CBSSports: Hardy & Harris for Hoey & Jacobson a done deal

hoosiers

Weaker pitching? Have you scanned the rosters of the NL west?

I am sorry, but his post was pretty much all opinion. There is good pitching in the NL too. Reynolds upgrades us for certain. That guy could hit 40+ bombs next year. A strikeout is the same to any other out for me if a runner is not moved over. If I could be guaranteed that a guy would have 100 extra base hits then I wouldn't care if he struck out 250 times a year.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adding Reynolds and Hardy without touching the core of the young arms is huge. Allows you to continue to be patient while waiting for the young arms to blossom or use those arms for a block buster trade for a greinke or fielder. Very nice job.

Wow, we almost gave up Reimold for Bartlett yet we were able to get Hardy for two C-type relief prospects? Here's to MacPhail on this one. I thought the only reason we were going for Bartlett was because Hardy was priced too high. I'm actually shocked that's all it took, even with his bump in salary and with only one year left on Hardy's deal.

Nice job by MacPhail here.

Im on board with everyone else here. I mean WOW, we got 2 Major Leaguers, 1 a starting SS, for 2 relief PROSPECTS, not even Major Leaguers. I know the talent we are getting back is nowhere near, BUT, this is a fleecing like the Mariners trade a few years back

I ranted about not being aggressive about 8 days ago. I stand corrected.

Nice moves thus far. Sure hope we can get a nice upgrade at 1B.

As for not improving enough to keep up the the AL east.

Last season we were 500 against BOS , 4 games under 500 against NYY & TBR. TOR owned us 3-15.

Seeing what has been done thus far I say they can improve those numbers across the board. Hell the team was 500 after the AS break last year.

I will not stomp on them until they actually play this coming season.

:2yay-thumb: Nice moves O's :2yay-thumb:

Here's hoping for improvement at 1B.. :beerchug1:

Brett Jacobson and Jim Hoey have good arms. Jacobson has pitched two years in High A and has yet to dominate. Hoey's velocity came back last year but he had command problems in AA and AAA and was a longshot to even make the bullpen. Hoey could have been a 6 year minor league FA and no one would have blinked an eye. We basically gave up nothing to get Hardy.

Exactly, they are both simply "warm bodies" for the Twinkies....little if anything more.

I ranted about not being aggressive about 8 days ago. I stand corrected.

Nice moves thus far. Sure hope we can get a nice upgrade at 1B.

As for not improving enough to keep up the the AL east.

Last season we were 500 against BOS , 4 games under 500 against NYY & TBR. TOR owned us 3-15.

Seeing what has been done thus far I say they can improve those numbers across the board. Hell the team was 500 after the AS break last year.

I will not stomp on them until they actually play this coming season.

:2yay-thumb: Nice moves O's :2yay-thumb:

Here's hoping for improvement at 1B.. :beerchug1:

I agree with all the sentiments expressed....these are very nice deals that give Buck a stronger team certainly to manage....still.....there is the small matter of being in the AL East....this week we obtain Mark Reynolds and JJ Hardy and the Red Sox get Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford.....whew...it is going to always be hard and we may never see the Orioles win in this division without some type of parity arrangement.

So MacPhail has a good offseason by most experts accounts, we just traded relievers for our left side of the infield, we have a good nucleus of young players who AM's people drafted and developed, and yet you are still upset?

We will not get outbid for Fielder, because he will NEVER hit the free agent market. Good first baseman are not making it to the market anymore, at least not in their prime. Fielder will get traded for a nice package of players, I am sure the Brewers would prefer to deal for known prospects instead of risking that the team that signs Fielder has its 2012 pick protected and they get a sandwhich pick and a second rounder.

You should reread my post instead of picking and choosing your parts for your narrative.

It was about perspective.

I said we made good trades. And we got better as a team but not compared to our rivals. So better yes...Crawford AGon better this did not happen.

You really want to do the MacPhail draft and development argument in relation to Tampa, Toronto, Boston, even NY?

Where has MacPhail excelled in even one realm here. We pick at the top of each draft. And that's an accomplishment that our top 5 picks are good?

He didn't draft Wieters...so development...is Wieters as good as Posey now?

I love Wieters. I think he's awesome. And he's going to be an all star. But did MacPhail's development team do a good job in the minors of identifying his slow motion swing? Nope.

Matusz is awesome because he's supposed to be in that position.

We've been outspent by the Red Sox by $4 million in the draft since 2008. They pick at the backend of the draft and then go after true overslot picks.

We don't have an international player development program that is even worth boasting about.

So to my point.

We won the Reynolds and Hardy trades. And that made our team better. But winning second tier trades won't build us into a perennial winner.

We need a serious game changing addition to this team. And that's not Derrek Lee or Mark Reynolds or Hardy.

I'm as excited as anyone but let's not make like this is 100% official yet.

Yea..Let's make sure Hoey and Hardy pass physicals.

This is a great trade.

People have said he is a marginal upgrade to Izzy. That is absurd. Hardy, when healthy and performing to his potential, is one of the best SS in baseball.

He has power, a decent OBP and is very good defensively.

To get him for nothing is great...I felt many people were overvaluing what we had to give up for him but I still expected us to have to give up something more significant than this.

Of course, we are taking on a good amount of salary and that is really the key to the deal.

I am glad that AM has recognized that the trade route is the way to go this offseason.

Hoey does still have some upside after coming back better this year, but even if he makes it back to the show he has to get over the yips and that can be tough to do. Jacobson is a long way away still and we got him for a two month Huff rental. Neither of these guys are in Tony's top 30 (in a weak farm system).

Outstanding trade. And best of luck to these two because I think they'll have a better shot of being coached up in the Twins system.

Archived