Bundy or Rendon?

Who should the Orioles have drafted  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Orioles have drafted

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Phils got the #1 HS arm and he has done well. TX got Teixera who was hurt his junior season. Floyd has had a good career but Teixera is something special. I think it is a big mistake not taking Rendon.:eektf:

I agree that it is a mistake to pass on Rendon and I like how you compared the 2 situations.

I do think Bundy is a better prospect than Floyd was though.

Rendon should have been the pick. I agree with Stoner. The medical report would have to show some long term debilitating corrosive ectoplasm or something of that ilk for me to go away from a bat that's compared to Longoria...

That said, I'm not overly disappointed with Bundy. From the little bit I've seen, he's got the highest upside for a pitcher of a deep pitching draft.

Regarding a 'shift in philosophy' - AM has always said grow the arms and buy the bats... I'll be interested to see how aggressive the O's are with overslotting guys later in the draft. That would show a real committment to the farm system and a shift in philosophy back to the 'Oriole Way'.

Considering that Bundy would likely be #1 overall in a few years if he went to college, I'm very excited to have him. Can't argue too much with the pick.

However, I'm slightly disappointed they didn't pick Rendon. I understand that you can never have too much pitching and I respect that they went for who they felt was the best talent. But in my opinion Rendon would be slightly more important for this organization in the future than Bundy.

Hopefully they both have great careers.

Considering that Bundy would likely be #1 overall in a few years if he went to college, I'm very excited to have him. Can't argue too much with the pick.

However, I'm slightly disappointed they didn't pick Rendon. I understand that you can never have too much pitching and I respect that they went for who they felt was the best talent. But in my opinion Rendon would be slightly more important for this organization in the future than Bundy.

Hopefully they both have great careers.

Maybe picking Bundy allows us to flip Guthrie for a SP & Position prospect?

Washington took him specifically for the bat. It's a shame, because the glove could be special, too. We'll see what shakes out if/when he signs. I heard from someone (not in washington organization) that there is a good chance he will not be on the left side of the infield.

Tough to say without being privvy to the medicals. If there was no structure damange and no serious concern with the shoulder going forward, I pick Rendon pretty easily (even though I do love Bundy).

I'll tell you what, if Seattle or Arizona had taken Bundy instead of Hultzen/Bauer, I think Rendon would be a pending Oriole right now.

Also spoke to area scout whose team did not pick until after pick 20 who said "we are not even looking at Rendon -- no chance he makes it to us." So I guess there are just split opinions on the medicals, OR the asking price is still very very high and teams wanted a discount.

Also spoke to area scout whose team did not pick until after pick 20 who said "we are not even looking at Rendon -- no chance he makes it to us." So I guess there are just split opinions on the medicals, OR the asking price is still very very high and teams wanted a discount.

I don't think there was any new revelation with the medicals, I think SEA and ARI just went in different directions. ARI was dead set on Bauer for a minute, BAL wanted Bundy, and SEA pulled a wild card. KC and Starling was a great match, and no one else passed.

I don't think there was any new revelation with the medicals, I think SEA and ARI just went in different directions. ARI was dead set on Bauer for a minute, BAL wanted Bundy, and SEA pulled a wild card. KC and Starling was a great match, and no one else passed.

On the ESPN chat it was said that teams are reacting very differently to Rendon's medicals. So basically some teams felt they were a big enough deal to be a real concern while others didn't think it was much of one.

On the ESPN chat it was said that teams are reacting very differently to Rendon's medicals. So basically some teams felt they were a big enough deal to be a real concern while others didn't think it was much of one.

Maybe. It's a tidy narrative. But who passed, exactly? Only SEA in my opinion. Arizona was dead set on Bauer, Baltimore was dead set on Bundy (if available), and Starling to KC was just too good a match. Obviously the shoulder was a bigger concern for some clubs than others, but I don't think at this point that the medicals showed anything specific to be concerned about long-term. If they had, I think he would have fallen much further.

Archived