Joey Votto available?

My O's Face

But, but, deals like Votto for Machado, Schoop, Matusz, and Bridwell only come around once in a lifetime... :rolleyes:

Really Dude...Angelos has been hoarding money since his change of philosophy back in 1998. Then he created MASN that is turning a profit that is benefiting the Nationals on field product more than the Orioles.

The Orioles could afford to add a guy like Fielder and add starting pitching at the same time. I agree that with posters on here that the Orioles cant afford to miss. The difference in Wins between Fielder and whatever scab that has played 1B the last 4-5 years would be more than a couple of wins per season.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really Dude...Angelos has been hoarding money since his change of philosophy back in 1998. Then he created MASN that is turning a profit that is benefiting the Nationals on field product more than the Orioles.

The Orioles could afford to add a guy like Fielder and add starting pitching at the same time. I agree that with posters on here that the Orioles cant afford to miss. The difference in Wins between Fielder and whatever scab that has played 1B the last 4-5 years would be more than a couple of wins per season.

I don't know how this has anything to do with what I said.

My only point in this entire thread is that you don't trade elite farm talent for guys like Votto. It's hard to argue you should ever do it, even harder to argue when you're in the position the O's are in.

We don't have a Bedard to trade to get one of those guys now that's the point.

You won't get one of those guys for anybody we have to trade unless you want to deal Wieters.

The Orioles don't have chips to trade for blue chip prospects other than Wieters nor do they have enough in the farm system to supplement the team.

Their options are draining the farm or spending money, that's it. Otherwise, it's likely 4-5 more years of losing.

No but you do have Jones...You do have a guy like JJ who likely has a lot of value.

And you never answered me(surprise surprise)...Is the ONLY way we can contend is if we have a premium first baseman?

No but you do have Jones...You do have a guy like JJ who likely has a lot of value.

And you never answered me(surprise surprise)...Is the ONLY way we can contend is if we have a premium first baseman?

I'm for the sign Kotchman for 1b and upgrade the SP.

There's no way any of those players are traded for what we have.

Teams value their young MLers like gold. Alonso will not be traded when Votto is so close to FA.

Belt is the future of 1B for the Giants. Ditto for Morse unless they get Fielder and then they'll probably just move him to LF as he is better than Jones.

Unless you have a premium player to trade, you won't get a blue chip position prospect.

He is 2 years away...they won 91 games in 2010 and they are in a division where the 2 of the best players in the division, Fielder and Pujols, could be gone. They can make the playoffs and win it all between now and then.

Alonso isn't working anywhere else on the field...He is a trade chip for them right now.

We would be giving up blue chippers for an established premium player. And as I said, that happens all the time.

But we don't have anybody like Votto to trade unless you want to deal Wieters.

...aaaaannnndddd you're talking in circles because you're losing the argument.

Again, like a bunch of us are trying to tell you. In order to really make progress, you get that "premium" player you want BEFORE they really break out so that it doesn't cost you your own blue chip prospect. You keep wanting to buy at max value and sell before max value which just makes us go backwards organizationally.

We are trying to build to become a winning team, you don't see teams that aren't already contending trade blue chippers for premium players because they need MORE talent not less. Trading for premium players at max value requires trading AWAY more talent than you are bringing in. Contending teams can do that, rebuilding teams can not.

• 4 months later...
Bump.

Votto is on the verge of a $200+ million contract extension with the Reds. Well, at least we won't have to worry about him going to TOR in a few years!

Thank goodness. At least I don't have to worry myself now about some dreamers on here thinking we would have a shot at him if he were a free agent

Archived