Syracuse Assistant Bernie Fine target of police inquiry

Birds of B'more

Another molestation case in college sports.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/7248184/syracuse-police-investigating-bernie-fine-molesting-boy-1980s

Syracuse police say they are investigating an allegation that Syracuse University assistant basketball coach Bernie Fine molested a team ball boy for more than a dozen years beginning in the mid-1980s.

Police stressed to Outside The Lines they are in the early stages of the investigation.

The alleged victim, Bobby Davis, now 39, told Outside the Lines that Fine molested him beginning in 1983 shortly before Davis entered the seventh grade. Davis, the team's ball boy for six years beginning in 1984, said the abuse occurred at Fine's home, at the Syracuse basketball facilities, and on road trips, including the 1987 Final Four.

In addition, a second man -- a relative of Davis -- told OTL that he was also molested by Fine around the same time as the first boy.

Fine is now in his 35th season as an assistant to head coach Jim Boeheim.

Davis said he never told Boeheim about the alleged abuse.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disgusting.

I hope Boeheim would have reacted better than Paterno did had anyone told him at the time.

He said that Boeheim knew he was traveling on the road and sleeping in Fine's room.

"Boeheim saw me with Bernie all the time in the hotel rooms, on road trips," Davis said. "He'd come in, and see me laying in the bed, kind of glance at me like, 'What are you doing here?' But he wouldn't say that. He'd just scowl. And I would look at him like, I'd be nervous. I felt embarrassed 'cause I felt stupid that I'm there. I'm not supposed to be here. I know it, and Boeheim's not stupid."

As a Syracuse fan, if this is true, Boeheim needs to be fired just like Joe Pa was.

Boeheim is adamantly denying the accusations, going so far as to say the accusers are trying to extort money after seeing what's happened at Penn St. If he's wrong or lying, Boeheim will go down even harder than Paterno did. And if Boeheim is correct, then what a horrible thing to falsely accuse someone of.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/18/sports/ncaabasketball/syracuse-assistant-is-accused-of-sexual-abuse.html?_r=1&ref=sports

You really have to be careful with stories like these, particularly coming off of the heels of the PSU situation. Not saying they are or aren't lying, but it sure seems like a convenient time to take a shot for something like this.

Frankly I'm surprised stuff like this doesn't happen more often. I had a class in HS where a girl didn't like the teacher. She accuesed him of sexually assaulting her, which everyone knew was a crock. But the teacher had to take like a month off (with pay, so really just a nice little vacation :)) but still, it was ridiculous.

I'd like to believe Boeheim, but I just don't know over these last couple of weeks. I wouldn't be surprised by anything that comes out of this, good or bad.

The way Boeheim is putting himself out there right now he is either completely ignorant and clueless, or he knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that the accusations are bogus. Like I said, he's either gonna go down even harder than Paterno, or he's gonna get to give us all a big "I told you so."

I really have no opinion and probably never will. it's probably going to end up being a "he said, he said" situation, and it will never be clear who is telling the truth. Boeheim's reputation is unfortunately going to get trashed by some people because of this even though there will never be any evidence to support the claims. I hope for all involved that this didn't happen, though.

I watched some of the interview with the accuser the other night. I'm not sure what to make. On the one hand, I wouldn't doubt that he's lying. He seemed anxious in front of the camera, and his eyes were shifting all over the place, and he couldn't look directly into the camera. That didn't paint a good picture and struck me as a guy who was trying to prop a story up for as long as possible. Then, when talking about his own kids, he broke down. That kind of shifted my thoughts a little, but I'm still leaning towards the side that the guy is either making the story up, or what is being said doesn't match-up with what actually may have happened.

Archived