What Oriole am I

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish we had 8 other guys who were as good as he is. But go ahead and keep ignoring the fact that he's an all-star, a Gold Glove candidate and one of the better offensive players at his position in MLB. I will live with a few ground outs to 2B.

I wish we had 8 other guys who were as good as he was supposed to be.

The all-star and gold glove comments are laughable as well. You seem so set in your ways comparing him to the 29 other starting catchers in baseball instead of comparing him to the players he was SUPPOSED to be like (Piazza, Bench, etc). And no, that isn't reactionary, go back and read the stuff written about him and his minor league numbers. He hasn't come close to those expectations and has instead become an upper echelon player at a traditionally crappy position. Sorry, a good August won't win me over. Do it over the course of a season. Get that OPS over .900 (at this point I'd settle for freaking .800). Hit the ball with authority all year round. Hit 30 HR, drive in 100 runners. Be the guy you were supposed to be instead of just a "very good catcher."

Maybe that's good enough for you, but it's not good enough for me.

Quick...name 4 Orioles with higher OPS's this year.

Quick, tell me how this is relevant at all to this discussion.

Great he has the 3rd best OPS on a team that might lose 100 games. Whoopie.

Again, totally missing the point. He should be leading this team in OPS. He should be leading this team in all major offensive categories other than steals and runs. And he's not.

Are you actually prepared to argue that David Segui is a bigger bust than Matt Wieters? This should be fun to read.
You do know that at the time he was signed, it was the biggest in Orioles' history, after Belle. For years, the unwritten rule was no one gets paid more than Ripken.

Tell me we wouldn't have been far better off keeping the players that went in the Glenn Davis trade.

Your all-encompassing list of "factors?" We're waiting.

Since I was a bit yougn when Segui was a "prospect" and went ahead and discovered that he was an 18th round selection in 1987. Oh yea, a former 18th round selection is a bigger bust than a guy who, by many accounts, had the greatest minor league season in HISTORY and was on the cover of Sports Illustrated, etc etc

C'mon.

Quick, tell me how this is relevant at all to this discussion.

Great he has the 3rd best OPS on a team that might lose 100 games. Whoopie.

Again, totally missing the point. He should be leading this team in OPS. He should be leading this team in all major offensive categories other than steals and runs. And he's not.

It's his 2nd full season in the majors! Are you kidding us with this?

Just because he was overhyped does not make him a bust. The expectations for him were ridiculous and unrealistic.

Since I was a bit yougn when Segui was a "prospect" and went ahead and discovered that he was an 18th round selection in 1987. Oh yea, a former 18th round selection is a bigger bust than a guy who, by many accounts, had the greatest minor league season in HISTORY and was on the cover of Sports Illustrated, etc etc

C'mon.

Bill Ripken made the cover of SI also. That sure means a lot.

You do know that at the time he was signed, it was the biggest in Orioles' history, after Belle. For years, the unwritten rule was no one gets paid more than Ripken.

Tell me we wouldn't have been far better off keeping the players that went in the Glenn Davis trade.

Your all-encompassing list of "factors?" We're waiting.

So what??? Unless you can say with a straight face that the hype and promise surrounding David Segui matched that of Matt Wieters then this isn't really a sound argument.

As for Glenn Davis, yes it was an awful trade, but I think I am defining "bust" differently than that. Plus who knows what would have happened with Schilling, Finley, etc if we had kept them.

Archived