The Orioles acquired outfielder Jai Miller from the Athletics

Greg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or, could they be bringing in a bunch of people to compete for LF? Miller is supposed to be a great defender who never got a shot to stick on an ML team. Gaudy numbers in the PCL (of course that is the PCL) but this move kind of has a certain whiff of "maybe the Orioles found someone that was overlooked".

I think that DD is looking more for a LF'er than he is moving Jones.

Ehhh, this doesn't make much sense.

You already have a good defender for LF in Chavez. Starting Reimold at DH and a platoon of Miller and Chavez in LF is pretty weak.

Miller gives you a legit 5th OF option in AAA...and by legit, I mean a decent depth guy to keep on the bench and not worry if he plays once a week, unlike a top prospect or something like that.

But, he is a guy that if you do trade Jones, that you can do something with and use for the time being.

From the 2010 Prospect Handbook:

-3 sport star in HS

-4th round pick

-Hit under .210 in first four seasons

-Kept working to tighten up swing resulting in climbing OBP (.273 in '03 to .360 in '09)

-Plus raw power, plus speed, gaining reliability in CF

-More arm strength than most CF with wavering accuracy

-Learning to translate quickness to SBs

-Late bloomer; some see Mike Cameron characteristics

-Could fill in for Maybin if he falters

Ehhh, this doesn't make much sense.

You already have a good defender for LF in Chavez. Starting Reimold at DH and a platoon of Miller and Chavez in LF is pretty weak.

Miller gives you a legit 5th OF option in AAA...and by legit, I mean a decent depth guy to keep on the bench and not worry if he plays once a week, unlike a top prospect or something like that.

But, he is a guy that if you do trade Jones, that you can do something with and use for the time being.

Well he is not a top prospect, but he put up consistent numbers for years in the minors and appears to have simply never gotten a shot. Blocked? I'm just wondering the blind squirrell finally found a nut here. This feels like a move that is Friedman made we would be asking, why didn't the Orioles get him for nothing?

I see what you're saying and I don't disagree. DD is obviously stock-piling for something. But I don't think he moves Jones for anything less than the moon if he is replacing him with Chavez/Miller/Angle. Now, if he had Cespedes in the fold, he might move Jones for less.

I am just saying that I think DD maybe trying to address other things (leadoff man, OBP, LF) that don't necessarily have much of anything to do with Jones.

So basically, we've added this guy to our 40 man roster and removed Snyder, right? I think it makes logistical sense, because we really need Mahoney to play in AAA.

As an aside, while I do not expect Snyder is ever going to amount to much, I always rooted for the kid. He was a hard worker and seemed like a really good guy, and I liked his swing. For a while, before he fizzled at Norfolk, he looked like he might develop into a decent hitter. I'm sort of sorry to see him go, purely from an emotional standpoint. From a baseball perspective, we probably haven't lost much.

Well he is not a top prospect, but he put up consistent numbers for years in the minors and appears to have simply never gotten a shot. Blocked? I'm just wondering the blind squirrell finally found a nut here. This feels like a move that is Friedman made we would be asking, why didn't the Orioles get him for nothing?

I see what you're saying and I don't disagree. DD is obviously stock-piling for something. But I don't think he moves Jones for anything less than the moon if he is replacing him with Chavez/Miller/Angle. Now, if he had Cespedes in the fold, he might move Jones for less.

I am just saying that I think DD maybe trying to address other things (leadoff man, OBP, LF) that don't necessarily have much of anything to do with Jones.

Miller is depth, nothing more.

We can try to come up with theories about why this could blow up for us but let's get out of fantasy land and be realistic.

If the plan is for him to be the starting LFer or leadoff man, there is a big issue here.

Now, if the plan is for us to trade Jones and have Miller come to ST with a chance to be one of the guys on the 25 man roster and see what he can do, that's fine.

But it should be no more than that.

We can try to come up with theories about why this could blow up for us but let's get out of fantasy land and be realistic.

If the plan is for him to be the starting LFer or leadoff man, there is a big issue here.

Now, if the plan is for us to trade Jones and have Miller come to ST with a chance to be one of the guys on the 25 man roster and see what he can do, that's fine.

And I'm guessing this is exactly what DD is doing. I'd rather have a guy like Miller, who has some pop, than a guy like Angle as that guy in AAA who would be ready if there is an injury or a deal for Jones on the table.

I think this is a very good move, and I think he could be useful to this team in a limited role.

Here are very interesting quotes from DD. Makes some revealing comments about OBP. I think Jones will be traded.

Do the Orioles need a clear room in their outfield to give him sufficient at-bats?

"If he's not playing every day, he's capable of coming off the bench and stealing a base for you, and he can pinch hit. And if he runs into a ball, there's a good chance he's going to get an extra-base hit. And he can play defense in all three outfield positions," Duquette said.

"He would probably hit for more power if he had more at-bats. If he's not playing every day, he does have those other skills."

Duquette is still looking to add a starting pitcher, and he wants to improve the club's on-base capability "from top to bottom."

When I asked whether he needs to find a leadoff hitter in case Brian Roberts can't play, Duquette said, "I think we have options to play second base. I'm not sure they're currently on our roster. I'm not sure a .380 on base percentage is in our lineup with players who can play second base.

"Our on-base capability, we need to upgrade that. We need to place more emphasis on that."

In other words, this roster isn't set. Duquette has more moves in the works.

We may have to wait until next week before the Orioles announce more hires and their minor league staffs.

Snyder wasn't much different than Michael Aubrey, and made that comparison when both were here. I hope the change of scenery benefits him.

His bat would play fine at catcher. If my memory serves me correctly, he was moved out of position based on our organizational needs rather more than ability.

But why can't the plan be for Miller to come in here and try to make the 25-man WITH Jones. I mean we have room. I don't think Scott is coming back. I think Reimold would be a good DH option who could also play LF and even 1B if necessary.

Thats all I'm saying, if he is good enough to complete for a 25-man spot without Jones here, why can't that be the case WITH Jones and Miller moving into LF?

I don't disagree with anything you are saying, but I'm just throwing out another option. He is good enough to compete to potentially replace Jones in CF why can't he be good enough to potentially replace a vacancy we have?

Archived