Roch: Trade talks with Jones are "intensifying" again?

ChaosLex

Since 2008 away from OPACY in 1120 PAs AJ has a

.310 obp .408 slug% .718 OPS .140 4.1% bb rate 21.1% k rate

All that with a .319 Babip...so hes lucky to have those numbers.

By the way he's been well below average in CF with only his arm giving him any value at all on D.

I am starting to see why Braves fans are so blown away by DD's asking price...Although I would love to see him pull a fast one a get some of there great arms I just don't think he will pull it off.

By the way most of AJ's road games are in the very hitter friendly parks of the AL east...The guy is the product of OPACY plain and simple.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jones would extend if the team was committed to winning around him.

Why do you overvalue Jones so much? You act like he's this center piece, that losing him will create a gaping hole. I think losing him would create an opportunity: to go out and get a more defensively capable center fielder, which will help our young staff, and to reorient our lineup towards having more guys who get on base.

If the Orioles did a straight Jurrjens + Prado for Jones deal, which they shouldn't, but if they did it would make the team better right now. If you say you want to win right now, why not trade Jones for two players that the Orioles can use right away?

I bet the Nats are currently among the most interested, especially if they are feeling pretty confident about landing Fielder.

For people more knowledgeable of the Nats' farm system, do they have any worthy trade pieces?

Don't know what to say here, but I will touch on a couple topics.

1.) The Braves are talking to the Orioles about Jones which means they think that he can help the Braves enough to warrant giving up 3-5 very good players or prospects. I think that we give Jones a hard time and if they move Jones to LF than you might see the need for his range to decrease and his arm could give him even more assists from LF.

2.) Since the Orioles do not seem to have many good OBP guys it is funny that you bring up Jones and OBP. The Orioles were 9th in SLG and 19th in OBP. Jones needs to get on base more and if he does that a little better than you will see his OPS really climb and he will be elite. His ability to draw walks and get on base is the only thing stoping him from being elite and elite is very expensive.

3.) Jones is a 4th OF? You are outside of your mind. Jones would be the #2 OF'er in NY, Boston, Tampa and Toronto and that is before he has hit his full potential. This mindset that Jones is really below average defensively is mind numbing to me. Most teams would love to have a guy like Adam Jones in the outfield.

4.) Jones was worth 2.9 WAR last year and that was with the weak defensive metrics showing his was average to slightly below average. There is going to be a day where Jones' defensive numbers help him and his offensive numbers will be a little better IMO. His 2.9 WAR could easily be worth 4.5 WAR and that is Prince Fielder territory IMO.

I am not so sure that he hasn't already reached his full potential already....And as far as giving him the benefit of the doubt on D Idk how you can do that logically.

We are not talking SSS fluke D numbers, we are talking about three straight full seasons of very poor D numbers...For all we know UZR could be overvaluing his D...Maybe he is a 1.9 WAR instead of a 2.9 WAR...

Calling him a 4th outfielder may be a bit of a stretch but if he played on the Giants or Padres he would lose the only part of his game that is valued SLG %...Looking at his away splits and adding a much worse home field (Safeco/Petco) your looking at a guy with a below .700 ops and horrible D....That is a 4th oufielder and maybe a AAAA guy.

I think you mean, Jones would extend if the owner was committed to winning.

The fact is, our options for how to build a winning team with this owner are limited. To transition to the only way we can do this (through young talent) will take time (e.g., getting out of bad contracts now). Jones doesn't want to wait and we likely wouldn't have the resources made available by PA to build around an expensive Jones.

I think you mean, Jones would extend if the owner was committed to winning.

The fact is, our options for how to build a winning team with this owner are limited. To transition to the only way we can do this (through young talent) will take time (e.g., getting out of bad contracts now). Jones doesn't want to wait and we likely wouldn't have the resources made available by PA to build around an expensive Jones.

Right and in reality we don't know if he would extend if the team gets better. He likely will get a big contract from someone when he is free. We could match it, but unless we do something then we would be in a similar spot at that point anyway. We would be signing a player to a big contract and wouldn't have much around him.

It makes sense that a player would take into consideration the chances of his team actually being competitive when deciding whether to extend or not. But that is one of many factors that are considered.

My question is, is your assertion here actually based on things said by Adam Jones, or is it an inference based on your self-created story about what the Orioles should do?

You do not need someone to put up Jones' numbers and play center. You need to find a player who can put up 70% of Jones numbers and a 1B, 2B, 3B and/or LF that put up better numbers and upgrade our starting pitching. Teams are built as complete units and every position can not be a rockstar IMO.

Obviously, but my point stands, we will be looking for someone to put up 70% of Jones numbers plus the other guys that will need to make up the 30%. I think it is pretty common on this board to underestimate the ability to replace Jones/Scott/Guthrie type production. This is compounded by the complete lack of farm system depth.

Given my belief that Jones has little to no interest in staying here I think you have to maximize his value now but assuming that he is easily replaceable is a mistake.

It makes sense that a player would take into consideration the chances of his team actually being competitive when deciding whether to extend or not. But that is one of many factors that are considered.

My question is, is your assertion here actually based on things said by Adam Jones, or is it an inference based on your self-created story about what the Orioles should do?

Strawdog told him...and no, that's not a joke.

Since 2008 away from OPACY in 1120 PAs AJ has a

.310 obp .408 slug% .718 OPS .140 4.1% bb rate 21.1% k rate

All that with a .319 Babip...so hes lucky to have those numbers.

By the way he's been well below average in CF with only his arm giving him any value at all on D.

I am starting to see why Braves fans are so blown away by DD's asking price...Although I would love to see him pull a fast one a get some of there great arms I just don't think he will pull it off.

By the way most of AJ's road games are in the very hitter friendly parks of the AL east...The guy is the product of OPACY plain and simple.

We are lucky to get 1 very good pitching prospect for this guy....2 plus Prado would be awesome.

Can't spell AJ without Overrated or should I say Oriole...Thats it, can't spell Oriole without Overrated...O O O here we go..

O?...O as in AJ has no O without being an O so we hope he gOes.. with or without AndinO nobody knOws...Martin PradO...he really blOws..please O please get DelgadOO..add in JuliOOO and you got a dealeeooo..

Lol you love my flOw..nO?

We are lucky to get 1 very good pitching prospect for this guy....2 plus Prado would be awesome.

Can't spell AJ without Overrated or should I say Oriole...Thats it, can't spell Oriole without Overrated...O O O here we go..

O?...O as in AJ has no O without being an O so we hope he gOes.. with or without AndinO nobody knOws...Martin PradO...he really blOws..please O please get DelgadOO..add in JuliOOO and you got a dealeeooo..

Are you sure this post shouldn't be in the "Post Here When You're Drunk" thread? :D

I cracked up. So drunk. So good.

The best part is that it's 11 AM.

Archived