Naming a child after an Oriole

csgordos

A question for all you die hard O's fans: Have you named or tried to name a child after an Oriole?

My brother and I constantly argue who is the bigger Oriole fan. I am older, have been a fan longer, so I think I easily win the argument. He lives in Australia (aka "Cricket" on the OH) and still follows them halfway around the world so argues he is a bigger fan. He also has a wife who constantly harasses him about picking a new team since the Orioles have never won since they have been together.

Well, last week my brother sealed the deal and is the official winner of which one of us is the bigger Oriole fan. He some how convinced his wife to allow the name "Ripken" to be used for his brand new baby boy. He named his son: Reuben Ripken Gordos. By the way he was a big baby at 9+ pounds.

I cannot believe that he had the courage to even try an Oriole name, let alone get one. Even WORSE is my wife said, "I kinda like the name. Or Camden for a girl!" Say WHAT!!! I never in a million years would have guessed my wife would have considered an Oriole name for one of my three children. She told me if we have another child she would be willing to consider an Oriole in the name. At that moment I had an Admiral Ackbar flashback when he is yelling "It's a TRAP" in Episode 6. So be warned if your spouse upon talking about this says they would consider it. All I can say is the possibility of a bait and switch is highly likely. So NO DEAL for me, but I am bummed that I didn't even try. The only snag with my brother's wife is she made him promise that his son can pick which team he wants to root for. But with a name Ripken, is there even an option?

So I am interested to see who on the OH had enough guts to ask their spouse to name their child after something related to the Orioles. Reputation will be issued if you had the guts to use something that is special to the Orioles. I wish I could award bonus points for success. I am interested even if you named them after "Frank" Robinson, "Jim" Palmer, etc...but really want to see who was willing to go with Boog, Brooks, Murray, etc..

Congrats to my brother on his amazing little boy and a name that will always remind me that once again, as in the rest of our lives, he finally topped his older brother!:beerchug1:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations to your brother and sister in law. I like the name.

My wife wasn't down with naming the kids after an Oriole. As a matter of fact she wouldn't even let me name my son after me. :(

I do have a nephew named Cal, and have had 2 dogs named Brooksie. Does that count?

What does it mean to "choose" which team you root for ? If you start early enough, that doesn't even make sense.

In October of 1971, I was six years-old, and I chose the Orioles as my favorite team when they played the Pirates in the World Series. Considering where I'm from, I think that I made a good choice, otherwise I would have been a Yankee fan. :cool:

In October of 1971, I was six years-old, and I chose the Orioles as my favorite team when they played the Pirates in the World Series. Considering where I'm from, I think that I made a good choice, otherwise I would have been a Yankee fan. :cool:

Okay, fair enough. But if an Orioles fan father allows his son to go until the age of six without already being an Orioles fan, then that is just negligent parenting.

I had this conversation with my wife this weekend regarding possible names for future children. I throw out all the regulars and wasn't real receptive. Nothing to do with the Oriole's as she is also a fan, but Cal, Eddie, Brooks, etc. just didn't appeal to her for no particular reason.

Jim was the closest I could get.

It would be useful if we had a big list her on the site of all good names that conjure Oriole imagery. For example, Cal or Brooks are obvious winners. Jim and Eddie and kind of standard issue names so I'm not sure they are really Orioles specific.

Oh wow, another (extremely rare) Hudson Valley, NY Oriole fan! Thought I was the only one. I live in Montgomery on the other side of the river...nothing but Yankee fans here man...can't wait to beat em' up this season.

Okay, fair enough. But if an Orioles fan father allows his son to go until the age of six without already being an Orioles fan, then that is just negligent parenting.

I agree with you, hence my children are all Orioles fans. But that was the deal he had to agree to in order to get the name he wanted. I think it was a risk worth taking and odds are he will still be able to make sure he is an Oriole fan. I on the other hand, as his uncle, am not bound by this part of the deal. So I will work on it from an early age. I see a bunch of Orioles kids clothes going through the Aussie customs agency headed for Ripken.

I agree with you, hence my children are all Orioles fans. But that was the deal he had to agree to in order to get the name he wanted. I think it was a risk worth taking and odds are he will still be able to make sure he is an Oriole fan. I on the other hand, as his uncle, am not bound by this part of the deal. So I will work on it from an early age. I see a bunch of Orioles kids clothes going through the Aussie customs agency headed for Ripken.

That seems like a difficult thing to enforce. I'm sure he can find a way to get some subtle operant conditioning in.

Oh wow, another (extremely rare) Hudson Valley, NY Oriole fan! Thought I was the only one. I live in Montgomery on the other side of the river...nothing but Yankee fans here man...can't wait to beat em' up this season.

I converted my girlfriend, who is from Pleasant Valley. So that makes three (although I guess her fanhood is much more tenuous).

I don't know how I feel about naming kids after sports people. Giving someone a name "after someone" should have some sort of meaning along with it, IMO (no offense intended).

My Cousin has two great kids. The first was named Peyton, a bit late they had a second, and I was around when he was born. They named him Brady. My girlfriend at the time said "wait, nobody is going to stop them?" I laughed so hard for so long.

Archived