Are you considering voting with your feet?

Frobby

Q:Where is the stubhub guy getting his ticket from? A:Angelos.

Frobby and I are arguing about what is in control of one person going to a game. We're not arguing about Angelos getting $0 in revenue from tickets. We're talking about minimizing that ticket revenue.

Does Angelos get more, the same, or less money if I buy a ticket on Stubhub vs. purchasing one at the gate?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was easily the least amount of games I've been to since I can remember. I used to go to 20-30 games at OPACY every year. Even when I was at Maryland, I would make the drive up. When I lived in Buffalo I went to a ton of games in the summers. Now I live closer to OPACY than I ever have before, and tickets are easier and cheaper to come by, but I just don't have the desire.

The one group I feel bad for is the players. They go out there and give their all and most of them can't really help that they're playing for the worst human being on the planet and they could use our support. It has to be frustrating to go to games on the road at Fenway and Yankee Stadium and see packed houses full of energy and then come home to an empty stadium.

FRobby, if I were you I would not give your seats up. I'd imagine you get them at a discount under face because you have a ticket plan? Those seats are just too good to give up IMO.

Yes, Pete has only made one sale, and that's what counts toward paid attendance. If you get the ticket from stubhub, or ticketmaster, or your generous brother-in-law, Pete got paid. How is he hurt? At the game, there's only one ass per seat ticket. (double entendre intentional)

Now I could argue that buying from Stubhub actually helps Angelos? Why? Without this outlet to resell tickets, people may think twice about making the original purchase. Therefore, they buy the tickets from Angelos and take on the assumption of risk that someone will want them if they don't.

Your first point assumes that every game is a sellout and that Angelos doesn't lose any ticket revenue from someone electing not to purchase from an Orioles ticket outlet.

Your second point is right on the mark because a lot of revenue is generated by beer and concession sales at the park. More people in the park means more revenue. However, I don't buy anything at the park, so crisis averted. ;)

Frobby and I are arguing about what is in control of one person going to a game. We're not arguing about Angelos getting $0 in revenue from tickets. We're talking about minimizing that ticket revenue.

Does Angelos get more, the same, or less money if I buy a ticket on Stubhub vs. purchasing one at the gate?

How are you "minimizing ticket revenue" when the ticket has already been sold at least once?
Your first point assumes that every game is a sellout and that Angelos doesn't lose any ticket revenue from someone electing not to purchase from an Orioles ticket outlet.
I thought we are talking about paid attendance. Once the ticket is sold the first time, it's paid attendance. Period. Stubhub is resale of a paid ticket.

I agree with this. I liked MacPhail until some of his decisions over the past two years on the developmental side of things. I think that he has rushed our top prospects through the minor leagues to get them to Baltimore. I think the organization is better now then where it was when he arrived, but I don't think the Orioles could have won with him as GM.

In general I don't think the prospects were rushed. It just takes about three years in the majors for young players to mature IMO. Some of these guys are getting there.

Again, how does this matter? If the stubhub guy couldn't have resold his ticket there, he might not have bought it at all.

He bought the ticket not knowing if he could resell it or not. I'm sure he would have still bought it. Most of the time it's a guy who has a ticket plan that can't make it one game. He would have still bought the plan.

He bought the ticket not knowing if he could resell it or not. I'm sure he would have still bought it. Most of the time it's a guy who has a ticket plan that can't make it one game. He would have still bought the plan.
Not necessarily. I have a friend who buys Maryland season basketball tickets. He can afford to do so because, based on demand, he can resell tickets to the Duke game for what he paid for the entire rest of the season.

Not necessarily. I have a friend who buys Maryland season basketball tickets. He can afford to do so because, based on demand, he can resell tickets to the Duke game for what he paid for the entire rest of the season.

Most people that buy season tickets to the O's don't do it because they can resell them for hundreds of dollards lol.

Except to Yankees and Red Sox fans LOL

I don't think that selling those tickets make up for what you spent for the season tickets. I went to a couple Yankees/Red Sox games last year and it was not nearly as packed as it has been in the past.

Archived