If Jones goes, Wieters has to go too.

JTrea81

Those two are the future of this club. You can't deal one and keep the other.

Trading Jones signals a rebuild. You can spin it anyway you want but if you don't get talent back for Jones that can contribute right away and you don't replace his bat with proven talent, that's a loss in the near future.

I know people want to give up on 2012 already and build for 2014, but that means you have one or two years of Matt Wieters in his prime behind the plate left. You won't want to extend him well into his 30s as look at the mess the Twins have with Mauer now.

Catchers do not age well defensively. His arm strength is going to drop off and he's going to have issues with his knees and back most likely given his tall frame.

Boras is going to want something pretty substantial for him even if he only improves sllightly offensively and if he takes off, look out.

It's pretty clear that Wieters will have to be traded at some point.

So if you are going to waste 2012 and 2013, it makes no sense to keep Wieters now as he's just being wasted on a losing team when he would have enormous trade value, much more than Jones.

If you really want to get something from Atlanta, offer them a Jones and Wieters package for instance.

You could get 3-4 top prospects for Wieters easily as catchers like him are that rare. And we can stick anybody behind the plate on a losing club. Why waste Wieters there when he has that trade value?

And the sooner you trade him, the sooner those prospects can get ML experience to help with the team in 2014. If you wait to deal him a year or so later, now you have to wait for those prospects to develop and now you are really looking at 2015-2016 to compete.

And that's far too long to wait.

If you want to start that rebuild now for 2014, you've got to deal Wieters now to maximize your talent acquisition and allow time for development.

I can't disagree more. Jones is a highly overrated player with huge holes in his game who will probably never be an All-Star or Gold Glover again, much less a cornerstone player for a franchise.

Wieters is going to be a perennial GG / AS and is only going to get better as time goes by. Wieters is also critical not just for his production at the plate and his defense, but just as importantly for how he handles the O's pitching staff and calls games.

Replacing Wieters would be nigh impossible. Replacing Jones wouldn't even necessarily be a significant challenge.

In 2014, Wieters should be just reaching his prime. In 2014 I wouldn't be shocked to see Jones struggling to hold onto a starting job.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was no reason to read beyond the logical fallacy of the thread title.

We could all play the same game back. Like, if Monkeys read the newspaper, then mortgage rates will drop.

See how fun it is to make up random statements that have nothing to do with each other?

Adam Jones is 2 years from free agency. Wieters has longer and his value will improve this year if his bat continues to develop. Just because your trading high on Jones doesnt me you must trade Matt now. I am in for the total rebuild and would deal everyone of the roster thats over 25.

Jones is much more established and productive than Young was. Not the same.

So you are saying Jones should be able to get a pitcher better than Garza in a trade... I would think that would make us more competitive. Can you name a pitcher better than Garza who wouldnt make us more competitive?

The problem with this logic is you likely wouldn't be selling Wieters at his highest value.

Right now, you would be trading Jones at what is likely to be his highest value.

Its a very simple yet completely misunderstood point.

That really depends on (i) how the league views Wieters and (ii) what Wieters does next.

It's entirely possible (and maybe 40% likely) that Wieters' value right now is as high as it will ever be.

Look at Wieters' September stats, look at his year long defensive stats. The man is on the verge of having the breakout season we hoped he'd have the day they brought him up.

Trading Wieters to the Braves would net us Tommy Hanson and prospects. Trading Jones to the Braves to get Hanson; the Orioles would have to throw in prospects. That's how vastly different the gap between Jones and Wieters is.

Archived