Markakis has surgery

wellsk86

Another difference is that it looks like I was right.

Based on what? A lot of speculation and assumption? None of us knows what actually happened, so none of us are going to be right. If you are THAT concerned with being right guessing about a pro athlete's injury, then ok, sure, you were right, here's your cookie.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is as tough as they come. Maybe too tough for his own good, this time.

Agreed. Fine line between being tough enough to play through minor injuries and injuring yourself worse.

I did something similar once diving for a ball, just an ab bruise, but it HURT worse than breaking a rib because EVERY time you moved it hurt there was no resting it unless you were completely laid out and still.

Based on what? A lot of speculation and assumption? None of us knows what actually happened, so none of us are going to be right.

I think that you are correct that it is foolish to try to second guess the Orioles' handling of this injury just by what we can stitch together from some media reports. It seems pretty unlikely to me that the Orioles were cavalier in deciding how to handle a medical issue involving their most expensive player. And don't forget, the player has some say in what happens, too.

You have a quote from Markakis talking about the two MRI's. Again, I'll keep an open mind, but it sure would be odd for him not to mention any MRI's taken in between those two. Facts in evidence point to two MRI's taken months apart. Your witness counselor.

You're right, that's why I said we won't know anything for sure without knowing that, but two months apart isn't actually THAT far out of the question. Like I said with mine they were 3-4 weeks apart and only because I made them (I knew something wasn't right). Maybe after the first (when they couldn't see how bad it was because of swelling) he had some improvement and nothing to make them think it wasn't what they thought at first and then after a couple more weeks of it not improving they went back in to look. If we were talking like 4 months I'd be way more concerned, but I could see it taking 2 months to get another MRI done.

I think that you are correct that it is foolish to try to second guess the Orioles' handling of this injury just by what we can stitch together from some media reports. It seems pretty unlikely to me that the Orioles were cavalier in deciding how to handle a medical issue involving their most expensive player. And don't forget, the player has some say in what happens, too.

It's just sad that this debate is being stirred up at all because our intelligent fan base is so used to the team screwing up everything they do we just assume they did something wrong.

Are we really judging if the O's handled this right based on a Sports article? Do we have the MRI's that might have shown a slight tear at the beginning and did not require surgery. Do we know if Markakis tore it worse over the period from the first MRI. Do we know if the doctor followed the usual path in such a case. We really don't have any facts. This was not written up in the New England Journal of Medicine journal. Doctor's do make mistakes and also surgery is usually the final option on most procedures. Drugs,rest and rehab are the first steps. Who knows if surgery was scheduled for a month later due to the doctor being busy and the holidays.

You weren't a million dollar athlete. The Orioles should have been pro-active in this. 4 weeks makes a huge difference. 8 weeks even more. We're talking about a player who won't be full strength for ST or the start of the regular season. A month or two makes all of the difference for someone you want to be in top physical condition. The 2nd MRI should have been ORDERED as soon as the swelling went down enough to take a 2nd one. That's a medical question I don't have the answer to. However, that does not to have been the Orioles stance. Instead, it was "Let's see how he does with rest". When that didn't work, they ordered the 2nd MRI. IF that's the way it went down then the Orioles and their medical staff are morons once again.

Swelling can take a month to go down. The O's have some pretty good ortho guys. I don't think they are morons. Sometimes patients don't want to admit how much pain they are in.

Are we really judging if the O's handled this right based on a Sports article? Do we have the MRI's that might have shown a slight tear at the beginning and did not require surgery. Do we know if Markakis tore it worse over the period from the first MRI. Do we know if the doctor followed the usual path in such a case. We really don't have any facts. This was not written up in the New England Journal of Medicine journal. Doctor's do make mistakes and also surgery is usually the final option on most procedures. Drugs,rest and rehab are the first steps. Who knows if surgery was scheduled for a month later due to the doctor being busy and the holidays.

Thank you! One of the all time silliest debates. We have no idea what happened and have no access to medical records.

There are so many areas to which we have lots of data to show Oriole screw ups, we don't need to add this one to the pile when we don't know it to be true.

You weren't a million dollar athlete. The Orioles should have been pro-active in this. 4 weeks makes a huge difference. 8 weeks even more. We're talking about a player who won't be full strength for ST or the start of the regular season. A month or two makes all of the difference for someone you want to be in top physical condition. The 2nd MRI should have been ORDERED as soon as the swelling went down enough to take a 2nd one. That's a medical question I don't have the answer to. However, that does not to have been the Orioles stance. Instead, it was "Let's see how he does with rest". When that didn't work, they ordered the 2nd MRI. IF that's the way it went down then the Orioles and their medical staff are morons once again.

No I wasn't but I have been in similar situations and told you how these situations are generally handled. Like I said in one post, when you have swelling interfere it doesn't show up really, you can still see the stuff you are looking for, so it SEEMS like there is nothing wrong, but if you take another one with less swelling you will see new things you didn't before. It's really weird how it works. A month or two in the offseason is different than in season. And you don't know that there weren't other reasons it wasn't scheduled sooner. Maybe Nick had plans and couldn't schedule it until then (he has to agree to this and all). Maybe the doctor had a busy schedule and couldn't get him in until then. Lets see how he does with rest was the DOCTOR'S order not the team, and it was absolutely the right call. A timeline on when Nick should say that things weren't improving enough is going to be subjective on him reporting it as well.

Again, in the end we don't know exactly what happened, so we can't pass judgement either way, but in a normal medical scenario 2 months in between MRI isn't that far-fetched, so I could see it happening.

1. Mulit million dollar investment

2. Cannot workout this winter

3. Will not be at full strength to start the year

4. 2nd MRI should have been taken as soon as possible

5. It was not, from what I can ascertain

Call the doctor in Philly and ask. I don't think he can answer your questions due to the HIPA laws. We will never know if it was a normal course of action or not.

Archived