can do is overrate their own prospects.

Do you think any of the fans of the 29 other MLB teams perceive Nolan Reimold as a valuable piece?

I'm a fan of this. First off it gives Pie a chance to play full time who I believe has much more upside/potential than Nolan.

I like Nolan a lot but we NEED a SS. Bartlett is lengths and valleys better than Izturis.

That is the thing with Nolan. He could very well be over-valued by the Baltimore fans. I like him, and would like to see him stay, but they need a SS, and Hardy may very well not be available.

This really is a no win situation for Baltimore. They keep Nolan, and he bombs, then we will wonder why they did not trade from our perceived depth, or he goes to Tampa and does well and we will wonder why did they trade him. If he does do well in Tampa, it may be because of a change of scenery for him.

The worst thing a fan can do is overrate their own prospects.

Do you think any of the fans of the 29 other MLB teams perceive Nolan Reimold as a valuable piece?

I'm a fan of this. First off it gives Pie a chance to play full time who I believe has much more upside/potential than Nolan.

I like Nolan a lot but we NEED a SS. Bartlett is lengths and valleys better than Izturis.

Barlett is aging (will be 32), expensive, can't hit, and his defense is declining.

He may be an upgrade to Izturis, but I'm an upgrade to Izturis. That doesn't mean you should sign me.

Archived