2018 11th Round ( 325) Cody Roberts - C - North Carolina (NC)

6' 1 195lbs DOB: 06/16/96

Image result for coby roberts unc

Luke's Take: An athletic catcher who produced a 1.79 pop time in HS, there is some confusion as to whether the Orioles will use him as a catcher or pitcher. He didn't really pitch in college, one short outing as a Freshman, and one short outing in a summer league. He was however drafted out of HS by the Marlins as a pitcher and he touched 91 in high school. As a catcher, he's an excellent defender who might have enough of a bat for a backup role.

Here are a couple excerpts from Baseball Draft Report on Roberts.

https://baseballdraftreport.com/tag/cody-roberts/

"I’m sure there is a more eloquent way to put this, but I’m a huge sucker for C/RHP Cody Roberts. Logic goes a bit out the window when it comes to his prospect stock because I enjoy watching him play so damn much. Roberts has arguably the best arm strength in this entire class of any position player, flirts with above-average raw power, and is as athletic as any catcher you’d hope to find.

There’s an obvious big league backup catcher floor here that feels to me like almost a sure thing. I know he’s not a sure thing to be a big league backup because there’s truly no such thing as a sure thing in this line of work, but catchers with his kind of arm/athleticism combination are hard to deny."...

"That feels like a fair range (rounds 5-9) to project Roberts. I’d personally be very happy to get a high-floor, solid-ceiling (plus the pitching fallback with his low- to mid-90s fastball) talent like Roberts at that point in the draft."

Interesting...played catcher at UNC, but we drafted him as a pitcher. 

Batting Statistics

Year Team POS AVG OBP SLG OPS GP AB R H 2B 3b HR RBI HP BB SO SB CS
2016     .256 .323 .315 .638 54 168 27 43 5 1 1 29 3 15 30 3 0
2017     .268 .371 .374 .745 62 198 44 53 11 2 2 27 9 26 29 5 0
2018 UNC C .272 .371 .379 .750 53 195 45 53 9 0 4 34 6 27 49 4 4

The announcers mentioned on the telecast yesterday that he had a groin injury earlier in the year.  Maybe that's why his offensive numbers weren't great, and why he slipped to 11th round.  

I'm hoping to see him catch, wonder why he keeps playing RF if he's supposed to be an elite defensive catcher?

1 hour ago, Otter said:

The announcers mentioned on the telecast yesterday that he had a groin injury earlier in the year.  Maybe that's why his offensive numbers weren't great, and why he slipped to 11th round.  

I'm hoping to see him catch, wonder why he keeps playing RF if he's supposed to be an elite defensive catcher?

Yeah, that’s weird.