#Orioles and #Braves are making progress on an Adam Jones deal. Hearing Jurrjens is involved

Greg

I agree with this ...But if the Braves truly are cash strapped like the Braves fan has said in this thread you'd think theyd be avoiding a guy thats getting expensive and wants Markakis type money.

They are no where NEAR as cash strapped as people are making them out to be, that's speculation. Earlier this offseason they were kicking the tires on some of the more expensive guys, and they have a ton of money coming off the books after this season. I think their total payroll after '12 is like $14m plus some arb numbers. Lowe comes off the books next year, Jones comes off the books next year, the only REAL contract they are locked into is Uggla. If fans are taking their not wanting to spend money now as being cash strapped, that's an assumption, but they have other reasons for not signing a ton of free agents right now, not just a money thing. They are in evaluation mode and trying to figure out who they want to work with long term and who they want gone.

The end all to this discussion should be that ATL is peddling Prado and JJ to any team with a heartbeat. If a team wants to get rid of two players so bad, you should run far far away.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But if the Braves truly are cash strapped like the Braves fan has said in this thread you'd think theyd be avoiding a guy thats getting expensive and wants Markakis type money.

I honestly have a hard time seeing the Braves extending him, which is why it is kind of surprising they have gone after him so hard. Now they do have a bunch of money opening up next offseason after Lowe, Chipper, and Bourn are off the books, but the are going to have to spend some big money on a LF. This is the reason I mostly expected us to go after younger CF's that will be under control and cheaper for a longer period of time.

It's really a strange trade rumor from both sides, to be honest.

I honestly have a hard time seeing the Braves extending him, which is why it is kind of surprising they have gone after him so hard. Now they do have a bunch of money opening up next offseason after Lowe, Chipper, and Bourn are off the books, but the are going to have to spend some big money on a LF. This is the reason I mostly expected us to go after younger CF's that will be under control and cheaper for a longer period of time.

I guess the trade makes sense for a couple of reasons. One,Jones mat not want to sign an extension with the O's. O's need pitching and perhaps a leadoff hitter and second baseman. The Braves like Jones and gives power to the lineup. JJ has some health issues.

I guess the trade makes sense for a couple of reasons. One,Jones mat not want to sign an extension with the O's. O's need pitching and perhaps a leadoff hitter and second baseman. The Braves like Jones and gives power to the lineup. JJ has some health issues.

What good does Jurrjens do us over the next two years, health issues or no?

Jones will also be a Type A comp under the new rules, I'd imagine, and is highly unlikely to accept arbitration and forgo his first shot at FA.

t

The only strange thing to me is why we'd be targeting or want guys like JJ and/or Prado in return. That's not to say the return isn't fair. I just don't see the reason unless we're flipping one/both of these guys. Maybe we don't match up. Quite honestly Jones needs to go to LF/RF imo where I think he'd probably WAR out quite a bit better. Maybe a solid 3+/4. His success hinges on him developing into a 30 Plus HR guy and exercising a bit more plate discipline. Both of which may be very reasonable assumptions.

The only strange thing to me is why we'd be targeting or want guys like JJ and/or Prado in return. That's not to say the return isn't fair. I jsut dont see the reason unless we're flipping one/both of these guys. Maybe we don't match up. Quite honestly Jones needs to go to LF/RF imo where I think he'd probably WAR out quite a bit better. Maybe a s solid 3+/4. His success hinges on him developing into a 30 Plus HR guy and exercising a bit more plate discipline. Both of which may be very reasonable assumptions.

This wasn't a deal that was about the O's trying to get something, it was about the Braves being determined to move that package of players somewhere and we had some interest. That's why it will die because it doesn't really make a lot of sense for us, and the Braves aren't interested in trading any pieces they really value.

WAS/SF are much better fits I think, but the Gio deal killed the chances of WAS being able to deal enough and I don't know if I like the stuff SF has without Wheeler.

I think it's time to retire this rumor for awhile. From the MLBTR chat just now:

Comment From Mike

Are there any developments on the Jurrgens front for the Braves?

Tim Dierkes:

I think he will stay put. We know there's nothing going on with the Orioles currently. The Rockies could have a shot but I don't think teams are placing big value on Jurrjens right now.

You might be right ...but i think someone from the team would be saying the deals dead right?

You might be right ...but i think someone from the team would be saying the deals dead right?

Why does someone have to come out and say the deal is dead? If it's truly dead then I wouldn't expect to hear anything about it again.

I don;t think this trade rumor is junk. But most trades do not get made . The talks are fluid and nowhere?

between the Braves and Orioles about Adam Jones are “nowhere,” according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (Twitter links). The Braves won’t trade a top young starter for Jones, so there’s no momentum for a deal. However, talks remain fluid and Martin Prado and Jair Jurrjens could be involved. The Braves are understandably reluctant to part with pitchers such as Brandon Beachy, Mike Minor, Julio Teheran, Arodys Vizcaino and Randall Delgado.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/orioles-notes-jones-hardy-fielder-saunders.html

Just to clarify, I don't know anything or have inside info, but I wouldn't doubt that this information getting out means that Jones is being shopped pretty actively.

The Phil Wood article about him being told ,that Jones might not want an extension. I am not hearing any other Oriole players names being shopped. We shall see.

Archived