On the Record: Better pitchers available that could be had for free instead of Eveland

Tony-OH

Ok, it's time for you evaluators out there to put up or shut up about the Eveland trade. I've seen things thrown around that suggest you can shake a tree and ten Eveland's fall out or that you can find a guy like Eveland anytime and that there are many available right now for free.

So here's your mission:

Put down the names of pitchers who will be better than Eveland in 2012 who are available for free right now. You can even put down pitchers you believe will be DFA'd or non-tendered before arbitration.

Here are the posters that believe they are smarter than DD and his staff on this trade: 9brady,

atomic,

blid,

bOhs01,

Brian88,

ChaosLex,

ChrisAF79,

dabirds,

Dipper9,

DoobyDoo,

Dwight Schrute,

Enjoy Terror,

Florida_Osfan,

gfrank,

glenn__davis,

JamesI,

JanJaap,

JayGibbons31,

LookinUp,

lovetoaster,

mazarelo,

MikeAD,

Mongolbird,

nevadaO,

NewMarketSean,

PaulFolk,

playbaltimorecom,

sakata_catching,

Singleton,

Sports Guy,

square634,

SteveA,

SurhoffRules,

utvolzac,

WORST OWNER

I expect that each of you will have no problems finding these pitchers so put it down on record and at the end of next year, we'll see if you or DD was right. since this was such a horrible trade and since Eveland is such "trash," this should be simple endeavor.

Let's not rehash the trade in this thread, it's just for you to go on record with your choices. You don't have to add analysis to each pitcher if you don't want to, just the names are fine. Also, if you didn't like the trade because of what we gave up, please tell us what you think the players traded will become in the major leagues.

EPIC THREAD

And man are there a bunch of 'keyboard tough guys' catching feelings...

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMO, people need to get called out more often around here.

I have no problem being "called out", but I admit that I prefer it to be for something that I actually said. While I don't doubt that you can find pitchers similar to Eveland in quality for free, I don't think I ever made that argument (though I could be wrong, it's been a long 2 days for me :)). The main reason I don't like the trade is because I think it was pointless and a waste of time, and I'm tired of watching replacement-level pitchers get battered around the East. I want to see some legitimate improvement to this staff. Obviously acquiring Eveland doesn't stop them from doing that, but again, I just dont see the point to it.

This is an insignificant move. I don't think it does anything to help or hurt our organization. Why does the FO not invest the time and effort involved in this deal to actually improve some part of the team?

It's an insignificant move with enough major league potential to justify the sacrifice of two minor league spare parts. I believe the FO has invested the time and effort because DD has very little room to maneuver and he's budgeting for one expensive acquisition, probably another pitcher. In that sense, he is trying to "improve some part of the team." He just has to do it with one hand tied behind his back.

You must not be paying attention. Garret Atkins and past Oriole incompetence trumps 10 Guthrie's. Eveland's Minor League stats are awful. Not only that, all Evelands are the same, are available for free, and we were dumb enough to pay for one.

Explain to me why you don't have a job in an MLB front office since you know more than anyone in the O's front office? Must be your winning personality. Hardy, Jones, Guthrie, Reynolds, Uehara all excellent trades / acquisitions. Garrett Atkins was an extremely minor move in the grand scheme of things. Comparing him to Guthrie, who's been an absolute brilliant signing for the O's, shows a level of ignorance that belies imagining.

And if a career minor league 60.0 Win %, 3.56 ERA, 1.293 WHIP, 7.9 K/9 and 2.62 SO / BB ratio is awful, what exactly do you think is good? Do you even know how to read?

Explain to me why you don't have a job in an MLB front office since you know more than anyone in the O's front office? Must be your winning personality. Hardy, Jones, Guthrie, Reynolds, Uehara all excellent trades / acquisitions. Garrett Atkins was an extremely minor move in the grand scheme of things. Comparing him to Guthrie, who's been an absolute brilliant signing for the O's, shows a level of ignorance that belies imagining.

And if a career minor league 60.0 Win %, 3.56 ERA, 1.293 WHIP, 7.9 K/9 and 2.62 SO / BB ratio is awful, what exactly do you think is good? Do you even know how to read?

Given how solid CA-ORIOLE's posts usually are, I suspect this is sarcasm without the smilie.

It's especially cool to call out a bunch of people for no reason and then disappear from the thread as your argument gets dismantled.

Technically, his argument won't be dismantled until May 1st, when Eveland's ERA is 6.00. I'm not sure what's worth paying for in Eveland that we couldn't have gotten for free from Zach Duke.

It's something that will never be exactly apples to apples, since whatever other pitchers are used for comparison will be for better or worse teams, in better or worse home parks for pitching. Then there is the question of if Eveland is going to be a RP or a SP. I mean as a SP, guys like Duke, Chris Young, Maholm, Jeff Francis or Aaron Cook could do much better if they signed in say SD or LAD, but I don't think you should make the comparison of them there and a SP here in CY. As a RP there are guys like Heilman, MacDougal, Linebrink, but same thing there, who knows what role and park they are in, because those things factor in.

I don't really care one way or the other, because we didn't give up anything of value, no matter what people think. We gave up more risk in the Teagarden deal, but even that wasn't anything major. People are just being homers right now, because they are still holding on to hope that some of the damaged goods/low picks made in the past couple years would come back and be amazing...the odds are against it.

Eveland isn't bad to have as a swing guy at a good controllable salary. Pitching depth is always good. I guess more correctly is if people want to be upset, your comparison is like Hendrickson or Jakubuskas. That's the kinda role you are probably looking at him in for now. The overreaction about the deal is completely unnecessary, but the calling people out about it from a poll is probably going a bit too far too.

Well Tony's 2 biggest reasons were increased velocity by Eveland, which is flat out wrong and pitch values from last year...in 29 IP and those values were way worse in the rest of his career.

So you tell me, how are those 2 things valid but stats aren't?

I'm at a wrestling tourney so I don't have time, but if you are going to say something about me try and be accurate. I never said eveland thre harder, I said he had plus wFB numbers last year. That was because he commanded the pitch better and has added some sink. You are absolutely correct that they were better then his career numbers, the hope is that he has found something that makes him more effective. My entire point in all of this is that this new found potential, is worth a c minus a-ball pitcher and a non prospect. My issue is with people who claim he is total trash when we have some solid triple a numbers and some improved pitch values, albeit in a small sample size.

Archived