Markakis has surgery

wellsk86

Per Connolly on twitter: "#Orioles RF Nick Markakis underwent significant abdomen surgery on Thursday in Philly to repair a torn rectus abdominus muscle

Markakis is hopeful he will be able to be ready by Opening Day but will have a significantly lighter load in ST. Made initial plans w Buck"

Makes me wonder why they waited so long to do this? I just hope he is ready for OD

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Per Connolly on twitter: "#Orioles RF Nick Markakis underwent significant abdomen surgery on Thursday in Philly to repair a torn rectus abdominus muscle

Markakis is hopeful he will be able to be ready by Opening Day but will have a significantly lighter load in ST. Made initial plans w Buck"

Makes me wonder why they waited so long to do this? I just hope he is ready for OD

I don't know why, but this seems to be the modus operandi with this team. It seems like they take forever to act on these types of things.

Well, this is just terrible news on many levels.

First of all, will he be ready?

Secondly, does this in any way impact the Jones trade talks(I can't imagine it does)

Lastly, this basically kills any chance of him having a significant offseason workout program to add the muscle he needs to add.

I wouldn't expect him to do too much to start the year production wise either.

And of course, why did they wait so long to get this done?

How do you know they waited? Maybe he hurt it climbing into a deer blind?

Because he had the ab issue at the end of the season and was still recovering from it in the offseason last we heard.
On a conference call to talk about his Rawlings Gold Glove Award, Nick Markakis updated reporters on an injury. If you recall, he was taken out of the last game of the season with a bone bruise in the abdomen area.

"It happened a couple of weeks prior to the end of the season, stealing a base, just dove in and hurt myself. As far as healthy right now, I'd say I'm about 70 to 75 percent. Just a slow healing process. I'm taking it easy, resting. That's about all you can do for a bone bruise," Markakis said.

"That last series in Toronto (from Sept. 9-11) I stole second and my belt buckle went into my pelvic bone and got me knocked up pretty good and just repeatedly diving on it toward the end of the season. I think it was the second to last game of the year, I dove for that ball down the right-field line and I kind of put a dagger in my stomach. It was not feeling too well, but it's better now. I'll be ready to roll here in a couple of weeks."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2011/11/markakis-updates-an-injury-and-talks-about-the-gold-glove.html

Not saying that it isn't the same injury but it is entirely possible that it is a separate injury.

A bone bruise would seem to be a far cry from a torn rectus abdominus muscle. And a couple of weeks is a far cry from having surgery three months later.

Well, this is just terrible news on many levels.

First of all, will he be ready?

Secondly, does this in any way impact the Jones trade talks(I can't imagine it does)

Lastly, this basically kills any chance of him having a significant offseason workout program to add the muscle he needs to add.

I wouldn't expect him to do too much to start the year production wise either.

And of course, why did they wait so long to get this done?

I took it as good news, because it's potentially fixing what was wrong with him last year. Maybe this impacted more than just the last month or two, maybe it was an ongoing thing that just got worse. I don't particularly care if he's out the first few weeks, or can't do 100% of his offseason workouts if he's back to full strength.

It's fixing a problem instead of hoping he just got better.

Archived