Orioles Hangout Top 10 Prospects: #8 - Garrett Olson - LHP

ScottieBaseball

Who's #8 on the Orioles Hangout Top Prospect List?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who's #8 on the Orioles Hangout Top Prospect List?

• Scott Moore
    • Tim Bascom
    • Nolan Reimold
    • David Hernandez
    • Garrett Olson

Just a note SG, I said that Arrietta would be included on the prospect list, not neccesarily in the top ten. Lots of unknown there for my blood and some mixed reports as well.

Good to know, and since the list presumably didn't take into account the AFL season, I'm assuming we won't see Arrieta in the top 10. However, based on what he has done in the AFL, including reports from scouts there, I certainly think he's a top 10 talent.

Personally, I'd prefer it if OH waited until December to issue its annual top 10 list so that perfomance in the AFL and Hawaiian league could be taken into account. Two years ago OH ranked Loewen 10th, but by the end of the AFL season it was pretty clear he was a top 5 guy. My guess is that Snyder will be a little lower on this year's list than he would have been ranked based on his performance in Hawaii thus far. I know OH isn't just looking at 4-6 weeks of statistics when it does its rankings, but these fall leagues often reveal how a player will do when he moves up a level, and in cases like Wieters and Arrietta, it's really the first chance to see how they stack up against professional comeptition.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a note SG, I said that Arrietta would be included on the prospect list, not neccesarily in the top ten. Lots of unknown there for my blood and some mixed reports as well.

Well, if Arrieta is out of the top 10, then my choice here would be Hernandez as i think 8 is too low for Reimold.

In my original list, I had Hernandez at 8, so I'm going to stick with him there. The most important thing about David to me is how great of a guy he is. He was always willing to talk to media, fans, and whoever else wanted to talk whether he pitched well, or he pitched a bomb. He also is truly a student of the game; he knows what he does right and when he fails. As far as his head goes, he is willing to forgive himself, but he never forgets.

He had game earlier this season, maybe around June, where he said he threw the wrong pitch during a no-no and the ball was crushed into the Keys' parking lot. He faced the same guy in the same situation a week and a half later; knowing his mistake last time, he threw a changeup as opposed to a fastball and the dude fell down looking absolutely silly.

His "stuff" isn't the best, not like Liz, but his willingness to learn and step up on the big stage is what really shines to me. Here is to hoping he is #8 (or higher).

In my original list, I had Hernandez at 8, so I'm going to stick with him there. The most important thing about David to me is how great of a guy he is. He was always willing to talk to media, fans, and whoever else wanted to talk whether he pitched well, or he pitched a bomb. He also is truly a student of the game; he knows what he does right and when he fails. As far as his head goes, he is willing to forgive himself, but he never forgets.

He had game earlier this season, maybe around June, where he said he threw the wrong pitch during a no-no and the ball was crushed into the Keys' parking lot. He faced the same guy in the same situation a week and a half later; knowing his mistake last time, he threw a changeup as opposed to a fastball and the dude fell down looking absolutely silly.

His "stuff" isn't the best, not like Liz, but his willingness to learn and step up on the big stage his what really shines to me. Here is to hoping he is #8 (or higher).

Just wait until next year, as David understands how close he is in obtaining his goal!!! I'm sure he can taste it!!!

Left-handed hurler Garrett Olson checks in at #8 on the Orioles Hangout Top Prospect list. It appears that his selection might come as a surprise to some, but we're confident his lack of success at the big league level in '07 is the exception and not the rule for Garrett.

Click here to read the whole scoop on the Orioles Hangout #8 prospect. Enjoy!!!

Left-handed hurler Garrett Olson checks in at #8 on the Orioles Hangout Top Prospect list. It appears that his selection might come as a surprise to some, but we're confident his lack of success at the big league level in '07 is the exception and not the rule for Garrett.

Click here to read the whole scoop on the Orioles Hangout #8 prospect. Enjoy!!!

I would have just thought that Olson would have come in higher.

I really hope that Olson can translate his minor league dominance into success at the Major League Level. It's mind boggling that this guy only gave up 39 walks in 129 ip in Norfolk but gave up 28 walks in 32 innings up here!:eek:

Hopefully he doesn't continue to nibble at the corners and trusts his stuff more.

Wow...Can't believe he is this low.

Ditto that.

I thought many of us had been "corrected" in prior years into thinking Olson was better than Liz.

A few curveballs this year, but the list continues to evolve for the better with stronger consideration for new or younger prospects.

Olson was top 5 last year I believe.

So, what this tells me is that Arrieta and Wieters are in the top 7 as we probably knew...Wieters is obvious but if Arrieta is in the top 7, it tells you the Hangout staff believes he is more projectable than olson(Tony has always had reliever/starter question marks about Olson).

But it is also surprising to me because Tony has always put a lot of weight in performance and closeness to the majors as well.

Spoone has jumped Olson as well.

So, that leaves Reimold, Erbe, Liz, Rowell as guys that were ahead of or right there with Olson last year, as still in front of him.

Not sure i agree about Liz being ahead of him in that group.

Olson didn't look great in his brief ML stint but he tore up AAA.

This certainly surprises me....Would like to hear more from the staff as to why he was this low.

This just baffles me to no end!!:eek::confused: I thought since Hernandez didn't make 10, then 9, he truly be at the 8th spot, but now it looks like he won't make the Top 10 and I find that hard to believe. Boy, you guys are really shaken things up!!:D

Hernandez had a nice year, and ended it especially strong. However, his ERA has risen every year as he has risen up the ladder and although K:Bb ratio is most impressive, that unsportly 4.95 ERA in Single-A makes it hard to break into the top 10. He doesn't have the pure stuff that Spoone and Erbe has and of course Erbe is three years younger.

Tell you the truth, there was really no debate on where he should fall on the list. Now, could a big year at Double-A propel him up the list, absolutely. Do I think David Hernandez is going to pitch in the big leagues? Yes. What his role will be is still to be determined.

Archived