On the Record: Better pitchers available that could be had for free instead of Eveland

Tony-OH

CJ Wilson and Darvish come to mind right off the bat. But I never said for free. Anyway the Orioles did one thing right this offseason. They interviewed someone for GM who signed Pujlos and CJ. Unfortuntately they choose their GM's the same way they choose their players. Get soemone no one else wants.

Eh, that's alllllll ownership.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not saying otherwise, if I want Eveland and that's the asking price I move on and find that sort of pitcher elsewhere. Then when I make a real trade I have guys like the ones we are trading to add, to sweeten.

You seemed to have attached yourself to the same SG / NewMarketSean premise that Dana will suck and we shouldn't have given up anything for him. All of you could be right, but to say it a way that sounds like you KNOW you are right is a little silly. We'll find out in time.

CJ Wilson and Darvish come to mind right off the bat. But I never said for free. Anyway the Orioles did one thing right this offseason. They interviewed someone for GM who signed Pujlos and CJ. Unfortuntately they choose their GM's the same way they choose their players. Get soemone no one else wants.

Not to get in the middle but I think we did choose that guy (Dipoto) and he didnt choose us.

Ok, so why not trade Adam Jones for Armando Galarraga? I mean, he did almost throw a perfect game and you just never know what can happen with him. Jones could get hurt and be worthless.

So, let's just make that trade since the past doesn't really mean much, right?

So... if the scouts said that Galarraga had been working hard on a cutter, and that it was a crazy good pitch, you'd tell them to go pound sand, I'm not trading Brandon Snyder for him, since his career ERA sucks. Right?

If we're venturing into extreme black and white hypotheticals, then past performance is future results, correct? Scouts mean nothing.

I think the qualification would be to an equivalency in term and compensation, and also doing the acquisition in a way that no valuable member of the 40 man roster was lost in the process. As will have to be done to add a free player. SO figure out who you will drop and then if the compensation will be somewhat equivalent and then I think it qualifies.
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure. That's why I specifically asked, "Am I understanding the question correctly that this is not what you're looking for the "GMs" to identify?"

You seemed to have attached yourself to the same SG / NewMarketSean premise that Dana will suck and we shouldn't have given up anything for him. All of you could be right, but to say it a way that sounds like you KNOW you are right is a little silly. We'll find out in time.

This is being so overstated. So maybe I or SG or Sean exaggerated but I think it has far less to do with how awful Eveland is going to be and more so the resources we are giving up in these trades.

On whether or not Eveland will be good, I have no reason to think he will be anything but what he has been, but it is what it is. If he bounces back, great. Not often do we get that right though.

Two pages and not one alternative name is pretty telling. Even #5 quality starters are not available for free. Tony has made his point.

I mentioned 2. I am not an expert on minor league talent. I follow teams in other sports (Ravens, Capitals, Manchester City) and none of them have the attitude we can't afford any players that another team would want and as soon as a player is availabe for free agency we will lose them. Don't you see how pathetic this strategy is? Trading for a 28 year old minor leaguer that 6 other teams have already given up on? WHo had a mediocre year in triple A last year?

Archived