Bundy or Rendon?

Who should the Orioles have drafted  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Orioles have drafted

Maybe. It's a tidy narrative. But who passed, exactly? Only SEA in my opinion. Arizona was dead set on Bauer, Baltimore was dead set on Bundy (if available), and Starling to KC was just too good a match. Obviously the shoulder was a bigger concern for some clubs than others, but I don't think at this point that the medicals showed anything specific to be concerned about long-term. If they had, I think he would have fallen much further.

What I said does not concern who passed. I agree that only 1 team really passed on him that would have likely picked him if health was not an issue. However, based on the statement from one of the ESPN guys, it can be assumed that some teams regardless of draft position or initial interest in Rendon felt that the medicals did show something to be concerned about. As far as your last line, well the very different reactions to the medicals would mean that some teams wouldn't drop him much if at all on their boards while others would drop him considerably. So that doesn't suggest that he should have fallen much further.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I said does not concern who passed. I agree that only 1 team really passed on him that would have likely picked him if health was not an issue. However, based on the statement from one of the ESPN guys, it can be assumed that some teams regardless of draft position or initial interest in Rendon felt that the medicals did show something to be concerned about. As far as your last line, well the very different reactions to the medicals would mean that some teams wouldn't drop him much if at all on their boards while others would drop him considerably. So that doesn't suggest that he should have fallen much further.

Fair enough.

I don't think there was any new revelation with the medicals, I think SEA and ARI just went in different directions. ARI was dead set on Bauer for a minute, BAL wanted Bundy, and SEA pulled a wild card. KC and Starling was a great match, and no one else passed.

Eh, it's pretty significant that a team would say "He's not going to be a left side player." I think there is truth to there being potential concerns.

With this much elite talent available it would have been too risky, IMO, to take a player who has been injured for this long. Maybe it's nothing, maybe it is, but why take the chance it's an injury that will sap his power. It has lingered too long for me to consider it irrelevant.

Since I'm not privy to the medical concerns, I voted Rendon. He was my #1 player, with Cole #2 and Bundy #3. All were guys I really wanted, so I'm not disappointed.

I have comfort in knowing that the O's really know that family and love their character. You never know if something will work out, but this is the highest upside pitcher I can remember on the Orioles since Ben McDonald or maybe Mike Mussina (who exceeded expectations, IMO).

I really think we've got to overhaul the positional talent in our Farm System but any chance you get a dedicated, hard working, talented, young pitcher, you take it. If things go right, this is the sort of young man that will have a long career. You don't find prospects that put in the effort needed on and off the field day in and day out. If hes not rushed and we develop him right Bundy could be special.

A lot of people are saying that Rendon is the risky pick, but SO IS BUNDY. What is the success rate on high school pitchers again? I'm not at all happy that a team with very little offensive talent in its minor league system has drafted a high school pitcher in two of the last three seasons.

A lot of people are saying that Rendon is the risky pick, but SO IS BUNDY. What is the success rate on high school pitchers again? I'm not at all happy that a team with very little offensive talent in its minor league system has drafted a high school pitcher in two of the last three seasons.

Well this isn't just a HS flamethrower. This kid has the pedigree, the training, and the work ethic to make it. Unless he takes his paycheck and calls it a day and quits all of that, which is highly unlikely IMO, we have picked up a quality player.

I agree with KLaw here, and ask why would you move a guy (Rendon) who has already suffered leg injuries to the most injury-prone position on the infield (non-catcher category)?

I think they're putting the cart before the horse a bit. When you have the #1/2 player in the draft fall into your laps at #6, you take him and figure out the rest later. If he doesn't fit, one year from now they could trade him as a centerpiece for a great player.

Bottom line, Rendon had more value than anyone else at that pick, by far, and for that reason it was smart to pick him. I'd wager that reports he can't throw moving forward are pre-mature, at best.

I think they're putting the cart before the horse a bit. When you have the #1/2 player in the draft fall into your laps at #6, you take him and figure out the rest later. If he doesn't fit, one year from now they could trade him as a centerpiece for a great player.

Bottom line, Rendon had more value than anyone else at that pick, by far, and for that reason it was smart to pick him. I'd wager that reports he can't throw moving forward are pre-mature, at best.

Right...Not drafting him would have been idiotic.

Well this isn't just a HS flamethrower. This kid has the pedigree, the training, and the work ethic to make it. Unless he takes his paycheck and calls it a day and quits all of that, which is highly unlikely IMO, we have picked up a quality player.

I hope you are right, I really do. My gut tells me this story has been told before though. HS arms have a poor history, especially first rounders.

I'm hearing today that concern for at least one team above us was that his shoulder is going to force him to move off 3rd. He's not fast enough to play the OF well, and at 2B there is concern if his ankles will hold up. Lots of questions that he was going to have to DH, and SEA ownership wanted a fast rising college pitcher.

I'm hearing today that concern for at least one team above us was that his shoulder is going to force him to move off 3rd. He's not fast enough to play the OF well, and at 2B there is concern if his ankles will hold up. Lots of questions that he was going to have to DH, and SEA ownership wanted a fast rising college pitcher.

Maybe they'll trade Felix to Washington next year for Rendon +?

/halfkidding

Archived