Nick Delmonico #4 prospect

Tony-OH

I think Delmonico's development in 2012 just became one of the most critical elements to evaluating the strength our system, based on Tony's review. If he proves next year that he remains a high-ceiling prospect, suddenly we've got 4 very good prospects at the top (plus whoever we draft at no. 4 overall in 2012). Right now I see him as a huge question mark, who could stay at no. 4 next season or be way out of the top 10. One of the biggest stories to watch in 2012 down on the farm.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kevin Goldstein backs up Tony's high placement of Delmonico, ranking Nicky 4th in the system at the top of the three-star prospect tier.

Always good to read KG's take. I've always liked him. Not sure why he identified a "steep drop" after Bundy and Machado - it seems to underrate Schoop a bit. But, hey, what are you gonna do?

Always good to read KG's take. I've always liked him. Not sure why he identified a "steep drop" after Bundy and Machado - it seems to underrate Schoop a bit. But, hey, what are you gonna do?

I agree. It may be the difference between an A-/B+ grade, but I think the drastic drop-off on this list is clearly after Schoop. I mean, the number four prospect is a 19 year-old sixth round overslot who had a bad back and bad year as a senior and hasn't played a pro game.

I agree. It may be the difference between an A-/B+ grade, but I think the drastic drop-off on this list is clearly after Schoop. I mean, the number four prospect is a 19 year-old sixth round overslot who had a bad back and bad year as a senior and hasn't played a pro game.

The run-down is a little rough-around-the-edges. I mean, he says that Schoop, "like Machado, just isn't enough of an athlete to stick at shortstop" (or something very close to that) but then seems to concede that the odds of Machado sticking at short are at least near 50%. That said, glad to see a glimpse of Bundy's curve come up. I get that it's been very inconsistent, and it's worth noting a lack of refinement/development, but at least it seems someone's seen it flash above-average-to-plus. That's what I expected coming out of HS.

KG has gotten a bit elitist the last couple of years, and I think has done less in depth research than he used to. The past 2 years I think he's gotten the guys that get national press, but he's not very good at getting the guys with good potential a layer below that. Tells me his sources are national guys that don't really follow the O's.

I don't know if it's like that for every org. but I've really noticed it here.

The run-down is a little rough-around-the-edges. I mean, he says that Schoop, "like Machado, just isn't enough of an athlete to stick at shortstop" (or something very close to that) but then seems to concede that the odds of Machado sticking at short are at least near 50%. That said, glad to see a glimpse of Bundy's curve come up. I get that it's been very inconsistent, and it's worth noting a lack of refinement/development, but at least it seems someone's seen it flash above-average-to-plus. That's what I expected coming out of HS.

Are we talking Bobby's curve? I've seen it flash plus plenty. It's just inconsistent. It's a shame if anybody is putting too much weight on his Bowie stint. His arm was spent. Everything was up and his offspeed stuff had no depth. He should have been shut down/limited about a month previously.

Are we talking Bobby's curve? I've seen it flash plus plenty. It's just inconsistent. It's a shame if anybody is putting too much weight on his Bowie stint. His arm was spent. Everything was up and his offspeed stuff had no depth. He should have been shut down/limited about a month previously.

Yeah. This was dispiriting:

Both his curveball and slider are below average offerings with neither showing any kind of consistency. His command can be spotty at times, and some scouts question his ability to throw quality strikes.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/article/3397/bobby-bundy-11-prospect

My prior understanding was that Bundy's curve was solid-average, if inconsistent, but buoyed by the fact that it flashed plus.

Yeah. This was dispiriting:

http://www.orioleshangout.com/article/3397/bobby-bundy-11-prospect

My prior understanding was that Bundy's curve was solid-average, if inconsistent, but buoyed by the fact that it flashed plus.

Oh, man. I hadn't gotten around to reading that piece. All due respect to Tony and the scouts with whom he has spoken (I mean that sincerely), but I just can't agree. Over the handful of Bundy starts I've seen, his change-up was the shaky pitch (though it did improve drastically this year). He got Ks primarily with the slider/FB combo. Occasionally he let it hang and it would get hit, but when it was on it was a plus pitch.

In the last month of the season he was a different pitcher and all of his pitches looked like doo-doo, though. I hope there wasn't too much emphasis placed on those starts.

It's a shame if you think I am.

At the time I made that post I had no idea LJ was referring to your piece. He referenced it in reply to the post of mine that you quoted.

I know that you are much more thorough than that. I hope you know I meant no disrespect with those posts.

I think I saw you mention elsewhere that you saw a "Fiorentino situation" coming, which I assume refers to Bundy. Differences of opinion happen. Unfortunately seeing it in your report leads me to believe that members of the organization also don't see Bundy as a top 10 talent, which is disappointing to me. Oh well.

Back to the topic of the thread, I'm heartened by the fact that KG shares Tony's assessment that Delmonico is #4. The more consensus there is, the better the chances that there's actually a good player there. I think John Sickels' Orioles list is due out in the next week or so and I'll be interested in where he has Delmonico. BA's list comes out on December 19.

At the time I made that post I had no idea LJ was referring to your piece. He referenced it in reply to the post of mine that you quoted.

I know that you are much more thorough than that. I hope you know I meant no disrespect with those posts.

I think I saw you mention elsewhere that you saw a "Fiorentino situation" coming, which I assume refers to Bundy. Differences of opinion happen. Unfortunately seeing it in your report leads me to believe that members of the organization also don't see Bundy as a top 10 talent, which is disappointing to me. Oh well.

I didn't know what (analysis) was referring to what (level), and hope that folks didn't think I was implying anything regarding anyone's opinion. I'm hopeful that Bundy's secondaries come around, was (legitimately) disheartened that reports were as bad as they were, and am somewhat more hopeful if someone's seen something a bit better. I assumed that the downgrade wasn't limited to Bowie because that's not generally how the reports on here work.

That doesn't outweigh anything, nor is it meant as a critique of any other existing opinion. I want him to be better than he may be. It's the plight of the Orioles fan.

Here are Goldstein's comments on Delmonico for non-subscribers:

4. Nick Delmonico, 3B

DOB: 7/12/1992

Height/Weight: 6’2/196

Bats/Throws: L/R

Drafted/Signed: 6th round, 2011, Farragut HS (TN)

2011 Stats: N/A

Tools Profile: Classic hot corner profile with size and strength.

Year in Review: Seen as a tough, if not nearly impossible sign out of high school, the Orioles surprised many by signing Delmonico to a $1.525 million deal at the deadline.

The Good: Delmonico certainly looks the part. He has size and plenty of associated power, showcasing easy plus power in high school. His arm is excellent, leading some to consider trying him as a catcher. He comes from a baseball family, with his father a legendary college coach, and comes into the game with outstanding makeup and baseball intelligence.

The Bad: Delmonico did not live up to expectations this spring, as his swing got long and he got extremely power-conscious. He's not especially athletic and can look stiff and mechanical at third base, although he should develop into an average defender with repetition.

Ephemera: Located just outside of Knoxville, Farragut High has produced more NFL players than those in Major League Baseball, as well as former World Series of Poker champion Chris Moneymaker.

Perfect World Projection: First-division third baseman, but he comes with considerable risk.

Fantasy Impact: Most valuable for his power but should provide some average as well.

Path to the Big Leagues: The Orioles would like Delmonico to earn a full-season job this spring, as he was 19 when drafted and thus a bit behind the standard age curve.

ETA: 2015

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=15526

(BP's subscription rate is very modest and highly recommended)

Some good tidbits in Goldstein's review of Delmonico. I hadn't realized his dad was a coach, and I also didn't know he was 19 years old already. I'm on board on trying him at Delmarva right away. He can always be bumped to Aberdeen in June if he struggles.

Archived