Prince Fielder or Bust

jonglo

When your reply is "would be stupid" or "sounds horrible" then whats the point of a message board? Theres absolutely no opinion in that its just trash.

You're trying so hard to be cool and I'm just trying to talk baseball.

I'm not trying to be cool, I'm just trying to tell you that trading two highly-thought of arms that we control for 6+ years for a guy that won't extend with us (and even if he did, a guy that we would have to give an outlandish contract to), isn't a real good way to make us competitive.

But yes, "Prince Fielder or Bust"

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It speaks volumes when a team like the Red Sox is willing to give up prospects AND that amount of money, rather than pursue A-Gon in FA. They know that on the open market, a player like that could demand closer to $200 million, which Boras will.

Prince is going to be the premier FA next year (assuming Pujols gets extended). If not, and they both hit the market, can you imagine the race to sign one of them? And what will happen when there is only one left?

Of course, we are not in a position to be trading away the farm, and I doubt MacPhail would be willing to hand out a contract to Scott Boras the likes of which he would recommend to Prince to accept.

It speaks volumes when a team like the Red Sox is willing to give up prospects AND that amount of money, rather than pursue A-Gon in FA. They know that on the open market, a player like that could demand closer to $200 million, which Boras will.

Prince is going to be the premier FA next year (assuming Pujols gets extended). If not, and they both hit the market, can you imagine the race to sign one of them? And what will happen when there is only one left?

Of course, we are not in a position to be trading away the farm, and I doubt MacPhail would be willing to hand out a contract to Scott Boras the likes of which he would recommend to Prince to accept.

This is all you need to know. Even if you were willing to overpay significantly for Fielder, why would you compound that by giving away 4 young players inclusive of Matusz & Britton as well as overpaying him?

Makes zippy sense, and while Fielder is good, he's NOT that guy.

Funny, but in the 5+ years that Fielder has been on the Brewers, his team is exactly .500 and has made one wild card appearance in a year when his team won 90 games. So why would anyone think that he is going to carry the Orioles by himself to the extent that we can trade away Britton + Tillman + others, pay him a boatload not to become a free agent, and have that deal make any sense?

I dont understand this post Frobby.

No One is suggesting add Fielder or Agonz (before he was traded) and stop making moves.

Fielder would be a big addition.

If they also trade for a LF, and a SP , and a few BP arms , and Hardy. Then the Orioles may not win the division ...But to think they wouldn't be drastically improved is foolish.

The cost of Fielder shouldn't be as high as Gonzalez IMO. They should also get a extension window & Fielders suitors will be less with the Yankees & Red Sox having franchise 1B. If they offered a deal close to Tex got they'd probably accept it.

The cost of Fielder shouldn't be as high as Gonzalez IMO. They should also get a extension window & Fielders suitors will be less with the Yankees & Red Sox having franchise 1B. If they offered a deal close to Tex got they'd probably accept it.

Could'nt agree more. Not even Boras can make Fielder out to be anywhere close to Tex/Ago as far as defense goes... and like you said, our only real competition is the Angels/Mets.

Funny, but in the 5+ years that Fielder has been on the Brewers, his team is exactly .500 and has made one wild card appearance in a year when his team won 90 games. So why would anyone think that he is going to carry the Orioles by himself to the extent that we can trade away Britton + Tillman + others, pay him a boatload not to become a free agent, and have that deal make any sense?

... he won't have to. Subtracting Tillman (#4-5 type) and prospect who has never thrown a pitch in the major leagues seems like a small price to pay for a guy who could litterally tear up OPACY and turn this lineup into one that would rival NYY and Boston. Just my two cents:)

I like Fielder but not the price in young talent that it would cost to get him this year. So just wait a year until he becomes a Free Agent and then throw the bank at him. We are probably not contending in 2011 anyway.

Throwing the bank at him may not be enough. Having the advantage of him being an Oriole for a year and playing with Markakis, Jones and Wieters etc, would really help us IMO.

Can you name the teams likely to be in serious pursuit of Fielder next year?

Throwing the bank at him may not be enough. Having the advantage of him being an Oriole for a year and playing with Markakis, Jones and Wieters etc, would really help us IMO.

While it may help chemistry to a small degree, it's not like we're running the triangle offense here.

Archived