Syracuse Assistant Bernie Fine target of police inquiry

Birds of B'more

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now Bernie Fine's wife is coming forward as a witness.

And Jim Boeheim came out and said the accusers were "liars looking for attention and money". I think Jim Boeheim owes some sincere apologies. If it were my university, I'd fire Boeheim immediately.

Ask and ye shall receive, per ESPN.com:

"The allegations that have come forth today are disturbing and deeply troubling," Boeheim said in a statement released by the school. "I am personally very shocked because I have never witnessed any of the activities that have been alleged. I believe the university took the appropriate step tonight. What is most important is that this matter be fully investigated and that anyone with information be supported to come forward so that the truth can be found. I deeply regret any statements I made that might have inhibited that from occurring or been insensitive to victims of abuse."

Thanks for the apology, Jim. Now hit the road.

I don't agree with firing a guy because he made a statement. If he truly believed in Fine, and that he allegations were false, then I see no reason for a dismissal. This is a guy that's been his friend and stuck with him for a long time. I would hope my friends would believe in me like that.

The craziest part of this is one of the victims banged Fine's wife when he was 18.

Davis also acknowledged in an interview with ESPN that he and Laurie Fine had a sexual relationship when he was 18, and that he eventually told Bernie Fine about it.

"I thought he was going to kill me, but I had to tell him," Davis said. "It didn't faze him one bit."

During the call to the woman, Davis repeatedly asks her what she knew about the alleged molestation.

"Do you think I'm the only one that he's ever done that to?" Davis asked.

"No ... I think there might have been others but it was geared to ... there was something about you," the woman on the tape said.

On the tape, she also says she knew "everything that went on."

"Bernie has issues, maybe that he's not aware of, but he has issues. ... And you trusted somebody you shouldn't have trusted ... "

During the call, Davis tells her he asked her husband in the late 1990s for $5,000 to help pay off his student loans.

"When he gave you the money, what does he want for that?" she asked.

He tells her that Fine wanted to engage in sexual activity in several ways.

"... And I'd try to go away, and he'd put his arm on top of my chest. He goes, `If you want this money, you'll stay right here,"' Davis said.

"Right. Right," she said. "He just has a nasty attitude, because he didn't get his money, nor did he get what he wanted."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/11/27/syracuse.fires.bernie.fine.ap/index.html#ixzz1f1SWlcbS

Worst triangle ever.

To summarize: So there are now 3 vicitms.

1. Davis

2. Davis's step brother (who previously denied anything happened)

3. Tomaselli (who is called a liar by his father)

Davis now comes forward with a tape that he made in 2002, but has kept secret for 9 years? Davis also banged Fines wife - who stayed married to Fine and said nothing depite knowledge that he was molesting young boys. This is getting more and more confusing by the day.

I don't agree with firing a guy because he made a statement. If he truly believed in Fine, and that he allegations were false, then I see no reason for a dismissal. This is a guy that's been his friend and stuck with him for a long time. I would hope my friends would believe in me like that.

It's okay to believe in your friend and be vocal in your support. But, if it turns out you're wrong and your friend betrayed you, then you have to pay the consequences for your misplaced trust. If you're in a very public (and very political) position and you berate the victims of molestation, if you're wrong and you were unknowingly protecting a child abuser with your big mouth, then it's time to pay the piper and step down in my opinion.

It's okay to believe in your friend and be vocal in your support. But, if it turns out you're wrong and your friend betrayed you, then you have to pay the consequences for your misplaced trust. If you're in a very public (and very political) position and you berate the victims of molestation, if you're wrong and you were unknowingly protecting a child abuser with your big mouth, then it's time to pay the piper and step down in my opinion.

He could have still displayed some faith in Fine without going to the length's that he did, which has put Syracuse in a terrible position right now, IMO.

He wasn't knowingly protecting a child abuser (assuming he really didn't know more than he says he knew). He was knowingly protecting a friend he didn't know was a child abuser. There's a big difference IMO.

He wasn't knowingly protecting a child abuser (assuming he really didn't know more than he says he knew). He was knowingly protecting a friend he didn't know was a child abuser. There's a big difference IMO.

That's why I said he was unknowingly protecting a child abuser. It turns out he was wrong, and he said terrible things about the victim(s). That's bad news.

That's why I said he was unknowingly protecting a child abuser. It turns out he was wrong, and he said terrible things about the victim(s). That's bad news.

Man, I should learn how to read. My mistake.

I agree with you about what he said looking terrible now, I just don't know if it's a fireable offense. Personally, I wouldn't fire him. On the other hand, I won't be outraged if SU does.

My issue is solely with him attacking the alleged victims. If he would have said "no comment" or even "I can't imagine Barry doing something like that", I wouldn't have an issue with him. But instead he decided to play amateur defense attorney and make unfounded accusations against the accusers. That was poor judgement on his part.

Archived