Orioles Hangout Top 10 Prospects: #8 - Garrett Olson - LHP

ScottieBaseball

Who's #8 on the Orioles Hangout Top Prospect List?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who's #8 on the Orioles Hangout Top Prospect List?

• Scott Moore
    • Tim Bascom
    • Nolan Reimold
    • David Hernandez
    • Garrett Olson

Where does that say he is going in the Top 10. All it said is that he would be included in the prospect list. Maybe I'm wrong. . . .

Well it says top prospect list...He didn't say top 10 and maybe he doesn't mean that but i thinK Arrieta's upside is too good not to have him there.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well it says top prospect list...He didn't say top 10 and maybe he doesn't mean that but i thinK Arrieta's upside is too good not to have him there.

I guess that's where we disagree, because I think Hernandez has better upside then Arrieta. Arrieta has the age factor but Hernandez I believe has better stuff,IMO.

Not that Tony, Scott and John didn't do their homework, just that i am sure it was close for a lot of these guys.

We did go back and forth on a bunch of guys, especially in the 11-20 ranking. The top 10 was more or less settled in terms of who would be in there, but there were some back-and-forth in where a couple of guys would go, but on most of the others we agreed on their order. Not all, but most.

I went with DHernandez.

I must say it is incredulous that it appears Snyder might not make this list.

Maybe our minor league system isn't as bad as we think. I agree this Top 10 was pretty difficult to assemble. Also you don't even have Hoey in the Top 10. . .

The OH staff must have really seriously debated this one. They probably surprised themselves with their placement. And eventually they'll be happy to decide the placement was as low as it originally looked to them.

My vote for your pick for the #8 O's prospect is Garrett Olson.

Here's some nice stats to chew over:

Despite the disappointing Major League start, lefties slugged just .348 against him in 21 major league ab's. (sample size makes it almost meaningless, though.)

In Norfolk in '07, lefties hit .187/.248/.290/.538 (2 HR's; 107 ab's)

In Frederick & Bowie in '06, lefties hit: .236/.284/.252/.536 (0 HR's; approx 138 ab's)

Bascom & Moore miss the Top 10. I'm also big on Hernandez; I see him as a bullpen workhorse, racking up all those k's with a delivery that's better on the shoulder than most pitchers'. But I've yet to hear anyone outside of these threads rank him #1-8. He was inconsistent. It could be Reimold. But all things being arbitrary, it's natural to put him in the middle (#4-6) of all these pitchers. So it has to be Olson. Wow. Nice.

I thought Hernandez should of been #9, so I'll go with him at #8 though I could see Moore...in fact, I forgot about including Moore on the prospect list. League average regular is his upside, but league-average players are still hard to come by. In fact, based on age and how close he is to the majors, I would say Moore is the best choice.

I think I actually need to make my own list and then use that to draw on cause its hard guessing these guys one at a time.

Completely forgot about Scott Moore.

With that, I'd have to go with Moore at #8. I think both Olson and Reimold rank higher than the #8 spot, I don't think Bascom has done enough (yet) to prove he belongs in the top 10 and I'm getting the feeling Hernandez may get squeezed out of the top 10.

With Arrieta not being #9 or #10, I'd think he all but falls out of the top 10. I can't imagine him being any higher considering he has no pro ball experience (outside of his current AFL IP). Also, I've gotten the impression from Tony's posts that they begrudingly included him in the prospect list because of all the hype and scouting reports on him. I just can't see Tony/John/et. al. ranking him high up in the top 10 when none of them (I'm assuming) have even seen him

I don't see how either Olson or Reimold could be this low on the list. All Olson has done is succeed at every level of the minors, including AAA, and if his brief performance in Baltimore was kind of disappointing its lcear he has a future there. Reimold played very well when he wasn't injured so I don't see how he could drop significantly from last year's list.

To me it could be anyone of the other three. I don't see any of them going any higher than no. 8. I will guess Bascom but won't be surprised if I'm wrong.

I don't see how either Olson or Reimold could be this low on the list. All Olson has done is succeed at every level of the minors, including AAA, and if his brief performance in Baltimore was kind of disappointing its lcear he has a future there. Reimold played very well when he wasn't injured so I don't see how he could drop significantly from last year's list.

To me it could be anyone of the other three. I don't see any of them going any higher than no. 8. I will guess Bascom but won't be surprised if I'm wrong.

1) Wieters

2) Rowell

3) Liz

4) Olson

I think these four are definitely ahead of Reimold. I am guessing Spoone will be ahead of him as well because the O's seem so high on him. I guess I would have thought that Reimold would be ahead of Erbe after last year, but Erbe's upside is incredible. I think a case could be made that Hoey also deserves to be ahead of Reimold considering Hoey's AAA dominance.

Archived