Zrebiec: At impasse with LaRoche; turning attention to Lee

section36

In other words, to paraphrase, Lee would love to be a Baltimore Oriole IF they pay him the most money AND every other MLB team does not sign him. I think that about sums it up.
I think it means that Lee will sign with the O's for 10MM, providing Texas doesn't make an offer, or the Gnats don't offer more.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In other words, to paraphrase, Lee would love to be a Baltimore Oriole IF they pay him the most money AND every other MLB team does not sign him. I think that about sums it up.

Right, and it sounds like LaRoche has come to his senses and has realized that the Orioles may be the only team willing to give him more than one year.

They retired about 5-10 years ago.

Well with the new tid bits, what would you guys say now about Lee or Laroche? Just curious if Lee would still be a favorite here, considering that he'd rather have a root canal opposed to playing in Baltimore? Maybe Laroche was asking a little too much, but would a 2 year with an option still be ok with a majority of the posters, or do you say we go a completely diffrent route entirely? Just making my own determination, but not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about "He has warmed a little to the idea" , when referring to Lee

Well with the new tid bits, what would you guys say now about Lee or Laroche? Just curious if Lee would still be a favorite here, considering that he'd rather have a root canal opposed to playing in Baltimore? Maybe Laroche was asking a little too much, but would a 2 year with an option still be ok with a majority of the posters, or do you say we go a completely diffrent route entirely?

It seems that neither player really wants to be here.

I would still rather have Lee for one year than LaRoche for two.

Well with the new tid bits, what would you guys say now about Lee or Laroche? Just curious if Lee would still be a favorite here, considering that he'd rather have a root canal opposed to playing in Baltimore? Maybe Laroche was asking a little too much, but would a 2 year with an option still be ok with a majority of the posters, or do you say we go a completely diffrent route entirely?

Ben Goessling of MASN posted a new blog today as well. He suggested that the Nats probably still favor Lee over LaRoche. Additionally, he thinks it would be silly of the Nats to pass on giving Dunn a 4-year deal and then overpay LaRoche to replace him.

This, combined with the new info from Zrebiec, leads me to believe that LaRoche ends up with the O's on a 2-year deal (maybe 3rd year option).

Ben Goessling of MASN posted a new blog today as well. He suggested that the Nats probably still favor Lee over LaRoche. Additionally, he thinks it would be silly of the Nats to pass on giving Dunn a 4-year deal and then overpay LaRoche to replace him.

This, combined with the new info from Zrebiec, leads me to believe that LaRoche ends up with the O's on a 2-year deal (maybe 3rd year option).

I don't really have a feel for how this is going to come out, except to say the following: Lee is nearing the end of a distinguished career and has made $84 million by now. In that situation, I'd guess that winning is a pretty high priority for him vs. making $2-3 mm more next year. LaRoche has a few more years to go and he's made far less in his career than Lee (about $21 mm). He probably places a bit more value on maximizing his income over the next few years than Lee does. So, I'd say the chances of LaRoche signing here are higher than the chances that Lee signs here. Too bad, because I'd rather have Lee.

I don't really have a feel for how this is going to come out, except to say the following: Lee is nearing the end of a distinguished career and has made $84 million by now. In that situation, I'd guess that winning is a pretty high priority for him vs. making $2-3 mm more next year. LaRoche has a few more years to go and he's made far less in his career than Lee (about $21 mm). He probably places a bit more value on maximizing his income over the next few years than Lee does. So, I'd say the chances of LaRoche signing here are higher than the chances that Lee signs here. Too bad, because I'd rather have Lee.

Unless he signs with Texas, none of the teams interested in him are going to be winners.

So, the question then should be, what team can I go to where I think I can put up the best numbers?

He is familiar with the ML and pitchers over there but the NL East has some very good pitching and I don't think the nats park is much of a hitters park but not 100% sure on that.

He should be able to hit for a lot of power in OPACY but he is also coming to a tough division in a league where he isn't familiar.

So, its tough to say where he is more likely to have a bounce back year to where he can end up with one last 2-3 year deal with a contender.

I'd have to think Laroche also because MacPhail needs 1st base filled, and he has an easy escape out next offseason (provided he's retained), when the expectations start up about the Orioles adding Fileder or Pujols. I say the conversation goes a little like this "Well Peter, we can either add Laroche now for $7-8 million or look like complete fools next year for not getting in a bidding war for Prince or Albert. I say we add Laroche now, and save face a little with the fanbase, and it's easy to say we already have a 1st baseman"

Did you see Heyman's bargain free agents? Do you agree ?

Thames and Gregg are listed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_heyman/12/27/free.agents/

I personally think we should sign Thames either way. Whether we land Laroche or not, a DH will be needed to keep Scott in left, but I in no way feel that Thames should be added to fill the gap if Laroche is lost.

I'd say Lee will be a mute point within 3 days, and we need to start loading the gun if we plan on pulling the trigger. These unsigned players are gonna soon want to know, and make plans on where they will be playing this year for family reasons if nothing else. I look for things to start really picking up soon

Archived