CBSSports: Hardy & Harris for Hoey & Jacobson a done deal

hoosiers

Editor's Merge Notes: The Twins have agreed to send J.J. Hardy and infielder Brendan Harris to Baltimore in exchange for minor-league pitchers Brett Jacobson and Jim Hoey.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_16811327

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/111569169.html?page=1&c=y

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-winter-meetings-1209-20101208-14,0,5180509.story

Seems like priority one has been improvement at SS - "we've spent a lot of time on it" - AM.

Not sure if Bartlett was Option 1, but the Os appear quite comfortable with Hardy.

One of the Twins sites hints the Twins are focused on a middle infield of Casilla and Nishioka.

Of the two guys obtained for Bartlett, only Ramos was on the BA Top 30 list entering 2010. Neither was on the BA list entering 2009. Pelzer - not retained in our 40 man - was in the Padres top 10 in 2010 and top 20 in 2009 comfortably ahead of both guys. That does not appear to be a high bar to clear if Bartlett and Hardy are expected to generate similar yields.

I am not sure why the Pirates have not played a little stronger for both Bartlett and Hardy. It's difficult to believe it appears that neither guy will yield a top 20 prospect. We were certainly debating parting with much better players for Bartlett yesterday.

Hardy appears to be an important target of our FO and I should hope it gets done soon.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Per Connolly tweet: #Orioles potential trade for J.J. Hardy and Bendan Harris culd b annced Thursday. #Twins likely wuld receive 2 Ps, maybe Hoey & Jacobson

That would be a complete steal on our part if the prospects listed above are accurate.

Per Connolly tweet: #Orioles potential trade for J.J. Hardy and Bendan Harris culd b annced Thursday. #Twins likely wuld receive 2 Ps, maybe Hoey & Jacobson

Umm...do we have to take Harris? I'd be fine without him...

(doesn't seem to me like we need another lousy-hitting, lousy-fielding utility guy)

That's the first time I have heard Harris' name connected to this. He's owed 1.75 MM next year. Blah, I guess if we have to take a little more salary on in order to get Hardy without giving up much that's fine.

Jacobson will definitely be in the deal. MIN covets him.

I'm guessing the hold up is that it takes a while to find a font big enough to type out and fax over a gigantic YES! Either that, or MacPhail needs to figure out if they're actually serious, or if they're pulling a prank on him.

Any chance we extend Hardy? Or is he one and done if we do get him?

I'm hoping we'd look to extend him.

Interesting that Harris might be coming over as well. We'll have a group of utility infielders fighting for spots come Spring Training, especially if Nick Green comes to Baltimore (as somebody mentioned over Twitter).

I don't see why we wouldn't be able to give him a 2 or 3 year deal. He's a guy that's probably looking for some security. Who knows, though.

Considering his injury history the last 2 seasons, I'd be very surprised if he would turn down a 3/18-21m if it was offered.

Any chance we extend Hardy? Or is he one and done if we do get him?

I'd be very interested in extending Hardy if he'd go for a two year deal (three if we extend him before arbitration this year).

He'll probably be at least a type B FA in the event that he walks, though.

Archived