On the Record: Better pitchers available that could be had for free instead of Eveland

Tony-OH

Guthrie, Hardy, Mora, Bordick, Gibbons for a short time, are a couple of names that an Orioles GM got right. I am sure I am missing some more. Pie, Atkins, etc. are examples of some they got wrong.

But we do know enough to be plenty critical when the team doesn't pony up enough to sign a free agent?

You can't have it both ways.

I actually agree with your posts. A fan can second-guess and disagree with a move all he wants.

Well Tony's 2 biggest reasons were increased velocity by Eveland, which is flat out wrong and pitch values from last year...in 29 IP and those values were way worse in the rest of his career.

So you tell me, how are those 2 things valid but stats aren't?

Who said stats weren't valid?

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, it's time for you evaluators out there to put up or shut up about the Eveland trade. I've seen things thrown around that suggest you can shake a tree and ten Eveland's fall out or that you can find a guy like Eveland anytime and that there are many available right now for free.

So here's your mission:

Put down the names of pitchers who will be better than Eveland in 2012 who are available for free right now. You can even put down pitchers you believe will be DFA'd or non-tendered before arbitration.

Here are the posters that believe they are smarter than DD and his staff on this trade: 9brady,

atomic,

blid,

bOhs01,

Brian88,

ChaosLex,

ChrisAF79,

dabirds,

Dipper9,

DoobyDoo,

Dwight Schrute,

Enjoy Terror,

Florida_Osfan,

gfrank,

glenn__davis,

JamesI,

JanJaap,

JayGibbons31,

LookinUp,

lovetoaster,

mazarelo,

MikeAD,

Mongolbird,

nevadaO,

NewMarketSean,

PaulFolk,

playbaltimorecom,

sakata_catching,

Singleton,

Sports Guy,

square634,

SteveA,

SurhoffRules,

utvolzac,

WORST OWNER

I expect that each of you will have no problems finding these pitchers so put it down on record and at the end of next year, we'll see if you or DD was right. since this was such a horrible trade and since Eveland is such "trash," this should be simple endeavor.

Let's not rehash the trade in this thread, it's just for you to go on record with your choices. You don't have to add analysis to each pitcher if you don't want to, just the names are fine. Also, if you didn't like the trade because of what we gave up, please tell us what you think the players traded will become in the major leagues.

Tony, I just made the poll and voted on it. I didn't offer my opinion one way or another. Since we're friends (at least, I think we're friends), I'm not really sure why you're calling me out. :(

Tony, I just made the poll and voted on it. I didn't offer my opinion one way or another. Since we're friends (at least, I think we're friends), I'm not really sure why you're calling me out. :(

I don't get the need for a call out either.

And I don't understand why Tony is challenging people that disagree with this trade, yet he himself didnt like the Teagarden trade once Miclat was involved. Quite the double standard.

Do a search for HO threads prior to 2010 and 2011 where the vast majority thought those teams were .500-ish teams. The horrible play the last 2 years is on the players, not the FO. The previous 12 years... ok

So you're arguing that those teams were actually good because board opinion thought so? The board might've thought they were .500 teams, but they weren't. I think you're trying to argue two mutually exclusive phenomena.

I'm not arguing that board members opinions should be given primacy, just that they shouldn't be ignored as baseless.

Ok, it's time for you evaluators out there to put up or shut up about the Eveland trade. I've seen things thrown around that suggest you can shake a tree and ten Eveland's fall out or that you can find a guy like Eveland anytime and that there are many available right now for free.

So here's your mission:

Put down the names of pitchers who will be better than Eveland in 2012 who are available for free right now. You can even put down pitchers you believe will be DFA'd or non-tendered before arbitration.

Here are the posters that believe they are smarter than DD and his staff on this trade: 9brady,

atomic,

blid,

bOhs01,

Brian88,

ChaosLex,

ChrisAF79,

dabirds,

Dipper9,

DoobyDoo,

Dwight Schrute,

Enjoy Terror,

Florida_Osfan,

gfrank,

glenn__davis,

JamesI,

JanJaap,

JayGibbons31,

LookinUp,

lovetoaster,

mazarelo,

MikeAD,

Mongolbird,

nevadaO,

NewMarketSean,

PaulFolk,

playbaltimorecom,

sakata_catching,

Singleton,

Sports Guy,

square634,

SteveA,

SurhoffRules,

utvolzac,

WORST OWNER

I expect that each of you will have no problems finding these pitchers so put it down on record and at the end of next year, we'll see if you or DD was right. since this was such a horrible trade and since Eveland is such "trash," this should be simple endeavor.

Let's not rehash the trade in this thread, it's just for you to go on record with your choices. You don't have to add analysis to each pitcher if you don't want to, just the names are fine. Also, if you didn't like the trade because of what we gave up, please tell us what you think the players traded will become in the major leagues.

Tony may be in need of a psych eval.

IMO, people need to get called out more often around here.

Perhaps. Just not over such a meaningless move. If people are going to be called out because they aren't thrilled that the biggest name we've aquired at the winter meetings is Dana Eveland - (I'll let you finish this one)

Perhaps. Just not over such a meaningless move. If people are going to be called out because they aren't thrilled that the biggest name we've aquired at the winter meetings is Dana Eveland - (I'll let you finish this one)

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't come close to reading all 30+ pages of the Eveland trade thread but I'm sure there are people in that thread making really extreme and repetitive comments and suggestions. If you're gonna go that route you should be prepared to not only back it up but be called out on it in the future. Besides, it's bigger than this particular thread. There is just way too much nonsense around here this time of year.

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't come close to reading all 30+ pages of the Eveland trade thread but I'm sure there are people in that thread making really extreme and repetitive comments and suggestions. If you're gonna go that route you should be prepared to not only back it up but be called out on it in the future. Besides, it's bigger than this particular thread. There is just way too much nonsense around here this time of year.

That is the nature of a message board. Not one of the people you reference in that thread woke up wanting to have nothing more than that to speak on. I promise you that.

The value Eveland brings is simple - he wont be flustered by being smoked at this level and we have other guys who are likely to need more work at lower levels. We have a new GM and we'll bring some guys along a bit differently. The value Eveland brings to the Orioles won't be seen in wins, but rather in protecting the young guys and giving them a chance to work on whatever our staff wants them to work on down at AAA. That's fine.

This is an exciting time for baseball fans - that's why the boards get busy this time of year. The frustration is not with that move - it's with the fact that there are no others moves to speak on. Psychology 101 - if that.

That is the nature of a message board. Not one of the people you reference in that thread woke up wanting to have nothing more than that to speak on. I promise you that.

The value Eveland brings is simple - he wont be flustered by being smoked at this level and we have other guys who are likely to need more work at lower levels. We have a new GM and we'll bring some guys along a bit differently. The value Eveland brings to the Orioles won't be seen in wins, but rather in protecting the young guys and giving them a chance to work on whatever our staff wants them to work on down at AAA. That's fine.

This is an exciting time for baseball fans - that's why the boards get busy this time of year. The frustration is not with that move - it's with the fact that there are no others moves to speak on. Psychology 101 - if that.

Ah, the value of having a terrible pitcher so that he's used to being terrible and it won't bother him. :D

Archived