Predict the Top Four Selections of the 2011 MLB Draft

And a couple of nice articles about Bundy....who was today named Gatorade National High School Player of the Year (of course, we have one of those already in Matt Hobgood)...but the article gives some nice background information

http://www.cbs8.com/story/14827472/gatorade-national-baseball-player-of-the-year-dylan-bundy

And this was another nice article about Bundy's background, work ethic, high school performance....etc.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2011/05/11/dylan-bundy-hits-100-at-18/

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just curious what the ceilings are for Bundy and Hultzen? Is it fair to say Bundy's might be higher but Hultzen is more likely to reach his?

Yes. Bundy has upside of a #1, but higher likelihood of flameout. Hultzen is very safe bet to be ML starter and good bet to be a #3 with outside shot at #2.

I do not feel that the lose of a reliever deserves the chance at a first round talent as well. I think the whole system is crap. If you lose a great player it is because you are not a place they are interested in playing or they are offered more money from someone else. Why should a team be rewarded for losing a player?

You can argue that losing Crawford and the salary he warrented while gaining two first round talents was easily a win for the Rays. They are team that needs to keep their salary down in order to compete and the current system works great for them.

I would be happy with Hultzen at 4 considering that he is yet another guy who was in the mix to go #1 overall. For some reason I do not think the top 5 play out like we think. I think Bauer and Starling will be in the top 5. Here is my guess:

1. Hultzen

2. Starling

3. Cole

4. Rendon

5. Bauer

I would be happy with Hultzen at 4 considering that he is yet another guy who was in the mix to go #1 overall. For some reason I do not think the top 5 play out like we think. I think Bauer and Starling will be in the top 5. Here is my guess:

1. Hultzen

2. Starling

3. Cole

4. Rendon

5. Bauer

I don't see Bauer with KAN, but the rest could definitely happen.

With four days to go, it seems an appropriate time-frame to post a Predictions thread. This year sure seems more unsettled than most.

You can edit your choices as late as Sunday evening at Midnight. Seems fair. :)

Okay... ante up folks!

Here's my first shot at it...

1. Pittsburgh = Gerrit Cole

2. Seattle = Anthony Rendon

3. Arizona = Danny Hultzen

4. Baltimore = Dylan Bundy

As much as I'd love to see either Rendon or Cole slide to us, I think this will be the way it plays out.

I just can't see any situation where Rendon gets past SEA. Why on earth would pass on a premium college bat for a high school hitter (Starling or Lindor). I guess I can see taking Cole ahead, but even if that happens. Do you really think ARI going to pass too. Trying to put myself in their shoes and I can't see it.

Chances that Starling or Lindor go in the top 2? 10%? That is the only way Rendon slips to 4.

I would love for Rendon to be an O, but icant do it unless I am wearing orange colored glasses.

Can someone please explain to me why a MLB team would have to stay quiet about who they intended to pick? It is not like a team can jump them via trade. Why not just come out and say that I like so and so?

I'm assuming each organization has there own interviews with the player and there own doctor reports. Some of the infomation may be key in whether or not they want to draft a player. If an organization goes out and says they want a player another organization drafting before them may feel more confident in there interview or doctor reports. Of course this could turn into a game of chicken or even a bluff. Either way it is probably best to stay quiet and let the draft unfold itself.

Official prediction:

1. Cole

2. Rendon

3. Hultzen

4. Bundy

I'd be shocked if the O's don't take Bundy. Joe Jordan is probably on a first name basis with his parents, his brother is doing well in our system which, you could assume would bode well for Dylan since they are brothers and probably train similarly, in addition the family should be pleased about the Orioles and the organization handling Bobby. Also being a consensus top five pick, it makes a lot of sense to me.

Archived