CBSSports: Hardy & Harris for Hoey & Jacobson a done deal

hoosiers

Wow, there are some morons on the Sun Board.

Yeah I am amazed with seeing how short-sighted some fans are. Do they remember how abyssmal our SS/3B output was last year? They ignore that Hardy has 20 home run power and was considered the best defensive SS in baseball. They look at Reynolds 198 average from last year and deem him a permanent Mendoza line hitter and totally ignore that he was hurt last year and the fact he had a great 2009 season. Oh and the fact that we got both guys at the cost of relief pitching. Only one of whom has been successful on the bigl league level.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am usually really hard on the O's but these are two moves that I am really happy about. It would be nice to get Fielder but I am not sure how much I trust him with his weight, besides we need to sign him long term and I am not sure I weould give him anywhere close to the deal Agon received.

All in all a good couple days for the O's. I am hoping to land a starter and first baseman that can make an impact right now. Then I will root for a lot of injuries to the Yanks and Sox and hopefully steal the AL East.

I am not always this positive so please let me enjoy my moment. :mwahaha: :thumbsup1: :2yay-thumb: :boogie: :beerchug1: :clap3:

The Orioles officially acquired shortstop J.J. Hardy, infielder Brendan Harris, and $500K from the Twins for minor league pitchers Brett Jacobson and Jim Hoey, the teams announced.

Baltimore had been engaged in serious talks with the Twins for Hardy earlier at the Winter Meetings, and their desire to finalize a trade likely increased following reports that another trade target, Jason Bartlett, was headed to San Diego. The O's had interest in both shortstops, even when Hardy was considered a non-tender candidate last month.

Finalized fellas. J.J. Hardy is an Oriole

And if he'd signed XYZ free agents before other teams, or in past years, he'd have heard less of it as well.

Not saying the preceding to undercut the quality of the moves he's made this winter, thus far, but to point out that your reasoning is suspect.

Hindsight is what it is...and regardless, we don't actually know what the start and end points of past/completed negotiations were.

It's not suspect at all. Sure, it's possible that he gained nothing by waiting and that's acknowledged by the way I worded my statement. As far as the XYZ free agents you mention, well that has very little to to with speed of operating and very much to do with not wanting to pay the free agents what it would take.

I'm going to say I jumped the gun on that weaker pitching statement. I thought about this after you and another poster called me out on that.

They do have some great pitching over there.

Much large Ballparks also, Petco , AT&T park and Dodger Stadium are all pitcher freindly. Chase and Coors are similiar to Orioles Park

I hereby take back anything bad I have ever said about Andy MacPhail.

Great job recognizing and taking advantage of the Twins' budget constraints.

I assume we're just going to eat Brendan Harris' contract. I'd rather have Andino as my utility infielder.

Wait, Harris is a former Cub and happy to be in Baltimore. So yuo're the one.:laughlol:

On whether it gets difficulty being traded: "It can go both ways. The first time I was traded from the Cubs, the emotional aspect of it. You’re like, ‘Oh my God.’ You feel like the rug got pulled out from under you. I think as you get older, you get a little more jaded to accept the business side of the game, that this is just kind of how it goes and it’s part of the deal. That aspect, it’s all right, it’s easier. This one is a little different because I’m from the East Coast and I got family kind of closer to here. I’d say out of the trades, it’s probably one of the easier ones."

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/12/harris_excited_for_new_opportu.html

Wait, Harris is a former Cub and happy to be in Baltimore. So yuo're the one.:laughlol:

On whether it gets difficulty being traded: "It can go both ways. The first time I was traded from the Cubs, the emotional aspect of it. You’re like, ‘Oh my God.’ You feel like the rug got pulled out from under you. I think as you get older, you get a little more jaded to accept the business side of the game, that this is just kind of how it goes and it’s part of the deal. That aspect, it’s all right, it’s easier. This one is a little different because I’m from the East Coast and I got family kind of closer to here. I’d say out of the trades, it’s probably one of the easier ones."

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/12/harris_excited_for_new_opportu.html

Still think we're in on Willingham?

Archived