(Update) Orioles reach agreement w/ Taiwanese LHP Wei-Yin Chen

Greg

Amen to this. It is refreshing to see for a change.

Yeah, that...or DD is giving out multi-year contracts to unproven Korean and Taiwanese players instead of giving those same contracts to undeserving relievers.

That could be an improvement over the long haul, or it could be more of the same.

I'm not turning any cartwheels until I see the signees in action.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's time to consider Tillman for the bullpen. It's gotten close to "cut bait" time with him so I don't see how more time in AAA will do him any good. He needs to learn how to get MLB batters out and the best way for him to do that is in the MLB.

Matusz can start in AAA. But it will be really interesting to see how he does in ST. It'll actually be refreshing to have something relevant to follow in ST this year.

It's time to consider Tillman for the bullpen. It's gotten close to "cut bait" time with him so I don't see how more time in AAA will do him any good. He needs to learn how to get MLB batters out and the best way for him to do that is in the MLB.

Matusz can start in AAA. But it will be really interesting to see how he does in ST. It'll actually be refreshing to have something relevant to follow in ST this year.

Moreso if DD stills pulls a trade for Floyd or JJ or some other out of left field pitcher. Looks like a possibility that Norfolk ends up with a good rotation from some of the extra "Depth".

The other thing all these starting pitching moves tells me is this....

...Double D isn't NEARLY as impressed with our young cavalry as MacPhail was, and he seems dead set on making anyone and everyone EARN their way onto the team.

I love it.

This is what I love, and I hope he makes it that way at every position, not just in the rotation. Our top prospects (Jones, Wieters, Matusz, Britton, etc) had their jobs handed to them. They all had succeess in the minors, but they still had their jobs handed to them. I love that DD is making it so a rotation spot has to be earned. If Wada turns out to be a bust and someone that spends his career in the bullpen or in the minors, but his signing makes Arrieta or Britton work that much harder and get that much better, then it was a penny well spent. I hope people look at it that way and don't necessarily look at it based off of their performance alone. DD is trying to create as much depth as possible. MacPhail would try to do that with guys like Atkins and Duscherer and Tejada. DD is doing it with guys that make the young pitchers think a little bit more about their spot in the rotation being safe. I don't think we win this year. I don't think Eveland is going to turn into an ace. I do however love what DD is doing with this team and the signings that he is making.

People aren't going to like it , but I brought up the possibility recently. Arrieta and/or Britton could both wind up starting the season in the bullpen. I think I'm the only one who doesn't have a big problem with that. You could see a rotation of.

Guthrie

Chen

Hunter

Wada

Eveland

It's not that farfetched if you look at the moves DD has made. People will say that that is a stupid idea but if the starters are decent, it could give you a heckuva bullpen to win the majority of the close ones.

Agreed!

I think Tillman and BB could be the obvious ones being sent back down if needed. You can't just assume that everything is OK with Matusz so he could also be sent down for sometime.

You could also see a rotation of: Jackson, JJ, Chen, Britton, and Matusz/Hunter/Simon

Could mean that some are going to be back in Norfolk.

I think that's a given for Tillman. I'm still holding out hope that the 2010 version of Matusz shows up at ST and forces his way back into the rotation. Whoever doesn't impress gets moved to the BP or slipped through waivers. I'm assuming DD is pretty confident that Chen is going to be part of the rotation.

This signing provides optionality.

If Matusz recovers his pitching motion deception and velocity in Spring Training, well then he can break camp with the big boys.

On the other hand, it gives the option to leverage Peterson to rework both Tillman and Matusz mechanics without any need to have them as immediate starters at the big league level.

Archived