2004 College Lacrosse Thread

Munson

Guest theklaffer
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by mdpatsfan [/i]
[B]Christ John, you should be a Red Sox fan.

63-36-1. Seems like one of the two teams has been pretty dominant. [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL.

If I were you, John, I'd be worrying more about getting past Carolina or a resurgent UVA in the ACC finals before thinking about a rematch with Hopkins.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest theklaffer
[B]John,

When was the 19-1 drubbing you mentioned? I don't remember Hopkins losing that badly at any time. [/B][/QUOTE]

He must have gotten confused and meant Hopkins' 19-8 semifinal <i>win</i> over Syracuse last year. ;-) Talk about a drubbing!

Guest theklaffer
[B]John,

When was the 19-1 drubbing you mentioned? I don't remember Hopkins losing that badly at any time. [/B][/QUOTE]

BTW, I believe what he was referring to was Maryland's 19-8 drubbing of Cottle's #1 Loyola team in the 1998 semifinals. He was responding to your comment about it being a typical big-game performance from a Cottle team.

Maryland then went on to get absolutely creamed in the finals by Princeton, 15-5.

Incidentally, Maryland got to the semis that year by beating Hopkins 11-10 in OT in a game which I will never forget because Hopkins was the higher seed, yet had to play the game at Byrd. No way Hopkins comes close to losing if it's held at Homewood. Man that pissed me off! It's the one thing that drives me crazy about lacrosse. Just make the damn games at higher seeds until the semis for G-d sake! Enough with this BD "neutral site" crap, when we all know the sites are anything but neutral.

Loyola scored eight goals in that game? I guess it just seemed like one. That's right though, that's the one I was referring to.

BTW, I was at that Hopkins game at Byrd. Just an awesome contest. Maryland got the right side of the field on the coin flip and the goalie for Hopkins (the scum bag he was, and wasn't he eventually charged with the date rape drug?, not that I didn't care for him anyway, hehe) had the sun in his eyes for the final OT period. Literally, he never saw it coming.

Brian Carcaterra. A damn good goalie, and a pretty good kid. I have met him on several occasions. As for your memory, were you the editor for CLUSA? They were the ones that ran the story, kept it posted, and never posted the follow up where the charges were found false. I blasted them and the article was finally removed, and they NEVER did post the truth.

klaff,

I was at the finals at Rutgers the year MD melted down against Princeton. MD is my second favorite LAX team, or WAS, until Cottle became the coach. Navy has moved to the second spot now, but it was always close between them. Hop has their work cut out for them this weekend.

Guest theklaffer
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by imagine29028 [/i]
[B]Towson at 9 in some polls, 10 in others :D :cool:

Cuse drops to 6, while Carolina hops to 4.

big game this week in annapolis, #1 Hopkins @ #2 Navy :cool: [/B][/QUOTE]

Lots of big games this week. ACC Tournament, which has UVA @ UNC and then the big finale with the winner of that one against Maryland (unless Dook can pull an upset).

BTW, has anyone noticed that #4 UNC has lost 3 games this year, and the 3 losses were to the teams ranked #1, #2, and #3, with each loss by only one goal?

To me, the top 4 have really distinguished themselves this year as being far and away better han the pack. You can never count out 'Cuse and Princeton, and Georgetown, Rutgers, and maybe even Towson could make some waves, but I would be surprised if the top 4 don't hold true in reaching the Final Four this year.

Guest theklaffer
[B]klaff,

I was at the finals at Rutgers the year MD melted down against Princeton. MD is my second favorite LAX team, or WAS, until Cottle became the coach. Navy has moved to the second spot now, but it was always close between them. Hop has their work cut out for them this weekend. [/B][/QUOTE]

I went to Hopkins (Class of '95) and I am genetically predisposed to being a Tar Heel (my dad, uncle, cousins, etc. all went to Chapel Hill). So lax was the only sport in which I had a conflict of interest (well, that's not entirely true - there was the issue of the fencing team, but it didn't really register until my social life hit absolute rock bottom. :o).

Anyway, in lax I root for Hopkins first, UNC second. In all other sports, I can root for both equally within their respective NCAA Divisions.

Guest theklaffer
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Munson [/i]
[B]CN8 will be picking up the CSTV feed of the Hopkins/Navy game. [/B][/QUOTE]

And what a game it was!

Right now, there are legitimately 6 teams who could win the tournament. Hopkins, Navy, Maryland, Carolina, Virginia (if they get in), and of course Syracuse. The way Virginia is playing now is scary good. If they beat MD tomorrow, I don't see how they can be denied a spot int he tournament, and if that happens, watch out.

Virginia is playing better, but I wouldn't call it "scary" good. They beat a pretty weak Duke team and a good, but not great UNC team. Even if they win the ACC tournament and beat Penn State to end the year, that still only leaves them at 7-6. I don't know if they should get in at 7-6, even with wins over Hopkins and Maryland. The losses to Denver and Air Force kind of offset their big wins.

Guest theklaffer
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Munson [/i]
[B]Virginia is playing better, but I wouldn't call it "scary" good. They beat a pretty weak Duke team and a good, but not great UNC team. Even if they win the ACC tournament and beat Penn State to end the year, that still only leaves them at 7-6. I don't know if they should get in at 7-6, even with wins over Hopkins and Maryland. The losses to Denver and Air Force kind of offset their big wins. [/B][/QUOTE]

But look how they'll have finished. (6-2 and 4-0) How many in a row? (4) How did they start? (1-4 and 3-6). And they'll have avenged two of their losses (MD and UNC).

You're right, Denver and Air Force look bad. But let's overlook those for a minute along with the Drexel win (in other words, the first 3 games of their season). Now you're looking at a team that's 6-4 with the losses coming to Syracuse, Princeton, MD, and UNC.

I just don't know how much you can fault a team for a rough start. Look at U-Dub in basketball this year.

Besides, when was the last time the ACC tournament champion failed to make the tournament?! I know they don't get an automatic bid because there are only 4 teams, but it certainly should count for something.

Of course, if they lose either of the last two games, this is all irrelevant.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by imagine29028 [/i]
[B]Lets not count out Towson here....it depends who they'd face in the NCAA quarters...(cause its almost certain they'll get out of the CAA tourney).

the only thing that stopped them from reaching the final 4 last year was Hopkins :mad: :( [/B][/QUOTE]

It's why they play the games...

But I don't see Towson hanging in the tourney against any of the top 5, to be completely honest. They tend towards streakiness. The real test on how well they'll fare in the tourney is how well they can hang with Hopkins this coming Saturday.

Archived